Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Vida help

Views : 2517

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 12th, 2020, 16:23   #11
paddy74

This is a guessing game, isn't it? Unfortunately this will be of no value to you or bring you anywhere nearer to solving your problem. If you don't know, what it is, you shouldn't change parts as a guess. It will be more difficult in the end to find the real problem, after changing parts and trying this and that.

First off: the AQS sensor is not the culprit, if it is an original Volvo sensor. You can leave it plugged in, as it does not do any harm. What does harm, is if someone has changed that sensor to an aftermarket part, eg. from VAG. These do fit and work for a while, but then they start making funny things. But this is only, if you fit a "non-Volvo" AQS sensor, and only then. If the sensor is Volvo, you are good to go, doesn't matter, if the sensor is working or not.

What you need to do is searching and checking! Get a multimeter and check what exactly happens. This may lead you to a new CCM, but it may lead you to other things, one just doesn't know yet.

I'd check the resistor and the blower motor, if they work correctly move on to other parts involved. Check the fuses, check if all cables are ok, you know, the usual things, if you need to find an electronic gremlin.

I know, not an easy answer, but changing parts doesn't help you in the end.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 16:38   #12
hodge911

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Now you have the Vida working, what are the codes stored now.
I dont think like all the other modules on this car they seem to be linked to the car so fitting another one wont always work, somebody else may be able to confirm.
John
Haven't had it back on the vida yet last timei cleared the codes so I'll get it bacl on in morning and see what codes have come up
hodge911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 18:09   #13
Moose Test
Master Member

With respect, I think you are making progress.

You have now eliminated the AQS sensor as any possible source of the issue. Ditto the "resistor" module (it's not actually a resistor network, so there's nothing simple to constructively measure there) and the blower itself, since you've already replaced those.

It's a fairly simple system, leaving the only possible causes a) wiring (bad connections, loose or corroded connections, wiring breaks) or b) the CCM itself.

I'd check the physical state of the connections to the blower fan, fan module and CCM, cleaning with a commercial contact cleaner if you see any cause to do so. I'd also re-seat fuse number one in the passenger compartment fuse box (the one on the side of the dashboard, located on the passenger's side).

Beyond that, I'd have to suspect the CCM itself. I don't believe that these are vehicle specific, although as with most such control module replacements, I'd definitely try to source one from a breaker with the same part number as your original.

Bear in mind that whilst the self diagnostic capabilities of the car are generally good at a high level, the CCM (and hence VIDA) isn't capable of exhaustively identifying every internal fault that it may have developed.
Old Oct 12th, 2020, 19:04   #14
Moose Test
Master Member

You may find this YouTube posting interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWGuxbGQE0M

I'm not suggesting for a moment that it IS the same fault as you are experiencing, nor that your symptoms exactly match it. However it does demonstrate that CCM internal failure can be a cause of blower motor intermittent operation and has been observed to be so in the real world.

It also shows that a used replacement from a donor vehicle is a viable fix but with important caveats.
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 09:08   #15
hodge911

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy74 View Post
This is a guessing game, isn't it? Unfortunately this will be of no value to you or bring you anywhere nearer to solving your problem. If you don't know, what it is, you shouldn't change parts as a guess. It will be more difficult in the end to find the real problem, after changing parts and trying this and that.

First off: the AQS sensor is not the culprit, if it is an original Volvo sensor. You can leave it plugged in, as it does not do any harm. What does harm, is if someone has changed that sensor to an aftermarket part, eg. from VAG. These do fit and work for a while, but then they start making funny things. But this is only, if you fit a "non-Volvo" AQS sensor, and only then. If the sensor is Volvo, you are good to go, doesn't matter, if the sensor is working or not.

What you need to do is searching and checking! Get a multimeter and check what exactly happens. This may lead you to a new CCM, but it may lead you to other things, one just doesn't know yet.

I'd check the resistor and the blower motor, if they work correctly move on to other parts involved. Check the fuses, check if all cables are ok, you know, the usual things, if you need to find an electronic gremlin.

I know, not an easy answer, but changing parts doesn't help you in the end.
It's got both a New (not s/h) resistor and blower motor.....
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 09:17   #16
hodge911

check the resistor and the blower motor, if they work correctly move on to other parts involved. Check the fuses, check if all cables are ok, you know, the usual things, if you need to find an electronic gremlin.
It has new blower and resistor . It also has a new muti plug for the resistor as original had a burnt terminal
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 09:37   #17
hodge911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Test View Post
You may find this YouTube posting interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWGuxbGQE0M

I'm not suggesting for a moment that it IS the same fault as you are experiencing, nor that your symptoms exactly match it. However it does demonstrate that CCM internal failure can be a cause of blower motor intermittent operation and has been observed to be so in the real world.

It also shows that a used replacement from a donor vehicle is a viable fix but with important caveats.
Thanks for the video it does help ... the green lights on my blower switch work as should but I'm guessing that doesn't necessarily mean the fault isn't in the ccm
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 11:56   #18
Moose Test
Master Member

The burnt terminal you saw is undoubtedly indicative of something.

Possibly the connection has been loose in the past, causing an arc to form between terminals carrying motor level current. The fact that you've replaced both the fan control module ("resistor") and its connector should have resolved any such issue.

It's also a possible indication that something 'exciting' has happened to the previous control module and it's not implausible that this could have caused damage upstream i.e. to your CCM, to which it is directly connected.

Last edited by Moose Test; Oct 13th, 2020 at 11:58.
Moose Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 13:13   #19
paddy74

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodge911 View Post
It's got both a New (not s/h) resistor and blower motor.....
I read that, but the fact, that it doesn't work after you changed parts should be a sign, shouldn't it?

What you are doing right now, is best practice in a lot of official dealer repairs - throwing parts at the car, hoping something sticks...

If you don't get the cause for your errors, you will likely invest a lot of money in parts, that doesn't need to be changed. At least two things were already changed and the error is still there. So what makes you think, a new CCM will solve this? I'm not saying it won't, but chances are, it is something else.

But this is pointless, as you already made up your mind to buy a "new" CCM as I've seen in the "wanted" section. Try it, we'll see, if it helps. My guess is, we'll talk about this, even after you replaced your CCM...

Good luck
Old Oct 13th, 2020, 14:13   #20
Moose Test
Master Member

Quote:
At least two things were already changed and the error is still there. So what makes you think, a new CCM will solve this?
The wiring diagram from VIDA perhaps? (see attached). There are ONLY THREE components forming that entire sub-system. He's replaced two of them, and the main connector between them. Why wouldn't the logical conclusion be that the remaining original component is the location of the fault?

The OP has already used VIDA, the CCM code returned was for the AQS sensor. It has nothing to do with his problem. I've said it once already, VIDA and the car's diagnostic systems are good but they aren't all seeing. He's done all he can in that respect.

Quote:
I'm not saying it won't, but chances are, it is something else.
Yeah, he should probably have the gearbox flushed.
Attached Images
File Type: png ccm_wiring.png (15.6 KB, 15 views)