Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Help-parking sensor

Views : 1057

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 7th, 2014, 14:42   #1
shalonbas

Default Help-parking sensor

Just purchased my XC60 with BLIS two weeks ago. Running great so far.

One problem regarding the parking sensor occurred this morning and I am really confused. After dropping off my wife at her building, I released the brake paddle to move forward. This is when my parking sensor started to beep continuously. It was the left front one that triggered the alarm, but there was absolutely nothing in the front. I then stopped the car and checked the front. Everything looked fine to me with no noticeable damage to the front (and nothing was attached to the surface of the sensor). I tried to turn off and on the parking sensor option multiple times, but the beeping sound kept back on consistently (same left front one), even though everything is clear in the front. It was so annoying that I have to turn it off on my way back to my office.

I searched the forum but did not see any similar post. Has anyone had any similar experience before? It was very strange to me, because the parking sensor should sound an alarm whenever there is an obstacle in the surrounding area. But in this case, it was giving false alarms (and did not stop at all) regardless of the scenario.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!
shalonbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2014, 19:40   #2
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalonbas View Post
Just purchased my XC60 with BLIS two weeks ago. Running great so far.

One problem regarding the parking sensor occurred this morning and I am really confused. After dropping off my wife at her building, I released the brake paddle to move forward. This is when my parking sensor started to beep continuously. It was the left front one that triggered the alarm, but there was absolutely nothing in the front. I then stopped the car and checked the front. Everything looked fine to me with no noticeable damage to the front (and nothing was attached to the surface of the sensor). I tried to turn off and on the parking sensor option multiple times, but the beeping sound kept back on consistently (same left front one), even though everything is clear in the front. It was so annoying that I have to turn it off on my way back to my office.

I searched the forum but did not see any similar post. Has anyone had any similar experience before? It was very strange to me, because the parking sensor should sound an alarm whenever there is an obstacle in the surrounding area. But in this case, it was giving false alarms (and did not stop at all) regardless of the scenario.

Any comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance!
I had similar a few years ago after driving through some horrendously wet weather and big puddles - absolutely love doing that - the front left hand got wet inside (according to dealer) and they replaced it - never had the issue since.

Might be the issue?
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 08:23   #3
Whyman
Premier Member

I had a similar problem on a Merc E class. The front parking sensor would go off for no reason, but it was worse when the weather was warmer.

A lot of reading and a chance read on a Merc form I found another owner who had the same problem.

The simple cause was one of the front number plate adhesive pads was failing and allowing the number plate to move slightly. New set of pads sorted the problem.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 10:08   #4
polsesnabb

Default Known issue

Sadly, parking sensors have been known to be an issue on a few Volvos, not on XC60 in particular. I assume the parts are similar on most Volvos.

However, I experienced the same, and had to go back to the dealer´s on several occasions. I even had to send them a Video as proof, as there of course was never an issue when I finally got there.

In the end they had to change the "whole unit" as they put it, as it was angled incorrectly. Sounds strange to me. It always occurred in wet weather, or right after.
polsesnabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2014, 01:32   #5
shalonbas

Thank you all for the above replies.

Just wanna give a quick update. The sensor went back to normal when I restarted the car that afternoon. I did nothing and the weather became dry. I will take the car to the dealer once it happens again.

This incident explains exactly that human has the best sensors and these electronic gadgets have to be used with caution at the moment.
shalonbas is offline   Reply With Quote