Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How can I get higher ground clearance on a V60?

Views : 815

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 11:43   #1
Christoh

Default How can I get higher ground clearance on a V60?

My 'ideal car' does not exist, but it would be a V60 Cross Country with T6 Plug in hybrid engine. Instead, I am considering buying a used Volvo V60 T6, 3 or 4 years old, under 50k miles. Budget up to £30k. I do not want an SUV.

I would like to soften the ride over potholes (loads where I live) and raise the ground clearance for occasional use off-road (e.g. during a fishing trip in Scotland last year, my current BMW 3 series estate bottomed out).

I'd love the forum's help with this... these are my first thoughts
  • I could fit a Spaccer lift kit https://www.spaccer.com/en_GB/makes-...vo/v60-ii-8491 and achieve extra 12mm ground clearance. Or fit 2 at each wheel and get 24mm extra
  • This would allow me to fit tyres with a higher side wall: going from 235/45/18 to 235/55/18 for example gets me another 10mm and would improve the ride.
Are these ideas naive? Are there other suggestions? Like I said, I do not want an SUV, so please don't say 'Buy an XC60'
Christoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 13:05   #2
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

buy an xc60 its pretty much one of those on stilts being quite small as SUVs go.

Last edited by sandys; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 13:10.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 13:39   #3
Christoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandys View Post
buy an xc60 its pretty much one of those on stilts being quite small as SUVs go.
Grrr
I do take the point. But my wife says 'over my dead body' to the idea of an SUV. Also, weirdly, it seems like the XC60 boot space is actually smaller. Not sure I can anger both the wife and the dog at the same time.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 14:58   #4
sandys
XC60 T8 Ultimate Dark

Yup XC60 is smaller in length by a couple of inches than a V60 that's probably where the few litres or so is lost but still if the dog is fine in a 3 series it'll be fine here.

XC60 barely fits in parking spaces already, no more length needed IMO, it's already too long.

It will get you the ground clearance and of course won't count as a modified harder to insure car though and you'll be able to get it with the Plugin powertrain.

Last edited by sandys; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 15:18.
sandys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 15:25   #5
Thekilt

This V60 cross country fits most of your requirements? its a petrol hybrid and a smidge over £30k: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-det...s=1500&fromsra
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 15:46   #6
James77

Why not look out for a V60 Cross Country does sound like an ideal compromise or an Audi A4 all Road. I think jacking up a standard V60 will look weird in proportion.

Last edited by James77; Feb 22nd, 2024 at 15:50.
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 16:17   #7
Christoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
Why not look out for a V60 Cross Country does sound like an ideal compromise or an Audi A4 all Road. I think jacking up a standard V60 will look weird in proportion.
Yes I'd love a Cross Country. They're beautiful. But I'm after more than 'mild hybrid' - something that gives me the opportunity to do the all-electric everyday short trips, with a combustion engine to handle the less frequent long journeys to remote places. If only Volvo made a CC with the T6 or T8 engine.

As for jacking up, that's basically what a CC is - and it looks all the better for it.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 16:58   #8
James77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christoh View Post
Yes I'd love a Cross Country. They're beautiful. But I'm after more than 'mild hybrid' - something that gives me the opportunity to do the all-electric everyday short trips, with a combustion engine to handle the less frequent long journeys to remote places. If only Volvo made a CC with the T6 or T8 engine.

As for jacking up, that's basically what a CC is - and it looks all the better for it.
I see. Yes annoying they're dropped in the UK. I'm not interested in the hybrid stuff but was considering one myself.

FYI - Mild Hybrid doesn't give you an all electric range it assists systems, you'd need a hybrid for that mild hybrid doesn't have a separate battery operated motor. You can get self charging hybrids (my parents have such a thing on some Hyundai thing they have. The T8 is a plug in hybrid with c30 miles of range (could be more now)
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 17:03   #9
Christoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by James77 View Post
I see. Yes annoying they're dropped in the UK. I'm not interested in the hybrid stuff but was considering one myself.

FYI - Mild Hybrid doesn't give you an all electric range it assists systems, you'd need a hybrid for that mild hybrid doesn't have a separate battery operated motor. You can get self charging hybrids (my parents have such a thing on some Hyundai thing they have. The T8 is a plug in hybrid with c30 miles of range (could be more now)
Yes. That's why I wish there was a proper plug in hybrid for the Cross Country rather than only the mild hybrid, which seems to just slightly improve mpg. Even 20 real-world miles of all-electric range would be fine, but the mild hybrid has zero.
Old Feb 22nd, 2024, 17:14   #10
James77

Wonder what mild actually does if you compare stats there's zero discernible advantage in either MPG, CO2s or performance.

We're (generalising here) obsessed with SUV in UK part is safety high ride position part is lording it over others I suspect mostly lording it over others we do love to feel superior even is we don't have 2 pence to rub together.