Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squeeking back

Views : 1562

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2020, 07:26   #1
urban60

Default Squeeking back

Over half a year now there's a sqeeking noise coming from the right back of the car and it's driving me crazy. Sometimes, especially when the car is cold the squeek is gone, but it comes back if I hit pothole hard or just by itself when it gets warmer. I've also uploaded two recordings which you can listen to try to identify the problem down below (it's more noticeable on the 1. sound named Volvo Squeek 1).

Recently I've changed:
- both rear shock absorbers with new mounts
- rear stabilizer bar (with both bushings and links)

Although that needed to be replaced, it didn't help to get rid of the noise...

Can this squeeking be a part of those jiggling metal fuel lines I've been asking on the other thread (https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312226) or are this just regular arm bushings gone bad which are so known of on P3 platforms?

Sound:
https://soundcloud.com/urbanz-2/sets.../s-P5mD1EMCvX2

Volvo s80 2.4D 2009 M66 333.000km

Last edited by urban60; Dec 15th, 2020 at 08:19.
urban60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2020, 16:24   #2
Backhill1
Master Member

I had a squeak like you describe on my old XC70 and it was the rear trailing arm bushes.
This happened at around 150K miles and i cant remember if it was worse when dry or when raining? Very little play just a squeak.
This is a common problem on the Ford Mondeo and i believe this was a carry over part in the platform share.
They can be replaced in situ with some pullers which is quicker than removing everything to press out. The Ford parts fit well and are cheaper than Volvo (The same bits fomoco).
Pattern parts can be tight to press in and sometimes need dressed on the outside to take the course edge off.
I hope this helps.
Backhill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2020, 21:22   #3
Kev0607
Premier Member

As mentioned above, trailing arm bushings are likely to be the culprit here.

My exhaust made a similar noise when one of the hangars broke (going over bumps, the exhaust moved & seemed to squeek/vibrate). That might be worth checking too.
Old Dec 20th, 2020, 19:03   #4
WoodyV70

I had a similar squeak from the back of my V70, I assumed trailing arm bushes but it was actually from the boot lock mechanism. A good spray of lubricant sorted it.
WoodyV70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2020, 15:21   #5
Rich1e2001

I had this issue on my XC70 at 60k miles. Was the trailing arm bushings and I think I paid £200~ per side to have them replaced. The squeak varied depending on car occupancy; with passengers it was much louder. No noticeable play in the arms so passed an mot prior to being replaced.
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 20:14   #6
john493
Spannering since birth

Trailing arm bushes, an awkward job best done on a ramp. The tool to push the bushes in is quite heavy and it can take a few tries to get the bushes in square.
I did this on my driveway, I'd not be keen to repeat it !
There are poly-bushes available now, they might be easier to fit, I'll be trying them if there is a next time.

Note if not using genuine Volvo bushes, the left hand bush has an extended mounting plate which acts as an exhaust mounting, you may need to improvise.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 20:28   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john493 View Post
Trailing arm bushes, an awkward job best done on a ramp. The tool to push the bushes in is quite heavy and it can take a few tries to get the bushes in square.
I did this on my driveway, I'd not be keen to repeat it !
There are poly-bushes available now, they might be easier to fit, I'll be trying them if there is a next time.

Note if not using genuine Volvo bushes, the left hand bush has an extended mounting plate which acts as an exhaust mounting, you may need to improvise.
What type of bush tool did you use. Branded or an ebay offering?
Where there any other issues other than not getting the bushing in square ?
I'd be working on a drive too, do you think getting the car an extra 6" higher would make things easier?

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 22nd, 2020, 21:15   #8
john493
Spannering since birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
What type of bush tool did you use. Branded or an ebay offering?
Where there any other issues other than not getting the bushing in square ?
I'd be working on a drive too, do you think getting the car an extra 6" higher would make things easier?

Cheers
Bob
I think it was the Sealey tool, not 100@ sure, it's in my garage loft at present & I did the job back in June.
Once you've removed the pipes/wiring on the trailing arm and the two bush bolts, you need to pull the arm down and hold it firm, this is critical to getting the tool in place and square. I removed an extra bolt near the hub to allow more movement. There is a mark on the bush that needs to align with a notch on the arm.
I bit of extra height should help.
(GS Addict)
john493 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john493 For This Useful Post:
Old May 26th, 2022, 07:14   #9
urban60

I know the time has passed since last post here, but finally I've managed to replace the rear trailing arm bushes. This was it, replaced them with aftermarket Meyle ones and there's no more squeaking. Thank you!
urban60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2022, 07:33   #10
passenger
Master Member

Thanks for the feedback
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bushings, noise, squeek