Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

adjusting strombergs

Views : 886

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 20:37   #1
woodturner-fran

Default adjusting strombergs

Hi all,

So due to lumpy tickover issues etc, I decided to give the twin strombergs a bit of TLC. Went through the set up as per the haynes manual (I know ) and the two pistons don't seem to be balanced. When you rev the engine, the front carb seems to put through a lot more fuel than the rear one too.

So, I was going to take apart the carbs and clean them out (the pistons do look pretty dirty). Is there an adjustment for the piston height through the top of the damper pot? And I'm thinking of buying some kind of recon kit for it, or at least replace the diaphragms. Whats the current wisdom on doing this?

Fran
woodturner-fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 20:48   #2
pookie
Premier Member

The mixture on some Stromberg carbs is adjusted down inside the pistons with I think, a 3mm allen key in a special tool to stop the piston assembly turning. If the piston turns during adjustment the diaphragms will tear.
The difference in height is probably down to worn diaphagms, or one carb is working harder than the other due to possibly maladjustment.

Pookie
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 23:15   #3
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

If there are no holes in the diaphragms then difference in height is down to imbalance of the actuation of the butterflies. This is adjusted by loosening the locknuts on the rods connecting the throttle spindle arm to the cranks on the carbs and twiddling the rods in the ball ends. It's a bit of a pain because very small amounts of twiddle make a significant difference and they tend to move when you do the locknuts back up.

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3rd, 2007, 09:55   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Fuel mixture adjustment is done by pressing the jet up or down in the lower housing . The Jet is a tight press fit in the housing ,
This is done with 3 Volvo special tools . One to press the jet down, one to press the jet up and the third is a stepped spacer to set the jets both in the same position for a basic stating point where you will measure the CO and press both jets up or down a very small amount to get the CO about 3% .
It is almost impossible to do this without the correct tools as hitting the jet with a drift may close up the calibrated jet or even break the carb body and also there is no way of determining how far the jet has moved in relation to the second jet in the other carb . Some of the longer established Volvo Dealers will still have these tools hanging up on the boards but whether they would have the staff with any knowledge of how to use them is debatable !

The big brass screw on the outside of the carb near the temperature compensator is an air bleed for fine tuning the CO but in practice makes very little difference .
Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2007, 01:04   #5
woodturner-fran

I'm hoping to strip the carbs down tomorrow night and have a look. I can get all the parts locally so at least I know that stuff is available.

Thanks for the info so far - I will report back soon.

Fran
woodturner-fran is offline   Reply With Quote