Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What was your 1st car & what is your fave of those you had.

Views : 8661

Replies : 116

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 5th, 2008, 21:19   #31
CTCNetwork
Forum Support Team

Hi,

Learnt to drive in a VW Beetle 1300 Orange. Talk about stand out!!!

First car was a Mars Red VW Polo. Old style like the Audi 50 but with the plastic bumpers..

What fun!!

Followed that with a Volvo 244 GL... Been downhill since...

Des. . .
People should not be afraid of their governments.
"He'll deliver more justice in a weekend than 10 years of your
Governments should be afraid of their people... "V"
courts & tribunals. Just stay out of his way." "I plan to."
CTCNetwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 21:22   #32
Clan
Experienced Member

1967 Sunbeam Imp sport was my first car

Driven 290000 miles in it , Turbocharged since 1983
998cc . . from 130 bhp to 175 bhp depending on fuel system and camshaft.
Used LE from 360 GLT then K jetronic from 240 GLT now on Emerald engine managment .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pic04.jpg (33.8 KB, 13 views)
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 21:28   #33
JIM C
Forum Support Team

Your Imp looks superb. Not many around these days.
Thanks for posting the photo.
Jim
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 21:39   #34
Swigster T5
Mad Wrench

Smile

My first car was a 1300 ford capri, it was the most sluggish car I ever owned but loads of fun all the same! Picture is obviously not mine but I did try to treat mine like that!! It had to be scrapped after I swung it round a corner and parked it on a wall (oops) I was showing off!

My first ovlov was 850 T5 piles of fun too but problems with overhead gasket forced me to sell (fast)! However, my most fave car by far.

Great thread this is. Pleasure reading all, thanks Paul.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg capri.jpg (2.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg 850_1.jpg (272.9 KB, 2 views)

Swigster T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 22:12   #35
Velorum
VOC Member

My first car was a 1975 Austin Allegro estate - an interesting experience. My most unreliable was my Citroen CX and my all time favourite is my current 240 GLT!
Velorum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 22:19   #36
kev240
Master Member

Here is my list of cars that I have had, my Mk5 Cortina GLS, was a lovely car, my red 360 GLT was a cracker, and Iam enjoying my current 240GLT, and I intend to keep it for a long time. Have photographs of most of my cars, but it would take up too much space to post them all. Passed my test in a GPO Morris Minor van, but it was'nt mine!
Kevin.
Attached Files
File Type: doc CAR LIST.doc (23.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by kev240; Feb 5th, 2008 at 22:26. Reason: Spelling error!
kev240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 22:35   #37
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

First car was a 1953 Ford Pop 1172cc. Really learnt about driving and fixing cars with this one. Three speed box with no synchro on first which was often needed so double duclutching soon mastered. Ultra skinny tyres and one single transverse leaf rear spring meant opposite lock driving was manadtory. Rear axles were so week that I had changing them down to under the hour. Mind you it was basic. Rod operated brakes, clutch pedal direct of the box, vacuum operated wiper (singular) that stopped going up hills. Marvellous 6v electrical sytem operating 2 x 30 watt lights and starting handle for when battery wouldn't cope - often! Oh and no such luxury as heaters or indicators.
My favourite of course goes without saying.
I've lost count of the vehicles I have had through all sorts of cars andvans, a Bedford TK 330 wagon and a Renault Dodge bus.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 22:47   #38
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM C View Post
Your Imp looks superb. Not many around these days.
Thanks for posting the photo.
Jim
Thanks Jim that was the car i wanted when i was 12 , a scottish car built in Linwood with a coventry climax racing derived engine.
The Sunbeam Imp won the British Saloon car championship in 1970 1971 AND 1972 It was clocked at 135 mph down hanger straight at Silverstone ,
998 cc 135 bhp 9000 rpm before Turbochargers ! ... Still winning the Historic Touring Car championships today the last 5 years out of 7 ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill McGovern 1 reduced.jpg (147.8 KB, 2 views)
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 22:52   #39
NDL

My first car was a 1990 998cc Rover Mini. Bought for £1300, worth about half that... although in my young naiveity I just wanted a car and was too excited to care. No idea what edition it started life as... Currently a shell in my (mum's) garage.

My second car is my 1992 1275cc Italian Job edition Rover Mini. Bought for £2550, worth about a grand more; when I bought it in Feb 06, it had 11,500 miles from new.

My third car is my Volvo, a 1994 1986cc turbo 940 GLE, bought for £450 as a workhorse to keep the miles off the Mini.

Pictures: First car - Second car - Third car

My favourite, by far, is my Italian Job Mini (sorry guys!) It's in such good condition and is so fun to drive that the Volvo, even with it's RWD, doesn't come close.
NDL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5th, 2008, 23:01   #40
PeteV70

First car was a Renault 4..took it on the continent winter of 1977, the hoses disintegrated and the heater was bypassed to keep us on the road. Temperature dropped to minus 11 in the Black Forest. My mate had to scrape the condensation that had frozen on the INSIDE of the windscreen so I could see where I was going. Slept in the car a couple of nights...fond memories of when I was young and daft (now just old and daft!).
Favourite has to be Volvo 240 GL estate 2.3 manual 7 seater...it was just perfect for my young family at the time...it felt like I was "driving" a boat but loaded up with a family and roof box or towing a trailer it was just "sorted".
PeteV70 is offline   Reply With Quote