Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

08 V70 Est MOT advisories Suspension questions

Views : 793

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 29th, 2020, 14:27   #1
Paul Bearer

Default 08 V70 Est MOT advisories Suspension questions

MOT is looming up and on the last one were some advisories

Just seeking advice on whether to do these myself or get a garage to do them

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Nearside Front (rearmost) [5.3.4 (a) (i)]

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside Rear (rearmost) [5.3.4 (a) (i)]

Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play Nearside Rear [5.3.4)a)(i)]

Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play Offside Rear [5.3.4)a)(i)]

Rear anti roll bar links appear to be easy enough

Unsure on the others, on the front suspension arm pin or bush are they talking of the lower wishbone rear bush?

On the rear are they referring to the rear replaceable bush? which requires a press from what I can see

I don't as yet have a manual to refer to until next week

Any advice gratefully received

2008 V70 D5 diesel est
Paul Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 15:43   #2
green van man
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bearer View Post
MOT is looming up and on the last one were some advisories

Just seeking advice on whether to do these myself or get a garage to do them

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Nearside Front (rearmost) [5.3.4 (a) (i)]

Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement Offside Rear (rearmost) [5.3.4 (a) (i)]

Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play Nearside Rear [5.3.4)a)(i)]

Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint has slight play Offside Rear [5.3.4)a)(i)]

Rear anti roll bar links appear to be easy enough

Unsure on the others, on the front suspension arm pin or bush are they talking of the lower wishbone rear bush?

On the rear are they referring to the rear replaceable bush? which requires a press from what I can see

I don't as yet have a manual to refer to until next week

Any advice gratefully received

2008 V70 D5 diesel est
Right, first one sounds like a wishbone bush. Wether the bushes are available or not don't know but new prebushed arms are and that's the easiest route. Factor parts are cheaper but will not last as long as volvo bits.

The rear trailing arms bush is a £300 job at the dealers.
Volvo bush is about £64 but you will need the press which is available on e bay for £150 ish.

Not needed to do the rear drop links but have done the front on mine, volvo want £36 each, I bought Febi Bilstien ones for £14 each and they have lasted 2 years too date.

Do it yourself or garage.
Well that depends how capable you are and what facilities you have. The front wishbone needs a special tool to get it off the strut, easy enough to make something that will do the job but ideally you need a welder or the 25x2.5 flat bar straightens as you apply pressure, you need to weld a loop so that the bar you are useing doesn't slip and you crush your knuckles on the floor.

The drop links you need to lift the car on the chassis then use a Jack under the suspension to remove and fit them. Again easy if you have supports for the car so you can free your jack up.

If doing it in a garage fine , if doing it on the drive how cold and wet are you prepared to get?

I have reached the age where I use technology to assist but even with industrial trolley jack, battery rattle guns and good waterproof clothing there are still jobs I put off till summer if possible or put into garage if needed now.

While I enjoy working on the land rover, working on the volvo is on a needs must basis, doable if needed but avoided if possible, it's just so crowded and potchy to do anything on it.

Paul.
green van man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2020, 16:29   #3
Paul Bearer

Many thanks for your reply

It does confirm what I thought

Of course, advisories are just that, so do they really need doing to get through the MOT? and then do them in the warmer summer months, (as I should have done last year ;-)

On the front wishbone, I watched a youtube video on changing one, no special tools there, although he used a ratchet strap to pull the wishbone down to refit the lower ball joint

I know what you mean re what we are prepared to do on the floor, and in my case outdoors, a tad cold and windy just now but it changes here in Cornwall very quickly, Thursday it was like a summers day today its like the Arctic

I may do the drop links and put it through to see if they are really needed, and do them if pushed

Appreciate your reply
Paul Bearer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 09:09   #4
Doors

Hi green van man,

I've just joined as I am about to buy V70 2.4 D5 SE estate and noticed on the MOT history a similar issue to the OP in this thread which you very usefully responded to. I am enquiring as it has been an advisory for the last 2 years, so I guess it should be done at some point when I get the car. It is however the front ones:

- Nearside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement rear bush (5.3.4 (a) (I))
- Offside Front Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (I))

Can I ask:

- are the fronts similar £ to the rears?
- was your estimate of £300 for both Nearside and Offside - or just one?

Looking forward to getting back into an old comfy Volvo estate.

Many thanks,
Doors.
Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 10:01   #5
Ian21401
Premier Member

Default Rear Trailing Arm Bushes.

I have seen that YouTube video ( by SirRobb I think ) using a ratchet strap to pull the suspension arm down. Makes sense if you are doing it yourself.
Re the rear trailing arm bushes. We had them replaced at the beginning of this year on my daughter’s 2011 XC70, which I suspect has the same suspension as your V70, whilst it was at the dealer for it’s annual service. The Volvo dealer explained it to me as follows, they have a special hydraulic tool which can be squeezed into the very restricted space to extract the old bush and insert the new bush without having to dismantle half of the rear suspension. ( I understand that the bushes differ slightly from one side to the other as one has an additional bracket on it). If you don’t have the Volvo tool it is necessary to dismantle quite a lot of the rear suspension then use the tool Green Van Man has mentioned. I would strongly advise that get your dealer to do it if you can afford it.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Sep 10th, 2022 at 10:49.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 10:48   #6
Jimsmith44
Former jasmith44

I had my S80 rear new bushes done last month at my local indy £150 + vat.See if there's an indy near you.
Jimsmith44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2022, 11:21   #7
100K+
Premier Member

Default rear bushes

This subject as been raised on several occasions in the past. It appears to be a common issue on these cars. They tend to squeak before they need replacing which initself makes replacement for some a necessary job. IIRC failure is the result of water ingress which causes corrosion and breaks the bond between the metal and rubber components. I also seem to recall volvo adding a "cover/some type of protection" to the bush as a modification to improve bush life.
I would suggest unless you are very good at juggling spanners you allow Volvo/indi to replace these bushes. I have read several threads/posts where the cost of the bush+ tool almost equals the cost of doing one side of the car, so by going down the paying for repair route, there is an argument you get both sides done for half price (so to speak) Added that the job is usually a PIA ( unless you have lift and you have done it more than once ) it adds to the argument to pay someone to do the repair.
Where all bets are off however, is where you are keeping the car LONG term and may in many years to come have to do this job again. In this instance the special removal/replace tool will already in in your tool box, and you have experience of how to go on.

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12th, 2022, 15:44   #8
monkeh
Pain in the backside

My tuppenth on the front lower arm -
No special tool is required.

Release the 3 bolts (plus nuts from rear of arm)
Disconnect steering joint,
Remove caliper, plus disc, hang caliper up.
Loosten but don't remove 13mm axle nut, tap axle free (for ease of movement of strut)
Release arm from body of car, along with pinch bolt on ball joint.
Turn strut/hub assy hard right.
Insert small chisel in pinch bolt gap and give a few hard taps.
Turn strut hard left, leaving arm hanging, hit arm downwards.
Ball joint should fall out of pinch bolt. If not, keep hitting.

Done this 3 times. Repeating it tomorrow to replace a torn ball joint boot on NEW arm. On a lifted XC, it is MUCH harder.

There is a how to on another volvo site, based my work on that.