Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

bmc

Views : 539

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 9th, 2019, 19:49   #1
marklee77

Default bmc

hi guys new on here need some advice, I changed my v40 s driveshaft yesterday fitted all back together and it drives ok but it does not stop when I brake the pedal goes to the floor and theres hardly any braking force theres no brake fluid leaks, the lines dont seem to be bulging or expanding, so I am thinking must be the brake master cylinder is letting fluid pass the seals as the piston is moving what are you guys opinions on this? any advice appreciatted
marklee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2019, 21:57   #2
flyingtech55

Where do you start with this one?

1) Did the brakes work properly before you started the job?

2) Which side drive shaft did you remove and why?

3) During the work, did you break into the braking system hydraulics?

4) After you completed the work did you have any parts or fasteners left over?

5) How much experience have you working on cars?

Removing the driveshaft on these cars is really pretty straightforward and should not cause any problem with the braking system at all...you barely have to touch it. Just unbolt the carrier/caliper assembly from the hub and hang it out of the way under the wheel arch using a suitable wire hook.

TimR
flyingtech55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14th, 2019, 19:55   #3
marklee77

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingtech55 View Post
Where do you start with this one?

1) Did the brakes work properly before you started the job?

2) Which side drive shaft did you remove and why?

3) During the work, did you break into the braking system hydraulics?

4) After you completed the work did you have any parts or fasteners left over?

5) How much experience have you working on cars?

Removing the driveshaft on these cars is really pretty straightforward and should not cause any problem with the braking system at all...you barely have to touch it. Just unbolt the carrier/caliper assembly from the hub and hang it out of the way under the wheel arch using a suitable wire hook.

TimR
hey Tim
1 yes brakes worked propperly b4
2 left side was replace because it was broken
3 no took caliper and carrier off hung them on the shock coil so line was not under tension the hydrolics weere not undone theres no fluid leaking
4 every thing that came off the car went back on
5 I have good knowledge of cars

yes job is a peice of cake its done theres no problem with the drive shaft just strange the brakes stopped working and no leaks I ordered the bmc straight away arrived today I ll make some lines to go to the res then bench bleed it, then when I get a chance Ill fit it see if it makes a difference I cant think anything else it could b atm

Last edited by marklee77; Aug 14th, 2019 at 20:01.
marklee77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2019, 12:30   #4
flyingtech55

Next move I think would be to clamp off all four flexi pipes and see if the pedal comes back. Also have a look at the rear flexis as my car suddenly developed a soft pedal because the rear flexi pipe had corroded (and holed) just above the banjo bolt fitting.

Good luck

Tim
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 21:57   #5
flyingtech55

Well the silence is pretty deafening! I guess we'll never know what the answer was.

There you go. I guess that's why no-one else answered. However, you always like to give a chap the benefit of the doubt.

TimR
Old Aug 26th, 2019, 07:12   #6
lynns hubby
Master Member

It is frustrating when you never get to the result.
I have had an issue with my XC70 and been a while sorting it, but I have just posted my findings to keep everyone up to speed as it gets really frustrating for those trying to help you when the OP never lets you know the results.
lynns hubby is offline   Reply With Quote