Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Cycle carrier won’t fit new towbar

Views : 2197

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2018, 08:57   #1
jimmyging

Default Cycle carrier won’t fit new towbar

Hi all
I recently purchased a 2016 xc90 and it has a swing away towbar . My ptoblem is that I have a witter 4 cycle carrier that will only fit a flange style towbar . Is there a fix to this by either adjusting the towbar or the plate on the cycle carrier . I really only use it once or twice a year for family holidays but would like to keep the cycle carrier if possible .Any advice would be much appreciated .
jimmyging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 17:34   #2
1monkey600

Something like this?

https://www.wilmond.co.uk/clam-shell...e-adaptor.html
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1monkey600 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2018, 18:56   #3
jimmyging

thank you 1 monkey 600
the cycle carrier I have is something like this https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui...1&disp=safe&zw
and the towbar I have is a retractable towbar .
Old Apr 17th, 2018, 12:51   #4
jimmyging

IMG_0137.jpg

Hi sorry for previous garbled messages .This is the baseplate attachment end of the cycle carrier that I have so I need to be able to fit this to the towbar and it looks as if the attachment that you mentioned 1monkey600 wont work for this one .Just to reiterate I have a 2016 xc 90 with a retractable towbar and and looking to get this cycle carrier to fit it .
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:11   #5
1monkey600

Sorry, I Can't make out what your photo is trying to show. I have no idea what the specifics of your towbar is either.
What i looked for is an adaptor that would turn a swan neck towball into a flange type towball - this is it ( see previous link or direct here http://www.bak-rak.com/s%20to%20f%20converter.htm ). I.e you can bolt your standard flange type ball ( or any special brackets) to this adaptor, and then fit this adaptor onto the swan neck ball - Hey Presto, you have a bog standard flange type towball on the back of your car.
It wouldn't be practical for towing something because your new ball would now be several inches too high but can't see why it wouldn't fit your bike carrier as it would be a bog standard flange.
Is it simply because you wouldn't be able to retract your hitch without unbolting the adaptor?

Last edited by 1monkey600; Apr 18th, 2018 at 09:14. Reason: Added new link
1monkey600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 08:34   #6
4x4
I roll

Is this the sort of carrier you have?

If so you need an adapter and unless you're going to take the adapter off every time you'll not be able to fold the lowball away

Volvo 850 GLT website
4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18th, 2018, 10:50   #7
Whyman
Premier Member

Bite the bullet and buy a Thule rack that fits on to your towball. There is a 3 bike one for sale on this forum at a reasonable price and get most or all of your money back by selling your existing one.

The Thule ones are very stable, much easier to fit and the bikes are more secure on the rack and they can be locked on. It can also be locked on to the towball and can be lowered for access to the boot/tailgate and comes complete with a lighting board to keep you legal when the bikes are on and obscuring the cars rear lights.
Old Apr 30th, 2018, 16:50   #8
jimmyging

Hi all thanks for all the replies @4*4 its a baseplate with 2 slots about 6" each in depth and the cycle carrier slots into these and is secured with with clamps .
I really appreciate the replies thank you
Old May 6th, 2018, 21:27   #9
MikeS100
Premier Member

Do you want to be able to use the bike rack and tow at the same time? If you do then I think your options are going to be very limited. If you're just using the bike rack then a direct tow ball mounted rack would be a better option as already mentioned. I have an Altera Strada DL3 with 4th bike extension, it's a fantastic bit of kit. I can't compare it to the Thule but I wouldn't fault it at all and highly recommend it. The slide away function to access the boot is very useful! It fits effortlessly on both my V70 with fixed flange tow ball and C70 with detachable swan neck.

But either way whether you are using whilst also towing or not I think you may need to get a new rack.
MikeS100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15th, 2018, 22:37   #10
jimmyging

Hi all

I bit the bullet and bought and new cycle carrier as couldn't get the old one to fit or get an adapter for it .Now I have just discovered that the roof bars from my 07 xc90 don't fit the new xc90 and have had to get my neighbours halford roof bars as going on French holiday this week …! Again thanks for all the help
Jimmy