Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Articles
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850/x70 S1 Articles How to's and step by step guides on a specific repair or modification to a Volvo 850/70 car.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

v70 spinning ignition key fix

Views : 6679

Replies : 0

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 16th, 2009, 10:39   #1
alv70d1999
I've Been Banned

Default v70 spinning ignition key fix

hi... has anyone got or had the dreaded spinning key syndrome where the ignition key just spins and wont start the car?... well so did i until i fixed it.
story starts when i contacted volvo to see how much a new lock would be with a coded key and i needed to sell one of the kids to pay for it. so i decided to have a go down the diy route.
firstly, i had to buy a lock of fleebay that was 99% identical apart from the number and i got away with it. then i cut the barrel out with a dremmel drill to find out why the tumbler would not co me out and i found out why. the tumbler was actually set into the barrel with a cir-clip on the inside that isn't accessible from the outside at all. so i sat and pondered over it for a while and come up with a solution!..i thought... what if i drill holes where the cir clip is and try to push the clip in so the tumbler can then be pushed out.... good idea i thought.
so i did( see fotos)... then i come up with the idea of using ball bearings to push the clip in but found it hard to push all 5 bearings in at once....... then i thought of using a jubilee clip and hey presto!!!!!.... the jubilee clip pushed all the bearings in and that pushed the cir-clip in just enough for me to tap the tumbler out and it was free.....when you get the tumbler out, you`l find that its locked into the outer case with a cir-clip that has to be removed before you can get the insides out...then all i did was made a good tumbler using the insides out of the new and old tumbler and then put it all back together and its perfect!

iv saved myself in access of 200 quid and all because i took the initiative to have a go myself and not bow down to volvo and there vastly over rated prices!.

hope this helps and saves you money!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P310509_10.59.JPG (65.5 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg P310509_11.00.JPG (68.8 KB, 182 views)
File Type: jpg P310509_11.03.JPG (69.7 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg P310509_11.22.JPG (75.0 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg P310509_11.58.JPG (89.1 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg P310509_10.59[02].JPG (73.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg P310509_12.00.JPG (98.6 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg P310509_12.14.JPG (91.2 KB, 186 views)