Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 Sunroof clean, lubrication and fix

Views : 534

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 14th, 2023, 13:32   #1
SwannyUK

Question 940 Sunroof clean, lubrication and fix

So i've had my 940 almost 12 months now, and the sunroof has never had any issues, however just recently its started with a couple of gremlins;

- Its stopped going back, it'll drop, but not then go into reverse, so I suspect perhaps a microswitch issue.
- It struggles to go up and down on the vent.

I've had a good look through;

https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/faq/BodySunroof.html

...but wondered what you thought about the pieces that seem to have broken, which are in the runner either side of the brass part (with the circlip visible on one side).

Are these bits supposed to be there? What *should* they look like?

I've given the runners a quick clean and lube, which seems to have helped a little, but I want to give it a thorough going over.

Any thoughts?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20230614_115604343.jpg (174.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg PXL_20230614_115609770.jpg (149.7 KB, 36 views)
SwannyUK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SwannyUK For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 18:22   #2
Forrest
VOC Member

That plastic liner in the track always breaks and the pieces block the sunroof from working properly. If you remove the broken pieces on which it’s catching that will probably be enough to restore it to working condition. A better fix is to remove all the plastic track liner. It is not necessary and the sunroof will both sit and operate perfectly without it. Removing it all is a slightly fiddly job because it will be very well attached in some places where it isn’t broken. I think i used an old dinner knife and a small hammer.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 14th, 2023, 22:23   #3
J liddy

Is the easiest way to remove plastic parts to remove the glass sunroof panel I've done this before only 4 bolts from memory
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 15th, 2023, 23:49   #4
Forrest
VOC Member

That depends where the bits are. If they are all still broadly attached to the track then it’s not really necessary. If they are jammed in the mechanism and stopping the sunroof from opening fully then it might be the only way. It may be only four bolts to remove the panel but it’s fiddly to undo them, even more fiddly to put them back and fiddly as hell to get the sunroof nice and level with the surrounding bodywork in its parked position again.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 16th, 2023, 07:52   #5
J liddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
That depends where the bits are. If they are all still broadly attached to the track then it’s not really necessary. If they are jammed in the mechanism and stopping the sunroof from opening fully then it might be the only way. It may be only four bolts to remove the panel but it’s fiddly to undo them, even more fiddly to put them back and fiddly as hell to get the sunroof nice and level with the surrounding bodywork in its parked position again.
Thanks forrest I've removed it before but a while ago .it was bit tricky to put back .my roof does seem to labour but it works in all positions. 1 have applied silicone grease to the edge of the seal it keeps it supple .I have applied WD40 to the long winding gear rod at the front .also a smear along the tracks too woud this all be OK!
J liddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J liddy For This Useful Post:

Tags
940, sunroof