Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Parts availability/equivalents

Views : 4077

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 16th, 2006, 23:15   #1
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Default Parts availability/equivalents

Having just acquired a 164 I am in need of a bit of guidance re parts. I'm happy with Amazons but haven't had to source 164 parts before and it seems that few websites specifically list 164 parts... the infuriating "email us for details" seems to be more common.

Body panels... I need rear wheelarch repair sections and part sills. They've been done already but to an appallingly low standard and it all needs to be done again. Now in theory the 164 is the same as the 140 from the A-pillars backwards but I bet there are some differences waiting to trap the unwary Anyone care to enumerate them? And whose repair sections are closest to the correct shape?

Brakes... The Amazon dodge is to use Landcrab brake parts. Is there a similar dodge for 164s? There must be... I suspect the Girling part numbers would be useful.

Suspension... replacement bushes and stuff; would be interested in polyurethane for durability but don't want to alter the ride. Shocks - again I want replacements with the same characteristics as the originals - managed this for Amazons, who's good for 164s?

Odds and ends... engine mounts, headlight trims, track rod ends... no doubt the first two at least are specific to 164s and hard to find?

And one more question... is the BW35 bolt pattern compatible with the AW70L/AW71L? Four speeds plus torque converter lockup would be handy for keeping me out of the petrol stations

Cheers!

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2006, 22:43   #2
Triple-S
How Old?

Default Virtues of Volvo 164 ownership

I have had lots of 164s over the years, and can vouch that there are precious few dedicated suppliers of 164 spares in the UK now.
Yes - the body is more or less the same as 140s behind the windscreen (year for year) but as you probably realise, body spares for that model are not easy either - neither have the following that the Amazon does.
I've not tried to deviate from standard when working on 164s so cannot vouch for compatibility with other makes/models, but for instance the 164 use ATE brakes rather than Girling - sometimes a pain to get calipers, and you try getting a master cylinder! The fuel injection system comprises lots of rare-nowadays bits - new petrol pumps and pressure regulators cost well over £100 each, if at all in the UK. Exhausts are prone to blowing at the back - again, special order only. Fog-lights - practically extinct. Leather interior gets brittle, a retrim very expensive. Iron manifolds crack - enjoy continually trying your friendly breakers in the hope of getting one! Auto box flex hoses to the cooler at the bottom of the rad are unavailable new. Economy - one doesn't run a 164 to be a cheapskate - it is a rare comfortable limo with good looks: what more can you want?
I find my 164E almost as economical as my usual 240 day-car, but then I do drive carefully. It has more poke than my carb one, and is far better than the auto I used to drive.
However. welcome to this select band of 164 drivers: not many of us left nowadays I fear. Any major snag try me on volvopaul@tesco.net No promises but I might be able to help.
Triple-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 00:09   #3
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Cheers for that, some useful (if depressing) information there! So parts are gonna be fun Useful to know about the ATE brakes. I can envisage my lathe coming in handy and my decision to set up with oxyacetylene kit has received further confirmation - dud exhausts hold no terrors when one is armed with one of those beasties.

The driver's seat has a couple of splits in it but the others are pretty good... an early job will be to go over them all with hide food to try and keep them that way.

"A rare comfortable limo with good looks" is pretty much how I see it. As an all-weather motorcyclist with two bikes (albeit one in pieces) I don't envisage putting huge mileage on it - I shall be keeping it for those occasions where its comfort and class are of importance - but at twice the consumption of the larger bike and three times that of the smaller one it does make me swallow a bit and it has to be said that a transmission swap would further increase the refinement. I'd also be keen to convert to D-Jet, having done this on an Amazon with good results (and as an electronics engineer the system holds for me no terrors but rather a certain beauty in the design of its analogue processing) but I can't see much chance of getting hold of the kit... I could build an original-design ECU myself, but the other parts as you say are like hens' teeth.

However, there are a fair few other jobs to be done which are of rather greater and more immediate importance, and I made the decision to get the car in full knowledge of its running costs. I'm also pretty keen to keep it in major part original - apart from the abovementioned proposals which may never happen, the only other mod I'll be doing is to replace the indicator/stop/tail/reverse/sidelight bulbs with "Lumiled" single-unit high-power LEDs. This brings benefits both in safety and in convenience as they never blow, and as they are single high-power units rather than the more common aftermarket "cluster" units, it is impossible to tell it has been done without dismantling the lights.

