Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Question about prices of diesel in UK and other tips for trip to UK

Views : 675

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 19:47   #1
rafal

Default Question about prices of diesel in UK and other tips for trip to UK

Hello

This week I am going to Lynton (Devon) on my holiday (With my V50 - to prove that it is a Volvo related question :-) ) Could you please write how much costs diesel in UK especially close to route from Dover to London and to Devon? Do you recommend/ disrecommend some companies? I am living now in Belgium and sometimes prices can differ almost 10 eurocents on a liter between petrol stations separated by several hundreds meters.

Thanks in advance for your infos!

Rafal
rafal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 19:57   #2
arcturus
arcturus

Supermarkets usually give the best price. Tesco, Sainsburys etc.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 20:27   #3
octo0072000

Talking Costts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafal
Hello

This week I am going to Lynton (Devon) on my holiday (With my V50 - to prove that it is a Volvo related question :-) ) Could you please write how much costs diesel in UK especially close to route from Dover to London and to Devon? Do you recommend/ disrecommend some companies? I am living now in Belgium and sometimes prices can differ almost 10 eurocents on a liter between petrol stations separated by several hundreds meters.

Thanks in advance for your infos!

Rafal

latley about £1.00 per litre for diesel

octo0072000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 21:03   #4
740Estate
Undercover 740

Fill up in France or Wherever you get the ferry from, before you get to the Port. Fill it right to the brim! Then as the guys say, Fill up at Tesco, ASDA, Sainsburys Supermarket garages and avoid the expensive Shell, Esso, BP..

On the way to Lynton, work out your mileage and fuel consumption. Then aim to be pretty empty on fuel when you get back to Dover, again filling up on mainland Europe.

Used to do all this when travelling to and from Germany
-- Harry Carpenter, BBC TV, Boat Race 1977.
------------------------------------------------
Slidin' it round past the apex of reality
740Estate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 21:40   #5
Alec Dawe
Former Support Team

Also, avoid buying fuel at filling stations near to the ferry ports; they always have prices higher than the normal price to try to catch people coming off the ferry.
Try to avoid filling up on the motorways and on main roads, you will get cheaper prices in towns where there may be several garages closer together, all wanting you to buy from them, and so cutting their prices.
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:26   #6
barrie013

Do not fill up in Dover. It is one of most expesive places for fuel in the whole of the UK.
Check your route for 'retail estates', which is where you will find the supermarkets and 'superstores' .
Have a good holiday !
barrie013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 09:57   #7
perussell

Default Peter

You can find the lowest petrol prices in any area by going to www.petrolprices.com and entering a post code.
As for the advice re filling up at supermarkets, "you pays your money and you takes your choice" but I will NEVER fill up at a supermarket because I work for an oil company (I don't get free or subsidised fuel!) and I know what the supermarkets sell and whatever anybody says all fuels are not the same.
Consider this, the oil companies spend millions developing proprietary additive packages for their fuels, do you think they would then sell these to the supermarkets so they can undercut them in the market - I don't think so.
Typically the branded fuels are 1 to 2p a litre more than the supermarkets, so about 50p -£1 a tank more to protect an investment you spent nearly £20,000 on. Think about it!
Enjoy your trip.
(And if you want an unbiased opinion on fuel quality go to www.honestjohn.co.uk where you will find quite a bit around supermarket fuel quality)
perussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 14:23   #8
Oli
VOC Member

As requested, some other tips:

Drive on the left - always a good start in the UK
Speed limit on the Motorway is 70mph (<120km/h)
Speed limit when you see a white circle with black diagonal line is typically 60mph (70mph on a dual carriageway). This is the sign for the national speed limit. Also when you're in a 30mph limit, do not exceed this speed - you're in a residential area.
Always stop for pedestrians at the zebra crossings (the black and white painted crossings). Maybe you do in Brussels already, but a lot of European drivers seem to ignor this feature.
Make sure your recovery/break down cover includes UK (best firms in the UK are RAC, AA and Green Flag)
Don't drink and drive
Bring GBP - we're not using Euros here (yet?)
Bring a waterproof coat (one for each person)
Follow the M2/M25/M3/A303 for your route to Devon. The A303 is a much nicer road to drive along than the M4/M5 alternative (all will be obvious when looking at a roadmap of the UK). You'll also pass Stonehenge on the A303. Well worth a stop and look. As is Avebury nearby to this.
Keep away from tea rooms (a personal hate, though Devon is the world centrer for such places).

Happy holidays in sunny Devon.

Oli
Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 15:23   #9
George Holmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by perussell
You can find the lowest petrol prices in any area by going to www.petrolprices.com and entering a post code.
As for the advice re filling up at supermarkets, "you pays your money and you takes your choice" but I will NEVER fill up at a supermarket because I work for an oil company (I don't get free or subsidised fuel!) and I know what the supermarkets sell and whatever anybody says all fuels are not the same.
Consider this, the oil companies spend millions developing proprietary additive packages for their fuels, do you think they would then sell these to the supermarkets so they can undercut them in the market - I don't think so.
Typically the branded fuels are 1 to 2p a litre more than the supermarkets, so about 50p -£1 a tank more to protect an investment you spent nearly £20,000 on. Think about it!
Enjoy your trip.
(And if you want an unbiased opinion on fuel quality go to www.honestjohn.co.uk where you will find quite a bit around supermarket fuel quality)

In the same way, people spend 20000 to do up their kitchen and then travel miles to shopping centres to buy tasteless chemically sprayed peppers from New Zeeland or some such for 2 p per kg less. I shall never cease to be amased at the stupidity of people, no offence Rafal. And of course you must visit a tea room and have high tea. There is nothing to beat it.

PS. I used to live in Keerbergen so I am quite familiar with Belgium and the fuel prices. I'd fill up in France, there is a BP in Dunquerke on the A16 which is not too bad.