Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Persistent leaking windscreen on 144

Views : 1014

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 28th, 2007, 11:38   #1
Simon Ward
Club Director

Default Persistent leaking windscreen on 144

Hello everyone,
I've been struggling recently with a leaking screen on my 144. I took the screen out, removed all the old trim clips cleaned off all the old sealant. Then I got some new metal welded in the bottom corner and ground out all other areas of surface rust, then primed and painted it. I invested in new trim clips and got the screen re-fitted and sealed by National Windcreens. It still leaked! Both at the top and down the A-pillars making two very distinct pools on the floor.
The water is visible from the inside of the car coming in around the clips along the top of the screen, it also comes in down the inside of the A-pillar and there is nowhere else where it can get in except the side of the windscreen.
I took the screen out again and repeated the process and again got it re-fitted, but to no avail!!!.
Any bright ideas gratefully appreciated!!
Cheers
Simon
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 12:08   #2
sdewolfe

Default butyl caulk might work

Hello,

My first post to this forum. I just saw your post and thought I might be able to help.

I had several leaks around the gasket on the windshield of my 122S. A new rubber didn't even slow it down. In fact, it worsened.

One day I happened past a small glass shop and stopped to talk to the owner. He indicated he could not warranty the work but would be willing to try butyl caulk.

He taped off the paint, glass, and trim and injected the caulk between the rubber and glass and between the rubber and body. The car was parked into the sun for the remainder of the day and not disturbed until the next morning. Long story made shorter, it worked.

It is worth a try to find a specialty shop that works with older cars. I found that most shops would not even look at it. Though I was not present to watch the proceedings I gather a sufficiently careful and patient DIY owner could accomplish the same results.
sdewolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 17:32   #3
Simon Ward
Club Director

Default Leaking windscreen

That's good to know. I'll certainly look into it! I'm almost at my wits end with the thing!
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 20:57   #4
Fivehundred

Are you sure you have a leaking windscreen? Check the drain holes in the sills The heater intake drains through the grill in front of the screen, down the box sections that make up the footwell quarter panels and into the sills. They can also leak through carelessly fitted aerial holes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIJUANA View Post
Hello everyone,
I've been struggling recently with a leaking screen on my 144. I took the screen out, removed all the old trim clips cleaned off all the old sealant. Then I got some new metal welded in the bottom corner and ground out all other areas of surface rust, then primed and painted it. I invested in new trim clips and got the screen re-fitted and sealed by National Windcreens. It still leaked! Both at the top and down the A-pillars making two very distinct pools on the floor.
The water is visible from the inside of the car coming in around the clips along the top of the screen, it also comes in down the inside of the A-pillar and there is nowhere else where it can get in except the side of the windscreen.
I took the screen out again and repeated the process and again got it re-fitted, but to no avail!!!.
Any bright ideas gratefully appreciated!!
Cheers
Simon
Old Aug 30th, 2007, 13:50   #5
Simon Ward
Club Director

Default Leaking windscreen

Thanks for that..
I've put gallons of water into the heater air intake and it all comes gushing out from the sills leaving the footwells dry as a bone!!
The aerial is on the wing.
I'm leaving the car with National Windscreens next week as I'm away on holiday so I'll hope that they make some headway!
Cheers
Simon