An email to volvo@amazoncars.co.uk has brought some good news wrt the parts I know it needs - seems they do have a pretty good selection, just a pity they don't list it on their website. So that's useful.

Thanks for the welcome! This is a car I intend to keep for a looong time...

Be kind to pigeons
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 18:01   #4
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

Body wise a pillar back the 164 is the same as the 140 year for year. Also as the 140 late model ones share the same pannals as the early 240 so most bits are obtainable.

Mechanicaly a lot of parts are shared with 140 and 240. The only real odd ball part I can think of the front discs.

The FI system was very advanced for its time and parts can be hard to obtain.

We have found the 164's quite economical to run - even cheaper than a f@rd Fiesta. That is with the 164 on LPG and the Fiesta on petrol.

Over all the 164 is a great car and I would recomend very highly. The seats are better than any modern limo I have come across.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2006, 23:19   #5
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

LPG? Now there's a useful thought... would serve me better than a D-Jet conversion, I think, and probably be easier to get the parts. There certainly seem to be a lot more LPG kits than sets of D-Jet on ebay

Only thing that bugs me a bit about the idea is where to put the LPG tank. It's a big heavy thing so needs to be mounted low down but I'm not keen on removing the original petrol tank, and of course the "doughnuts" won't do for a 164... where did you put yours?

I imagine it makes it essential to fit hardened valve seats and perhaps guides? I wouldn't be happy relying on topping up the lead memory with occasional blasts on petrol with a stiff overdose of Tetraboost in it.

Be kind to pigeons
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 22:23   #6
Mike_Brace
Former contributor

The tank is an easy fit - a 70 litre water capacity (80% fill) fits above rear axle under parcel shelf. It is not necessary to do any headwork. We fit a Flashlube kit which provides full upper cylinder lubrication.

Mike

Mike_Brace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2006, 23:01   #7
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

And that's the second extremely useful thing you've told me tonight. Again, thanks!

Be kind to pigeons
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 10:16   #8
wart
wart

Default volvo 164

Hello,

Try www.blocket.se. Its a Swedish site were regularely 164 parts are for sale. Most of the people speak English and are willing to help.
Good luck,
Wart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
Having just acquired a 164 I am in need of a bit of guidance re parts. I'm happy with Amazons but haven't had to source 164 parts before and it seems that few websites specifically list 164 parts... the infuriating "email us for details" seems to be more common.

Body panels... I need rear wheelarch repair sections and part sills. They've been done already but to an appallingly low standard and it all needs to be done again. Now in theory the 164 is the same as the 140 from the A-pillars backwards but I bet there are some differences waiting to trap the unwary Anyone care to enumerate them? And whose repair sections are closest to the correct shape?

Brakes... The Amazon dodge is to use Landcrab brake parts. Is there a similar dodge for 164s? There must be... I suspect the Girling part numbers would be useful.

Suspension... replacement bushes and stuff; would be interested in polyurethane for durability but don't want to alter the ride. Shocks - again I want replacements with the same characteristics as the originals - managed this for Amazons, who's good for 164s?

Odds and ends... engine mounts, headlight trims, track rod ends... no doubt the first two at least are specific to 164s and hard to find?

And one more question... is the BW35 bolt pattern compatible with the AW70L/AW71L? Four speeds plus torque converter lockup would be handy for keeping me out of the petrol stations

Cheers!
wart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 19:40   #9
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Cheers, that might come in handy if I get stuck. I've got enough Volvo stuff in Swedish to find the translations for technical automotive terms, and though I can't speak or write it it's sufficiently similar to German that I can just about manage to get the gist of the non-technical stuff.

How does one send money to Sweden?

Be kind to pigeons
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 20:52   #10
wart
wart

Default volvo 164 parts

Hi,

No problem, by Ebannumber and Swiftcode.
Otherwise:
Also you can ask a transportcompany (its not hard to find one that goes regularely to Sweden to pick up the parts and pay for them (as long as there is not to much money involved)
Wart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
Cheers, that might come in handy if I get stuck. I've got enough Volvo stuff in Swedish to find the translations for technical automotive terms, and though I can't speak or write it it's sufficiently similar to German that I can just about manage to get the gist of the non-technical stuff.

How does one send money to Sweden?
wart is offline   Reply With Quote