Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cruise Control Steps

Views : 4782

Replies : 61

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2014, 19:07   #21
acb5

Press the resume button on the steering wheel and assuming the car infront has started off then the car will follow. Used queue assist on the motorway today and never touched the brake pedal or accelerator for about 30mins. Just pressed the resume button and away she goes.
acb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acb5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 20:13   #22
Considered1
Premier Member

You realise that if the car in front pulls away slowly and leaves a big gap in the queue .. and assuming you had the cruise speed set a fair bit higher than the speed of the queue... then if you pull out as if to overtake then it should accelerate allowing you to dive into the space in front with full auto brake...
... fantasy or suicide you'll never get bored in a queue again!!
Considered1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 10:14   #23
inego

Sorry for a cruise question that isn't increment related!

Glad I re-read this thread about the increments, I'll use them in the future. But my question is about cruise behaviour.

I had acc on a loan car, but don't have it on my own d5 auto (picked up Friday. It has a splash of mud down the side from a drive in the rain today, but no pics yet). Using the cruise, heading down what passes for mountains here, it allowed my speed to increase quite a way over the set speed rather than maintaining the set speed. Is this normal?
inego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 11:14   #24
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inego View Post

Glad I re-read this thread about the increments, I'll use them in the future. But my question is about cruise behaviour.

I had acc on a loan car, but don't have it on my own d5 auto (picked up Friday. It has a splash of mud down the side from a drive in the rain today, but no pics yet). Using the cruise, heading down what passes for mountains here, it allowed my speed to increase quite a way over the set speed rather than maintaining the set speed. Is this normal?
Don't think it brakes for you which is disappointing
Previous Audi did, BMW didn't either..
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 13:58   #25
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by inego View Post

yes, you can go above the cruise control set speed - either by going down or a hill, or accelerating and it will fall back to the set speed when you start to get engine braking (either by taking your foot off the go faster pedal, or the hill become less steep) - if you apply the footbrake it will disengage the cruise control, but curiously not if you use engine braking by going to manual selection and flicking down gears.
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 15:40   #26
Crockers
Premier Member

ACC uses engine braking and the brakes too to maintain the speed. Whereas standard cruise just uses engine braking so it is possible for it to over run the set speed when going downhill..... bit basic in this modern world - my Mercedes C class had engine and brake braking back in 2005
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 16:13   #27
Considered1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crockers View Post
ACC uses engine braking and the brakes too to maintain the speed. Whereas standard cruise just uses engine braking so it is possible for it to over run the set speed when going downhill..... bit basic in this modern world - my Mercedes C class had engine and brake braking back in 2005
Is that right, so another major benefit of ACC
Old Mar 2nd, 2014, 21:52   #28
inego

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
yes, you can go above the cruise control set speed - either by going down or a hill, or accelerating and it will fall back to the set speed when you start to get engine braking (either by taking your foot off the go faster pedal, or the hill become less steep) - if you apply the footbrake it will disengage the cruise control, but curiously not if you use engine braking by going to manual selection and flicking down gears.
Will have to remember this - happy to manually engine brake, as is my wife, given that this is our first auto car in 20+ years. Unfortunately I suspect the fine may be in the mail as I sailed through a gatso picking up speed whilst helping said wife with navigating the multimedia.
inego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 21:11   #29
8ig steve

I absolutely love adaptive cruise controls I have used them in a couple of Audis.
When I specified my Volvo I could only find the ACC in the Driver support pack which at £1900 was too much and included things I have no interest in.

Just before it becomes too late to make any changes, does anyone know if ACC is available as an option on it's own
8ig steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3rd, 2014, 21:18   #30
Considered1
Premier Member

Sadly no Steve