Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Failure - Wheels rubbing - useful info!

Views : 238010

Replies : 85

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 17:34   #31
Clan
Experienced Member

yes , but the kit is a last resort if you cant cure it any other way ... assuming authorised tyre sizes ( listed on petrol filler flap )
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 23:21   #32
drcnnn

First off, excuse my ignorance, but what is MOT? I have the optional Volvo 17" wheels and they rub horribly at full lock. I appreciate the advice here.
drcnnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2009, 23:47   #33
Dunc
Dunc

[QUOTE=drcnnn;476419]First off, excuse my ignorance, but what is MOT?

MOT is our department of transport roadworthy test which has to be done every 12 month, once a car has reached 3 years old.
Old Aug 14th, 2010, 16:47   #34
bigt1986
IT Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobS View Post
Hi Paul,

Had the same problem and with the MOT due I did a quick 'fix'. On the lower wishbones there is the rubber limit stop bolted on. I fitted 2 washers to each bolt to pad the stop out a bit. Worked a treat! Now I am one of those Volvo drivers that takes 23 attempts to do a 3 point turn........

Bob
Hey much like what bob said above is what ive herd, i went to see a garage to get some work done and i was havin a crack on with the lad who owns it, we talked about mods for it, he said he would lower it a bit and maybe remap the engine he said not much more i can do without spoiling it. i told him i cant lower it as it rubs on full lock, he called one of his mates over and asked him about the fault he had with his, the lad said he had the same issue and said it was common with alot of volvo's he said he put the washers underneath and has never had bother since.
Old Mar 7th, 2011, 11:39   #35
weeksy

Guys,

As my car is in for a wheel bearing tomorrow and a left front 'clunk' i thought i'd get the garage to do the spacer mod for me.

However, i'm a bit clueless on what/where etc. So if i can give the garage a bit of guidance/tech info that would hep me lots.

FWIW i've got an S60 D5 running 16" Mimas.
weeksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 22:15   #36
ade555

well not just the 18s rubbing I have 17s 225 and at full lock they rubbing and once you look at the arch it self you can see nice shiny parts and tyres in few 0000s to be replace, is there a statment anywhere on net where it state that this is sort of normal for Volvo cars and is not MOT fail, I just love to argue with mechanics is well as security guys most of them are not very bright.
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2011, 22:42   #37
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ade555 View Post
well not just the 18s rubbing I have 17s 225 and at full lock they rubbing and once you look at the arch it self you can see nice shiny parts and tyres in few 0000s to be replace, is there a statment anywhere on net where it state that this is sort of normal for Volvo cars and is not MOT fail, I just love to argue with mechanics is well as security guys most of them are not very bright.
It is permissable for the tyres to rub "on a plate put there specificaly for the purpose" thats the gist of what is written in the MOT Testers manual perhaps he should read it ..

The Morgan sports car has alloy blocks on the side of the chassis for this very purpose too .

Now if your tyres have rubbed through the plate and the plastic liner too then this is excessive and should fail , But just shiny marks on the metal plate put there for the purpose which is what you have where the tyres occasionaly rub when parking ,that is not a fail ...

ask for the appeal form!
Old Apr 15th, 2011, 06:41   #38
ade555

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
It is permissable for the tyres to rub "on a plate put there specificaly for the purpose" thats the gist of what is written in the MOT Testers manual perhaps he should read it ..

The Morgan sports car has alloy blocks on the side of the chassis for this very purpose too .

Now if your tyres have rubbed through the plate and the plastic liner too then this is excessive and should fail , But just shiny marks on the metal plate put there for the purpose which is what you have where the tyres occasionaly rub when parking ,that is not a fail ...

ask for the appeal form!

I didn't take the car for MOT yet, but is due very shortly so will have to wait and see what will happend but at least now I know he can't fail the MOT on this problem
ade555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:33   #39
mm60103

Default Rubbing wheels

Had a similar problem with my S80 on front lock with the tyres catching the inner wings. At first I put it down to the tyre profile. Discussing this at a tyre and exhaust garage the mechanic pointed out the wear on some hard plastic steering lock stops. When I contacted Volvo to get some replacements the first question was size wheels/tyres is the car running on. Changed mine as a pair and rubbing has stopped.
mm60103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:15   #40
GMad
Premier Member

When I had my S60 MOT'd a couple of months ago, the fact that there was slight rubbage from my standard 17 inch wheels/tyres, was mentioned by the tester. He did however say something along the lines of "known Volvo issue" and didn't even advise on it.
I guess he was an experienced/clued up tester?