Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sat Nav Retro Fit

Views : 11133

Replies : 39

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 28th, 2011, 13:32   #21
Matteus XC60

Whilst Satnav is an absolutely terrific tool, I have never gone for an integrated version because:

- they don't tend to work as well as the stand-alone systems (though I understand these have improved)
- Difficult to add new maps such as Europe or the US
- Can't take advantage of corrections made by other users
- Cannot set/experiment with the route in the comfort of your own home
- Cannot use it in other cars, such as hire cars in Europe or the US
- Whilst Mr Morrison may have a point on cost, it is still much more expensive to buy integrated version than stand-alone.
- As technology improves, you can't trade up.

Now, on the downside, I have a suction cap on my windscreen, and if I need the Satnav at short notice, I have to get it out and plug it into the 12v power socket etc etc. So, If I did a lot of driving to new places on a regular basis, it would certainly be a pain. As I tend to only need it about once a month, my Tomtom* will do me fine.

(* other Satnavs (and opinions) are available...)

Last edited by Matteus XC60; Jan 28th, 2011 at 14:21.
Matteus XC60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matteus XC60 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 13:58   #22
stu0710
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
Whilst Satnav is an absolutely terrific tool, I have never gone for an integrated version because:

- they don't tend to work as well as the stand-alone systems (though I understand these have improved)
- Whilst Mr Morrison may have a point on cost, it is still much more expensive to buy integrated version than stand-alone.
- As technology improves, you can trade up.

Now, on the downside, I have a suction cap on my windscreen, and if I need the Satnav at short notice, I have to get it out and plug it into the 12v power socket etc etc. So, If I did a lot of driving to new places on a regular basis, it would certainly be a pain. As I tend to only need it about once a month, my Tomtom* will do me fine.

(* other Satnavs (and opinions) are available...)
I've just fitted one of the Tomtom discs into the hole in my car where the integrated satnav should go - the Tomtom now fits in very neatly into this space without leaving telltale suction marks on the windscreen and is perfectly in my eyeline whilst driving.

Total cost for the whole setup £135.00!
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 14:20   #23
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by stu0710 View Post
I've just fitted one of the Tomtom discs into the hole in my car where the integrated satnav should go - the Tomtom now fits in very neatly into this space without leaving telltale suction marks on the windscreen and is perfectly in my eyeline whilst driving.

Total cost for the whole setup £135.00!
Makes sense. If you are referring to the 'pod' Stu, I'm afraid I don't have one, so wouldn't work for me Then again, I'm quite happy as is
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 15:14   #24
Mrjon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post

- As technology improves, you can't trade up.
Some very valid points there.I have a garmin unit on the motorbike and its much better than the integrated unit in my S60.I wish Id gone for the volvo garmin option they did rather than the built in one that rises out of the dash, its so slow if you miss a turn in a town you have to actually stop the car to allow it to re-calculate otherwise you'll drive past the next turn it was going to send you down before it has presented you with the directions, and so it starts re calculating yet again.I'm hoping the new sensus system is a lot better as that's what I've ordered.I spend a bit of time in the US and found it was cheaper or just about to buy a tom tom out there than buy the US maps for my wife's unit
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrjon For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 16:47   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrjon View Post
Some very valid points there.I have a garmin unit on the motorbike and its much better than the integrated unit in my S60.I wish Id gone for the volvo garmin option they did rather than the built in one that rises out of the dash, its so slow if you miss a turn in a town you have to actually stop the car to allow it to re-calculate otherwise you'll drive past the next turn it was going to send you down before it has presented you with the directions, and so it starts re calculating yet again.I'm hoping the new sensus system is a lot better as that's what I've ordered.I spend a bit of time in the US and found it was cheaper or just about to buy a tom tom out there than buy the US maps for my wife's unit
Just to be clear this is the S60 'rising out of the dash' that you are talking about I hope?

The XC60 does not rise out of the dash and recalculates very quickly.
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 18:54   #26
Mrjon
Master Member

Yes that's right, on the S60" classic" the sat nav rises up out of the top of the dash when you select it on. very flash but the actual gps is very very slow and dated,if I'd had known how bad I wouldn't have bought it,year2000 technology.My previous car, Jag X-type was the same era but had a fast 7inch touch screen nav and was much better.
I was a little cautious about getting another built in volvo nav as I believe its still the same company that make them, denso? but I had a look at one in the new S60 and on my XC60 test drive, and , as you say the XC60 unit is very fast, and pleasing to the eye so looking forward to using it.I do prefer the nice clean integrated fit of the factory GPS,and maybe the software car be updated on this new model as time goes by as it has a hard drive?
Mrjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 23:15   #27
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Cool

Well I can't tell you what the Garmin 765 is like as it didn't get fitted today.

Volvo delivered the new Garmin kit which fixes to the door pillar, I want it fitted in the cubby hole in the dash.

Dealer is sourcing the correct parts from Sweden which should be here early next week....
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2011, 23:19   #28
darbs
XC60 Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philpottig View Post
They might help sell your car compared to another, but options forked out up front are not going to repay you later on, hence the market in bolt ons.

Still it would be a boring world if we all wanted the same thing, its down topersonal choice and if I wasn't paying I would have preferred a factory fit job!
i think we agree, side by side with all things being equal except factory fit vs aftermarket sat nav, a buyer is most likely to want the factory fit. dare i say it, thinking along those lines, they may even be willing to pay 1 or 2 more quid for it! i realise options depreciate much, much more than the cars themselves though (i've just experienced that).

..and yes, 100% agreed, the world would be boring if we were all the same, and always made the same choices. it's good to mix things up, and it's good to see how artistic some can be with their aftermarket implementations!
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darbs For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 16:29   #29
Philpottig
Better than an X3 or Q5

Default Yipppe Garmin Installed!

Well, Harratts installed the Garmin today, pukka job, only took an hour, pic attached,
£395 less £250 of Volvo customer care vouchers = £145 - nice!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo[1].JPG (38.9 KB, 74 views)
Philpottig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2011, 20:49   #30
M Reeves

Looks very professional and good value for money fitted

I should get mine in 4 weeks so will be the new dash with 5 "screen

I want to fit a portable sat nav so will need to wait to see how much space I
have to fix next to the screen
M Reeves is offline   Reply With Quote