Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Non starting 940 D24TIC

Views : 474

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2019, 12:11   #1
Con70

Default Non starting 940 D24TIC

Hi All,
I purchased a high mileage 1996 940 D24TIC non runner recently for very small money, for my purposes its basically a parts and donor car really.
I'm currently in the process of trying to get the engine to run to make storage and movement easier. The car has been off the road for about 3 years, i have just replaced the starter motor, the engine is now cranking over, however there are a few issues.
Some advice would be welcome if possible.(i'm not a trained mechanic)

There is a substantial oil leak form the oil pump, when cranking the engine over on the battery, hard to say exactly where its coming from at this time other than the forward upper R/H side of the pump. If its leaking on the battery cranking only it would be a gusher if the engine was actually running. I appreciate it requires more evaluation, but what are the most likely causes and fixes? New pump?

I have changed the diesel filter, and prefilled the filter, opened the bleed screw on top the filter, it would appear the fuel pump is not delivering fuel. There is fresh fuel in the tank and i have removed the fuel tank filler cap when cranking the engine also. Is there any manual primer/hand pump on the D24TIC, if there is i cannot see it. Is my pump shot??? any thing else i can try?

Thanks
1996 Jaguar XK8 4.0 Coupe
2003 Jaguar XK8 4.2 coupe
Con70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 23:00   #2
jor
VOC 20573

There is no other pump on the d24, the bosch takes the fuel from the tank. If it's not working apparently it's usually due to seals, here's a link to a chap that repairs engines, way over my head, but the photos are terrific; thosbryant.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/volvo-d24t-bosch-ve-injection-pump-re-seal/
I do have an old pump, but it's been lying a lot longer than 3 years, so is likely to be in as bad a state as yours, the simplest thing might be to take it to the local injection place, after finding out how much it would cost to reseal. Be extremely careful when removing the pipes as finding replacements will not be easy.
Finding the cause of the oil leak will involve removal of oil pan and various gaskets and according to the books is an engine out job. Apparently the d24 pump differs from the d24T one, if you want to check if the Tic is different again I would suggest asking Barry /Bernard at Lakes Volvo (breakers). I think all their 940 diesels have been pillaged however. Again I do have a d24T lump in the garage, so if the T and the Tics pumps are the same it could be salvaged....

jor
The Following User Says Thank You to jor For This Useful Post: