Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

S40 T4 tuning and parts ( new on the volvo scene)

Views : 905

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 4th, 2016, 15:01   #1
shaunk22

Default S40 T4 tuning and parts ( new on the volvo scene)

Hi, i'm new to the Volvo scene, as of last week. I picked up a running year 2000 S40 T4 with mot until next year for 11 quid!
As soon as i drove it, boom headgasket blew! All is well though because i have grown to it and i must say after owning volkswagens and seats for years, its a nice change. I have a 5 cyl seat toledo which is nearing the end of its tuning completion and i want to start on this. Me and the fella that works with me started stripping it down, suprisingly easy and good to work on, despite a bugger of the exhaust cam, but i've decided to see what to tune it up abot get some more power out of it. I've got the head skimmed and am picking it up today, but i thought i'd asked you guys whats the best way to get good gains on this engine. Would it be worth getting it ported and polished in the shop and fitting better valves?
I've had a fish around and seen people talking about vxr injectors too? Also about remaps? I had a fella at dna tuning do my seat and its a great job, who is the best to map these engines? Sorry for my lack of knowledge on these cars, its the first volvo i've had.
All advice is appreciated.
Cheers, Shaun

P.S if anyone is selling a radiator please let me know, mine is knackered.

Last edited by shaunk22; Aug 4th, 2016 at 15:16. Reason: .
shaunk22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to shaunk22 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 4th, 2016, 16:52   #2
Spetsnaz GSh
Master Member

Hello and welcome to the Volvo scene.

First and foremost, before even starting to look into upgrades. Get the car up to a proper good standard health wise.

A full service including genuine plugs, a very good oil such as Shell ultra Helix 5W40, new brake fluid and coolant and a turbo boost control valve also (they only last about a year due to them taking in dirty air so worth doing).

This is the best place to start.

Then brakes and suspension, get genuine pads and discs all around and look at the current condition of front top mounts, front and rear anti roll bar drop links and bushes. Then you can look into better quality shocks and springs.

this will give you the platform on which to build your tuning.

From my experience, the remap to mine instantly exposed the limitations of my aged springs, sub standard shocks and failing ARB front link.

regarding engine tuning and upgrades, there are some better people on this forum who run higher power than mine so I'll leave that list to them

hope this helps.

James

2003 Volvo S40 T4 Sport
Anthracite Arcadias - OEM Strut Brace - Full 3" Exhaust System & 200 Cell Cat - Ashok's Custom Remap (1.35bar) - Earl's Performance Turbo Oil Feed - Ph1 Air Deflection Trims - Business Pack - Winter Pack - HID Xenon Headlamps
Spetsnaz GSh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spetsnaz GSh For This Useful Post: