Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Noisy Seats?!

Views : 633

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 19th, 2018, 16:13   #1
domhart10
Volvo S40

Default Noisy Seats?!

Not so much of a problem but when I got the car, it felt as tight as a drum and there was no rattling and it was dead silent and quiet etc etc, even the engine was mega quiet under idle.

The other day driving along I noticed my seat has started creaking loads?! obviously not a problem but its annoying me as everything else sits nice and quite in the cabin .... anyone got this as well? where do I start oiling? feels like its actually inside the seat rather than the rails.

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19th, 2018, 18:08   #2
iainmd

Common fault. Recline the seat back all the way back and you'll see the hinges between the base and the upright. Spray them with PTFE lube spray (not WD40) and they should cease creaking.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 13:20   #3
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Gonna add my 2c to that as I had the same issue twice. Hinges are one part, but culprit is also deeper in the seat - those whiplash protecting parts (see pic).
I found that it was actually easier to get there by reclining seats forward and spraying generously in that around-area.
Havent heard creak since last May (knock on wood).
Its worth noting, that it was an official Volvo recall or advised work in US I think and the documented remedy for that is to disassembly a seat and putting a piece of felt there to sort it out once for all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg volvo-xc60-whiplash-protection-system1.jpg (56.8 KB, 20 views)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 15:32   #4
domhart10
Volvo S40

Thanks guys, I will do this today or tomorrow right away. not sure I can claim on recall as every recall should have been done with the dealer as I checked to make sure everything that needed to be done, has

Previous Volvo: 2008 S40 SE Lux R Design 2.0D
domhart10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20th, 2018, 16:04   #5
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by domhart10 View Post
Thanks guys, I will do this today or tomorrow right away. not sure I can claim on recall as every recall should have been done with the dealer as I checked to make sure everything that needed to be done, has
Its actually not a recall but a under-warranty fix with Volvo bulletin, just double checked.
99% cases a good lube will sort it out anyway and less hassle without taking seat out. good luck anyway!
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 14:09   #6
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Yep I had the same issue, some PTFE oil sorted it no problem.

It's just my door cards that rattle now.

They really aren't as well put together these models. My older S40 had 200k on the clock and didn't rattle at all. My parents have a 2009 S40 T5 R-Design and a 2012 C30 R-Design and both of those rattle inside too (thanks Ford).

Ho hum!
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 15:43   #7
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
Yep I had the same issue, some PTFE oil sorted it no problem.

It's just my door cards that rattle now.

They really aren't as well put together these models. My older S40 had 200k on the clock and didn't rattle at all. My parents have a 2009 S40 T5 R-Design and a 2012 C30 R-Design and both of those rattle inside too (thanks Ford).

Ho hum!
Funny you should say that, as it was literally the first thing I thought after 5 mins of driving my V50 after I bought it. I remember going onto motorway and wondering why everything creaks and rattles a bit, comparing to my prev gen 2003 S40 that didnt even hint a squeak...
too much (cheap) plastic I guess?...
Old Mar 21st, 2018, 16:52   #8
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Funny you should say that, as it was literally the first thing I thought after 5 mins of driving my V50 after I bought it. I remember going onto motorway and wondering why everything creaks and rattles a bit, comparing to my prev gen 2003 S40 that didnt even hint a squeak...
too much (cheap) plastic I guess?...
I'm guessing most of the cost when new on the older cars would be higher quality materials and time to put together etc.

On these and newer cars I imagine the cost of them is mostly spent on electronic/software engineers designing all the crap in them.

Every iteration it seems the price goes up due to the technology inside and they save money on mechanical/material parts to bring it to market at a 'marketable' price.

The new (2014+) XC90 has over 130 different modules inside and the main software controlling it is over 12GB in size. When you consider Windows 10 is less than that and is a complete OS.....It's a bit crazy.

The software list for it on ViDA last time I looked was insane....