Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

The demise of Saab

Views : 1891

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2014, 21:44   #11
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Okay, I'll come clean......I have driven Saabs for over 13 years.
A sad end to a great Swedish car maker.

2001 I started with a 9-3 Aero I had imported in the days when it was over 30% cheaper than buying in the UK. Loved it, but as kids got bigger I needed something larger, so chopped it in after over 112K miles for a 9-5 aero saloon, ex-demo.
Amazingly comfortable, and more than fast enough for me (even without chipping!).
Over 100K miles on and I took another ex-demo, a 260bhp Dame Edna estate. Hated the looks to begin (but nicely spec'd!), and over the past 70K miles I've grown to love it.....
But the time is right for a change.....and despite hankering after a "new" 9-5, they never made the estate.......
So here I am. Ordered an XC60 D4 FWD, should suit us just fine. I know the seats are up there with Saab for comfort, and I look forward with anticipation!

Just need to sell the 9-5. But plenty of time for that, with the June'ish delivery date!

Don't hate me for my past......

MikeIOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 22:04   #12
watchboy

We too had a 95 estate, 2.0 turbo which was a T plate. Was a great car and I covered 70,000 miles in it and it already had 18,000 on it when we bought it.

Fond memories and only ever needed servicing...... I tell a lie, my darling wife ripped the wing mirror off on a pillar in a multi storey car park ( she has done that on 2 cars now )

We went up to the highlands in it from South Wales and after passing through Calendar, north of Glasgow there was a long straight and I was probably doing about 65mph-ish when a stag jumped over the barrier at the side of the road and just stood ahead of me not moving.

Thankfully the Saab had pretty good brakes and we stopped but the severity of the emergency stop woke the wife and our eldest daughter up who both wondered what the hell was going on only to see a huge stag stood staring at us!

Once we had stopped the stag turned and bound off over the road. It may have been a majestic sight but it also made me question whether it had suicidal tendencies ;-)

I digress, if ever there was an alternative to Volvo it was most probably Saab, I for one was sad to see them go as an automotive manufacturer :-(

Paul
watchboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to watchboy For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 22:26   #13
SonyVaio
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeIOW View Post
Okay, I'll come clean......I have driven Saabs for over 13 years.
A sad end to a great Swedish car maker.

Not quite the end, SAAB are back and in full production mode as we speak.

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2014, 23:28   #14
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Mmmmm....with "old" 9-3's with emissions that will only sell in China under NEVS....yes, I know, but I suspect it may be at least 4 years before anything RHD may appear for sale to these shores!
Who knows, it could happen......
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 02:34   #15
irishcarfan
Master Member

I'm secretly looking for a nice Saab, but don't tell anyone.
irishcarfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 07:13   #16
675rrr

Saab tested for moose collison

http://homepages.sover.net/~cbrandon...don/moose.html
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 07:28   #17
Crockers
Premier Member

I had a Saab 9-5 2.3 LPT and I think (it was a 2001 so memories play tricks) the seats were even more comfortable than Volvo's.

Ate two ECUs and service costs astronomical. But I loved it.

But.....they aren't really bought for their looks.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 13:44   #18
Harvey1512
Premier Member

I don't think there is a rivalry between Volvo and Saab drivers. Very much of the same ilk I would have thought. You will find a number of threads on this forum where people speak fondly of owning Saabs. They were solid, well made, comfortable and a bit quirky. The chances are if you like Volvo you will like Saab as well.
Old Mar 6th, 2014, 13:57   #19
MikeIOW
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
Very much of the same ilk I would have thought.
Surely that should be of the same "elk" :-)

I was only joking....I can tell that I am amongst warm Swedish-loving friends here :-)

cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeIOW For This Useful Post: