Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800E Electric fan

Views : 1741

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 13th, 2019, 23:09   #11
sleek lemur

Thanks Simon, and very interesting re the siting of the sensor. It makes sense (pun intended) that, so long as it's getting a reading from something that gets hot as engine coolant temperature rises, then the electric fan can be set to respond appropriately. Ha! I hadn't considered that!
sleek lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 13:17   #12
sleek lemur

Revotec prefer sucking fan to blowing, however fitting in front of the rad seems easier, noting the proximity of the OE fan housing to the rad. Revotec provide a free template and the clearance for the larger fans looks pretty tight.

They supply a sensor to be spliced in the bottom hose.

Ron, thank you for the exceptionally useful link.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 18:49   #13
sleek lemur

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawsonJD View Post
Guys not so I'm afraid.
In the early 80's the vehicle had a Kenlowe fan fitted with the thermostat mounted radiator top and the fan performed perfectly, just like the one in my Dad's Chrysler Avenger in fact.
Lemur, sorry for this confusion, hopefully this'll help, these are my experiments with the Revotec templates.
Pic 001 is the 10" fan template vertically mounted, 002 is the 11" horizontal.
David.
LJD, couple of ?? If I may. 1. Any particular reason you've gone for a blowing fan, rather than a sucker? Revotec seem to prefer the latter. 2. Using the template, I managed to get a 12incher behind the rad, but the clearance to the fan mount looks very tight. Am I deluding myself that it will fit?

Thanks !
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 21:16   #14
sleek lemur

LJD, REVOTEC seem to favour a sucking fan. Also the 12inch template seems to fit behind the rad., however the clearance to the water pump boss looks very right.

Could I solicit your comments? 😁
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 23:37   #15
LawsonJD

Hi.
When I bought the car it had the Kenlowe fan in the blowing configuration and that worked fine so I just continued with that set up.
I do recall it got hot once but that turned out to be the D Jet fuel pressure running too lean.
David.

I'm wondering about radios too, found this place.
I'll put it in your other thread.

https://www.chromelondon.com
LawsonJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 16:23   #16
sleek lemur

Many thanks JDL. That's definitely the proof of the pudding. I might as well but 11 inch and avoid the hassle of having to return one that doesn't fit. They do make kits for the more "common" (&#128521 sports classics and seem genuinely interested in producing a P1800 kit in the future.

Just before I leave you all in peace, has anyone had any experience with Brookhouse's 5 blade viscous fan conversion?
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 17:09   #17
c1800
Master Member

“Just before I leave you all in peace, has anyone had any experience with Brookhouse's 5 blade viscous fan conversion?“

Apparently the ‘70-‘71 came with the 5 bladed fan and the ‘72-‘73 came with the viscous fan. ‘69 and earlier doesn’t have room for the viscous fan setup.

Do you have the 5 blade plastic fan?

Do you have overheating problems that you’re trying to mitigate, or just in accessorizing mode?
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:59   #18
sleek lemur

Hmm... My car's problem is that the temp rises at tickover. Cured by just increasing revs a couple of hundred. I was suspecting an ineffective new water pump installed by the shop that did the restoration.

HOWEVER, I have the 4 bladed fan, whereas you are telling me that it should be the five blader. This could be
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 16:29   #19
c1800
Master Member

Yes, now I recall our previous discussion. Check the parts book for exact fan for your car. Parts book will likely specify which fan by Serial number.

http://volvo1800pictures.com/documen...ed%20views.pdf

Water pump with cast impeller may solve your problem, as we previously discussed.

Last edited by c1800; Jul 29th, 2019 at 16:31.
c1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 11:12   #20
simonvolvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
LJD, REVOTEC seem to favour a sucking fan. Also the 12inch template seems to fit behind the rad., however the clearance to the water pump boss looks very right.

Could I solicit your comments? 😁
To me the choice between “sucking” and “blowing” is a no-brainer.

I don’t know what Revotec’s reasons are for their preference.

I suppose there will be some “spillage” of air with a “blower”. But then it can equally well be argued that, with a “sucker”, the fan will draw in some air that has come from the engine compartment without having passed through the radiator.

A major plus of a blower: ease of access. It just doesn’t make sense to me to waste all that space you have in front of the radiator.

If the “sucker” is indeed better at moving air through the radiator I cannot think that the difference it makes can be anything more than marginal.
simonvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote