Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Most efficient speed for xc90 2005 D5?

Views : 1117

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2020, 12:58   #11
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dastardly Diesel View Post
Instantaneous is one thing. Achieving a high average is another. At 70 I can get 'infinite' MPG by lifting off or driving down a hill, but that won't make much of an average.
Obviously i am referring to a level road, how long is the road/journey that the official AMPG based on?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2020, 13:58   #12
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
I don't suppose I could have a quick look at it round the back of the bikesheds?

My father owned one in the mid-eighties and I remember thinking it was futuristic! And that's before we consider the synthesised voice of the MG model.

What a shame BL made them all out of rust and sealing wax.
Nooo it was the Maestro that had the squawk box I think on MG and Vanden Plas models... the Montego had the "Digi dash".
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; May 5th, 2020 at 14:00.
Tannaton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2020, 13:58   #13
Father Ted
Master Member

I once achieved 54MPG average (as reported by trip computer) over a journey of about 100 miles with cruise set to about 57-58 ish.

Mine is an early 2003 D5 (185BHP?) with auto box.
Old May 5th, 2020, 14:01   #14
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Ted View Post
I once achieved 54MPG average (as reported by trip computer) over a journey of about 100 miles with cruise set to about 57-58 ish.

Mine is an early 2003 D5 (185BHP?) with auto box.
Yours is the 163BHP E3.
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 6th, 2020, 16:29   #15
Dastardly Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
Obviously i am referring to a level road, how long is the road/journey that the official AMPG based on?
To be fair, imdon't know. I don't think its terribly far, 5 or 6km or the like.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2020, 16:43   #16
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
To be fair, imdon't know. I don't think its terribly far, 5 or 6km or the like.
With that in mind, my reply still stands then been along a few 40mph flat roads around here and many 30's using my method, cruise control when using the manual side of the auto box, cruise allows you without dropping out of crusie, change into the highest as soon as allowed by the box 30mph = 4th, 40mph = 5th, and i believe its 50 for 6th, may be a bit lower, forgot now, and those figures are easily reached, do it all the time, i live in Norfolk, flattest part of the country Using my method returns the best mpg for my volvo, no way on earth could i do it without using cruise control, its near on impossible, you just cant keep the speed up with the lowest of revs, somehow the auto box does it spot on. You could let the autobox do it for you also BUT, it will not change into 4th as low as 30mph, nor 5th at 40 and same with 6th, its always higher and therefore the mpg drops as its in the gear below longer. If you have the 6sp auto, give it a bash, you will see, i cant comment regarding other boxes mind but this is how mine plays ball

To sum up, Cruise Control in semi auto returns the best mpg, i live in the flatlands (Norfolk) so i am able to achieve what i state.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bashy For This Useful Post:
Old May 6th, 2020, 18:02   #17
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashy View Post
With that in mind, my reply still stands then been along a few 40mph flat roads around here and many 30's using my method, cruise control when using the manual side of the auto box, cruise allows you without dropping out of crusie, change into the highest as soon as allowed by the box 30mph = 4th, 40mph = 5th, and i believe its 50 for 6th, may be a bit lower, forgot now, and those figures are easily reached, do it all the time, i live in Norfolk, flattest part of the country Using my method returns the best mpg for my volvo, no way on earth could i do it without using cruise control, its near on impossible, you just cant keep the speed up with the lowest of revs, somehow the auto box does it spot on. You could let the autobox do it for you also BUT, it will not change into 4th as low as 30mph, nor 5th at 40 and same with 6th, its always higher and therefore the mpg drops as its in the gear below longer. If you have the 6sp auto, give it a bash, you will see, i cant comment regarding other boxes mind but this is how mine plays ball

To sum up, Cruise Control in semi auto returns the best mpg, i live in the flatlands (Norfolk) so i am able to achieve what i state.
You might find that at 40 mph you get better economy in 4th with the torque converter locked than in 5th in slushbox mode...
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Old May 6th, 2020, 19:11   #18
Dastardly Diesel

Just outmof interest, what do you get?

According to the display, in mixed motoring I get 28-29 MPG, never outside that. On a long journey (100+ miles) at legal motorway speeds, driving sensibly but not like a nun (and avoiding 4 hour traffic jams) 42-43. Both of those in full auto - I wouldn't buy a dog only to have to bark myself, so never use geartronic mode.

It never deviates from that range when I'm behind the wheel.
Dastardly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2020, 03:14   #19
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaton View Post
You might find that at 40 mph you get better economy in 4th with the torque converter locked than in 5th in slushbox mode...
Nope, always the highest gear returns the best mpg unless there is an incline

Quote:
Just outmof interest, what do you get?

According to the display, in mixed motoring I get 28-29 MPG, never outside that. On a long journey (100+ miles) at legal motorway speeds, driving sensibly but not like a nun (and avoiding 4 hour traffic jams) 42-43. Both of those in full auto - I wouldn't buy a dog only to have to bark myself, so never use geartronic mode.

It never deviates from that range when I'm behind the wheel.
The longest journey i have been on since ownership is only about 25 miles, not hit motorways yet, I would need to reset and try and have a go, bare in mind that although i utilise this method, its very rare doing the same on open roads, i also knock it in into drive whenever the road allows, such as around 50+ but if the traffic is busy and i can see by the revs that the car should be in a higher gear, i will change it manually but believe me when i say, the only time i bark when in the car is at some other road using plank lol the boys on the other hand do enough for everyone. As it stands, mine is currently saying 28, one of my many flaws is, thinking everyone else on the road is wanting to race me, whereby thats probably only true of less than 1%