Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Interior Bulb Upgrade, Possible?.........

Views : 3642

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 24th, 2014, 18:13   #1
Kev H

Default Interior Bulb Upgrade, Possible?.........

Hi all,

I was looking to upgrade the interior lighting to LED bulbs as it brightens up the interior.

After sourcing some replacement 501 type LED bulbs off ebay ive just found out that the Volvo interior bulbs are mated to the bulb holders. Even removing the bulb and replacing with the LED wont work as the connector points/wires are in the wrong place.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Is it possible to buy bulb holders only which would accept a standard 501 type bulb?

I cant see any online and im now wondering if this is even possible on a 2008 V70.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kev
Kev H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 19:05   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Changing from standard settings may trigger fault reports. It has done on my merc sprinter after I fitted higher wattage lamps to the interior lights, system sees the extra resistance as a light out and triggers the warning. Unless the LEDs are ballested to give same values as original could well do the same thing to the Volvo system.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to green van man For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 19:39   #3
PEGE63
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev H View Post
Hi all,

I was looking to upgrade the interior lighting to LED bulbs as it brightens up the interior.

After sourcing some replacement 501 type LED bulbs off ebay ive just found out that the Volvo interior bulbs are mated to the bulb holders. Even removing the bulb and replacing with the LED wont work as the connector points/wires are in the wrong place.

Has anyone else come across this problem?

Is it possible to buy bulb holders only which would accept a standard 501 type bulb?

I cant see any online and im now wondering if this is even possible on a 2008 V70.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Kev
I replaced the boot light for a LED (canbus), bit fiddly to fit due to heat sink but in it went and light is great. not tried anywhere else.

V70 D5 (185) SE Sport, Geartronic, 58 MY08 4C. 133k
(before Avensis 55 95K, P97 945 LPT 2.3FK 113K and J92 945 2.0T 165K)
PEGE63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25th, 2014, 19:46   #4
lukas430000

Hey

I have changed all interior bulbs to LED/SMD ones. Was not easy but it's do able.
Just to let You know that newer type led with flat connector won't fit. It have to be older type with wires sticking on each side. That's for interior domes.

They won't fit due to flat connector surface:

But they ones will:

Another thing is at least one of them must be canbus. Otherwise they will slightly glow after You lock car.

For the footwell, glovebox and boot You can use any festoon leds. If you need pics I can get some later. I had a thread somewhere in here but after server updates pics are gone... Any help just let know.

Cheers

Luk
Old Oct 10th, 2014, 06:52   #5
Kev H

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info, Sorry for not replying sooner but was on holiday.

Lukas, its the flat type Leds i got which is obviously why the are not compatible.

How did you get the ones with the wires to work? Do you just pull the wires to the side so they touch the wires in the bulb holders?

Did you just pull out the original bulb until it rips from the holders or is it possible to remove them with a soldering iron? Any pics would be really usefull.

I dont want to be changing only some of the bulbs, would rather have all the interior matching and the LEDS really freshen up any car.

Cheers
Old Oct 11th, 2014, 21:36   #6
lukas430000

Hello

I will try upload pictures tomorrow. U need to take whole domes out of the car and just do them in warmth of Your house. When You open lights You need to take the bulbs out. I think they are soldered in place. Just remove them gently. Wires You can solder or just like me push in place. Flat fitting will not touch connectors so it's no good. Unless You can put some solder on top of contacts.
As I said I will take pics tomorrow.

Hope this helps
Old Oct 12th, 2014, 15:50   #7
lukas430000

Hey Kev H

I tried to take as detailed pics as possible. Hopefully my phone is good enough...

Front cluster:

That's the front dome. Small tabs in blue holder can be taken out and wires from the bulb can be attached to them. Then just insert them back. Mind that they are very small and can be lost easily. I am not sure if You can purchase some holders on ebay or else...

Rear dome:

Hope this helps Kev
Old Oct 13th, 2014, 13:16   #8
HausiV50

Hi, I had the same problem and solved it with these:
http://hidkitpros.com/shop/t10194-twist-lock-sockets/
works pretty well...
cheers Hans
Attached Images
File Type: jpg T10-Twist-Socket-200x200.jpg (8.1 KB, 13 views)
HausiV50 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HausiV50 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 17th, 2014, 08:16   #9
Kev H

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for your pics/info thats a massive help.

I didnt want to buy any more bulbs until i was sure i could get them to work.

Hausi - Ive not been able to find these on ebay etc but i might go for the ones in your link, i take it these are a direct fit?

Ill go and source what i need and let you know how i get on.

Cheers
Old Dec 8th, 2014, 00:04   #10
yourtheguy

Hi Lukas, you answered a question I was meaning to ask with this post, I have changed my interior bulbs to LED's and the do glow ever so slightly when the car is locked but also when driving you can make out a faint light.
So next job is to find some canbus LED's and fit.

Thanks very much for you input.
yourtheguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yourtheguy For This Useful Post: