Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are P3 cars "better" than P2 cars

Views : 10031

Replies : 43

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2014, 15:51   #11
I-S
Premier Member

No worries, it's a complexicating minefield...

What I'm currently trying to figure out is how the underlying bits of p3 compare.

P2 was quite notable for its use of aluminum suspension components (e.g. lower control arms). The significant difference between p2 and d3 was that these were replaced with steel to make it cheaper for the American Ford models it was used in. This increased unsprung mass...

What I don't know is what is on P3. I have a feeling that the p3 Volvos may be more Ford-like in this regard, which would be a shame (but note bmw went from aluminum suspension parts in the e39 5 series to steel in the e60 (and back again in the f10!)), so it's probably not really something to get hung up on (I just like the engineering purity and longevity of aluminum in this application).
I-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 16:54   #12
100K+
Premier Member

Thanks guys for all the info and your replies. I did not wish to start a P3 v P2 war, as someone said both lines can be deeply entrenched.
What I was after I suppose, was owners who had moved from P2 to P3 and thought it a good move and why, and vice versa.
My biggest concern, as voiced in one reply is the EPB on a manual box.
It may be ok on an autobox, but I suspect I'll have major issues with a manual. A 215BHP engine looks fine, has to offer more MPG than my T5.

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 17:34   #13
TimS

I bought a new P2/170 manual petrol (2002) & ran it for 11 years/~90k miles as a private purchase. I replaced it last May with a new P3 D4 Geartronic, in which I've done about 4.5k miles. I can't really comment on P3 reliability, other than so far, no problem.

It's hard to be objective, because the old car grew up with the children, went all over Europe & was a family car. The new one doesn't have those memories, so it's at an immediate unfair disadvantage. I was genuinely sad to see the old one go.

the P2 for most of its life needed nothing but regular (independent) servicing, & was still on the original exhaust, front disks & battery when I sold it. Non-service items were limited to drop links, fuel flap hinge, front O2 sensor. I once saw 144MPH one the clock (yeah, I know...) on the Autobahn.

The handbrake shoes fell apart, like they all do. I never once needed to add a single drop of oil between services. I got rid because both front door lock modules (two per side) failed, & it was about £750 for a main dealer to replace them. I was mindful that the clutch was maybe on borrowed time. Dealer gave me a grand for the old one (unseen) despite me telling him about the locks, & a good price to change on the new one.

I bought a P3 because we looked at other marques, & the Volvo still seemed the happiest place to sit. The new V40 seemed a bit too firm & I didin't like the wrong-side handbrake or the video-game instruments. So it had to be a V70, & I cringed at spending the money, but I'll probably keep it for a decade.

Personally, I think I prefer the P2 cabin. the P3 feels cheaper: the buttons on the wheel are raised proud in the P2, with round edges. The P3 ones are flush. There's a nice door handle that falls under your fingers in the P2. The sand-coloured plastic on the wheel is much more easily marked in the P3, and the rim makes me frightened of getting diesel (uugh, horrid stuff), sweat or whatever impregnated into it.

The P2 rear seat armrest makes a nice soft rest for tired children (and the P3 one is a thinner, harder one). The shopping tray in the boot of the P2 is full width, solid, and has a removable splash tray. The P3 one is partial width, flimsy, and there's nothing to catch water or mud on wet clothes.

The electric handbrake is weird, the citysafe is a pain when it slams the brakes on as I turn slowly into the drive, and the stop-start is a nuiscence. But it's a big, comfortable car, better inside than the BMW 520d I tested (although the BMW 8-speed auto box was brilliant). But, as my wife says, it doesn't have a 'personality', unlike our P2. But I suppose people have been saying that kind of thing since the days of buying a new horse & eating the old one.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TimS For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 18:42   #14
I-S
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimS View Post
The sand-coloured plastic on the wheel is much more easily marked in the P3, and the rim makes me frightened of getting diesel (uugh, horrid stuff), sweat or whatever impregnated into it.
The very reason that the cream steering wheel was vetoed in our household. Saw some great cars but had to rule them out for that reason alone..
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 18:59   #15
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Some very good, rounded, and fair comments so far and I can't really add an awful lot more.

If both P2 and P3 were on sale right now, new from the dealer and similarly priced, which one would I buy? P3. It's bigger, I prefer what I perceive to be a higher seating position, roomier in the front, the D3 engine option, better standard equipment on the base model (at least that's how my MY2011 ES seems), more airbags, stiffer body and better turning circle.

After 70k miles and three and a half years I'm not convinced that the materials used are genuinely inferior on the P3, I guess only time will tell but mine has no squeaks or rattles and all the materials and trims come up like new when cleaned.

Compared to the P2 forum the P3 forum doesn't seem to have as many "stickies" with common problems - I know these will increase with time on the P3 forum but given that the model is now some six years old there doesn't appear to be that many common issues.

DPF and DMF issues are common across all marques so that's not a fair area for comparison.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tommyweaves For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 19:01   #16
tommyweaves
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
The very reason that the cream steering wheel was vetoed in our household. Saw some great cars but had to rule them out for that reason alone..
Ditto on that one! I'd never trust myself with a cream or otherwise light coloured interior.
tommyweaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 19:21   #17
I-S
Premier Member

We have the cream interior... but with black wheel and plastics
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 20:11   #18
TimS

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-S View Post
We have the cream interior... but with black wheel and plastics
That might have been a better choice. We chose basically the same colours for both cars: dark navy outside, sand inside. The light interior is nice (although I'm scared of wearing new black trousers in the new car!), but we had a darker wheel in the old car, & that would have been better in the new one.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 20:14   #19
dannynic

Default Rear seat legroom

We looked at both, and test drove both a couple of years ago. I much preferred the look of the P2 however we went for the P3 because of one main reason and that was rear seat legroom, there is a lot more space in the P3 and that made a lot of difference when you have to fit 2 child seats in the back.
dannynic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 20:29   #20
clivea
clivea

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannynic View Post
We looked at both, and test drove both a couple of years ago. I much preferred the look of the P2 however we went for the P3 because of one main reason and that was rear seat legroom, there is a lot more space in the P3 and that made a lot of difference when you have to fit 2 child seats in the back.
I'm 6ft 4in and find the rear leg room minimal for such a large car. When carrying any rear passengers I always have to move my seat forwards. In fact my wife's Note has sufficient rear legroom such that I do not have to adjust my driving position.

April 2014 Subaru Forester XE Lineatronic.
2010-April 2014 XC70 SE Premium 205ps D5 Geartronic AWD 2010MY Oyster Grey
clivea is offline   Reply With Quote