Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Re-registering aggro - V55/5 help needed pls

Views : 3786

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 16th, 2019, 19:43   #11
SteadyRolling

OK, final question (I hope). Seems obvious to me that there should be no 'first registration fee' as it was previously a U.K. car, but I don't want problems caused by loopholes or whatever...
The leaflet says the £55 fee applies to all vehicles, except historic vehicles previously registered with the old local authorities (late conversions). Not sure what the bit in brackets refers to? Or even 'old authorities' come to think of it...

Other exemption option is 'imported vehicles previously registered in U.K. under the personal export scheme and new means of transport scheme, which doesn't seem remotely relevant.
Rest of the options don't apply, being:
Those first registered as Disabled, visiting forces vehicles, crown exempt vehicles, vehicles registered under the direct export scheme or Off Road Scheme.
SteadyRolling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 22:23   #12
old fart
Master Member

If you have the original british reg you may be able to get it reinstated, otherwise just pay the £55. At least you'll be able to use it then.
old fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to old fart For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 11:05   #13
SteadyRolling

Yeah, just been on the phone to them again - it's basically a longwinded way of saying if it's previously been registered in U.K. Dunno why they have to make everything so complicated...
The Following User Says Thank You to SteadyRolling For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 18:19   #14
Parisien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyRolling View Post
Yeah, just been on the phone to them again - it's basically a longwinded way of saying if it's previously been registered in U.K. Dunno why they have to make everything so complicated...
Steadyrolling, have you completed the process yet, just about to start mine on Monday, collecting a V70 in Dublin, drive it up North on trade plates, inform HMRC, follow the process you outlined and information you received back from DVLA, luckily the car is 3 weeks over the 10 year old deadline for a lot of the questions listed on the form all 70 odd!!!!!!

P
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 21:46   #15
SteadyRolling

Hi, yes, I got my V5, back onto the original UK plates, about two or three weeks later. Ridiculously easy when you know how... As mentioned earlier, just ignore anything that relates to Certificate of Conformity and it's simple to fill in.

Hope you have better luck than I did driving it home from Dublin though - I had a serious breakdown outside Warrington at 3 a.m. when only halfway home. Knowing what I know now, I would ship it instead - because I don't think ANY breakdown insurance will cover you for a car that isn't (yet) registered in the UK. My outfit wouldn't, and neither would the AA when I rang them (even though they will apparently usually retrospectively cover you for getting home if you take out a policy after the breakdown). Ended up costing me an arm and a leg to get it home on the back of a truck the same day...

Edit: just noticed you obviously mean Northern Ireland, not Northern England, as I'd read your reply in my email, not on the forum... In which case, I doubt it will be a problem...

Last edited by SteadyRolling; Aug 30th, 2019 at 21:50. Reason: Clearing up confusion
The Following User Says Thank You to SteadyRolling For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 22:01   #16
Parisien

This is an original Irish car, so maybe a tad more complicated, plus its a 2.0 F flexifuel model, not sure if sold in UK 10 years ago. By pure chance as stated, its just over 10 years old so that aspect should be in my favour. Plus am 100 miles from Dublin, with family either end and my sons mate has a garage and a transporter!

I'm hoping to use his trade plates to drive home as its now untaxed in the RoI and therefore not legal to drive either there or here. Plus my own insurer will only issue a temporary cover note for 28 days until I get it registered in the UK. Secondly it needs an MOT here, even though its been NCTed ( their MOT equivalent ) just 60 kms ago and isnt transferable ( Ive no doubt nearly all tests are German based using German equipment to EU agreed levels so why not transferable??!!).

I find the system currently used very user unfriendly and overly complicated, supposedly a single market with every country being over protective of its frontiers and systems, plenty of "borders" exist already, never to be changed.

As ever the system and those who run it are only in it for themselves and prehistoric attitudes which make the rest our lives miserable!

Will update thread for the benefit of other members. ( But wish me luck anyways!)

P
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 22:47   #17
SteadyRolling

Yeah, I think it would need to be a MASSIVE bargain to make me buy a car from a different country again. I can imagine the faffing about will only get worse Post-Brexit too, so I think I'll be grateful for what I have (once it's back on the road, anyway).
But sure a V70 will take 100 miles in its stride, you'll be fine
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 22:58   #18
Parisien

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyRolling View Post
Yeah, I think it would need to be a MASSIVE bargain to make me buy a car from a different country again. I can imagine the faffing about will only get worse Post-Brexit too, so I think I'll be grateful for what I have (once it's back on the road, anyway).
But sure a V70 will take 100 miles in its stride, you'll be fine

It was quite a bargain albeit at the bottom end of the scale, the killer for older cars in the RoI is annual car tax, €1200 or €1800 for modest to large engined older cars, all of a sudden a 10 year old €4000 car becomes quite unsellable!

I have the time and am prepared to wait, plus do the ground work then leg work, but most people wouldn't.

I was more than surprised just how pleasant this 100k 10 year old car performed, throw in a great reduction on a similar aged car here and I couldn't resist.

P
Old Aug 30th, 2019, 23:09   #19
Parisien

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sal...o-awd/22846144

The road tax costs more than the car!

P
Old Aug 31st, 2019, 14:00   #20
arcturus
arcturus

If you think that you have had problems try as did bringing my car to Portugal. Took over a year. Had to jump through hoops and then some to prove it was part of my personal possessions. Cost me over €1000. They originally wanted €10,000 import duty for a 960 that i paid £700 for. And i had to pay the annual road tax as for a new car. Couldn't sell it for five years or would be required to pay all the €10000 import duty Goodness knows what will happen when you are no longer in the EU.I had to eventually scrap it after five years which ended 1st Jan. Scrapped it 2nd Jan, but had to pay all the road tax (€700) for the full oncoming year before i could do so. You've had it easy