Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear park assist service required

Views : 50850

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 19th, 2010, 10:21   #21
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCS XC90 View Post
I think the profile is slowly changing as the cars get older with more hand on people getting involved. .
Neil
I might add myself in that list too!

I only buy 3-5 year old cars and would never (other than the many company cars over the years) buy a new car with my own cash, so the XC has only receintly been within a price range I was prepaired to pay!

I do all my own maintenance, and have good knoweldge and experience of car electronics and engine management etc, but have zero experience on and Volvos other than the V40 - they seem to have eluded me over the years!

Back to the profile - I was looking around for written up guides for thinsg like the cam belt/kit change and am giobsmacked that there seem to be very, very few.... perhaps its time to change that!?!?!?

David

Last edited by BestGear; Aug 19th, 2010 at 10:27.
BestGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 07:09   #22
chb
Master Member

Best gear, seems like we are in a similar situation here, my first volvo was a V40. Bought in 2003 when it was 5 years old. Currently on 163,000 miles and going strong. The XC90 (2004 D5 automatic with all the toys!) was bought to replace it, but we decided to keep the V40 too as my wife has taken to it!!!
chb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20th, 2010, 07:50   #23
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb View Post
Best gear, seems like we are in a similar situation here, my first volvo was a V40. Bought in 2003 when it was 5 years old. Currently on 163,000 miles and going strong. The XC90 (2004 D5 automatic with all the toys!) was bought to replace it, but we decided to keep the V40 too as my wife has taken to it!!!
That does raise a smile... I bought the XC to replace a RAV4, but my better half wants to keep the RAV too!

We are still a 4 car family... with two drivers...

D
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 20:29   #24
BestGear
Master Member

Ok, next problem...

Diagnostics tell me that its sensor two that has failed, but fail to say which side is sensor 1.

Anyone know?!?!?

David
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 21:33   #25
NCS XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Ok, next problem...

Diagnostics tell me that its sensor two that has failed, but fail to say which side is sensor 1.

Anyone know?!?!?

David
Sensors are labeled 1 to 4 from left to right. So looking at bumper from the back of the car its the one second in from the left side. Clan confirmed this to me back when I had problems with the parking sensors.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NCS XC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 7th, 2010, 21:35   #26
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
Sensors are labeled 1 to 4 from left to right. So looking at bumper from the back of the car its the one second in from the left side. Clan confirmed this to me back when I had problems with the parking sensors.
Neil
Thanks great Neil... shame VIDA does not point that out when it finds the code!
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 16:21   #27
BestGear
Master Member

Quote:
I have also been considering getting one of these and will do so if and when I need one.

Neil
Hi Neil

I did end up with a DICE interface and VIDA - expensive way to find the duff reverse sensor but cheap in the long run given that I am very likley to need diagnostics going forward (and shut off these damn daytime running lights!).

Given that the XC is a modern designed vehicle the extent of diagnostics and configuration is excellent - and among the best I have seen. VIDA is not the most friendly package I may add... but at least that gets you access to all sorts or parks and servicing info too.

David
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 21:54   #28
NCS XC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestGear View Post
Hi Neil

I did end up with a DICE interface and VIDA

David
Hi David,
What did you get and were from (assuming I could get one from the same place). Does it allow you to download information (like front parking sensors) etc. Or is just for diagnostics (which lets face it is what it would get used for most of the time).
Too be honest I haven't really had much problems with mine but would still be interested in having the tools to diagnose and fix myself. It's a well built reliable car - engine slightly loader than some of the competition is all I can really complain about.
Neil
NCS XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2010, 23:13   #29
BestGear
Master Member

Hi Neil

I did consider a J2534 interface (as they are cheaper!), and they are supported by VIDA All-in-one since last year, but having done my research, it seems you can only use that interface for downloading software... and no diags!

I bought a DICE interface - which so far, has worked great... full dealer level diags and configuration - I will check if I can enable the front parking sensors - I expect you can to be honest as its just enabling the device option, not adding a new device... that si where it seems to get tricky.

Check your Pm...

David
The Following User Says Thank You to BestGear For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 15th, 2011, 18:57   #30
Britishfellow

Default Or you could try.....

I found this thread as I had the dreaded "Park Assist Service Required" message and dead sensors. I wasn't much looking forward to shelling out for someone to take the back bumper off and fix them, so I thought I'd try the fuse first. On my V70 this is located amongst the fuses in the left hand panel of the boot (No. 26 and it's a 5A one).

When I pulled it, it was fine so my heart sank. Nevertheless I gave it a rub, replaced it and then tried the ignition more in hope than expectation....

All was well!

So it's got to be worth a try before assuming the worst!

Cheers,

TR
Britishfellow is offline   Reply With Quote