Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

High Miles ex police xc70 - bad idea?

Views : 3672

Replies : 36

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 7th, 2022, 18:48   #11
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by yostumpy View Post
I would be quite confident on getting that, or even more, mpg in my 2016 220 bhp auto XC70 D5, providing the traffic wasn't gridlock most of the way, and mines euro 6.
I can get very close to that, 41-42 from my XC90 in those conditions.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 18:57   #12
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

These are encouraging tales regarding mpg, although the onboard computer tells me I'm getting mid to high 50's....

I guess the message is a standard one - buy on condition. Its encouraging that later cars seem not to have the same awd issues, that was a concern.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 19:21   #13
yostumpy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255199011...QAAOSwXAVhwYIN

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255267349...MAAOSw~ophsGHs
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 19:50   #14
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

I appreciate the 2nd one is a few years newer than mine, and looks like the twin turbo D5 compared to my 185, but it has two had a half times the mileage and costs over twice as much cash.
Old Jan 7th, 2022, 20:02   #15
Turbodave
VOC Member

I think it also comes down to what you want from the cars.

Some people out there spend days machine polishing their XC70 and fitting 19" diamond cut alloys and fastidiously hoovering the dog before it gets in... and others don't and are really just after something big, solid and that can be used as a tool. Which camp you're in or lean towards will influence your opinions on various examples of XC70s for sale.

I veer towards the latter so an ex Police XC70 that had been washed with a yard broom, I probably wouldn't care that much as I'd be lobbing bikes in it, the kids would try and kill the interior and my wife would use it to move things... it's a tool first and foremost but if it's a bit of bling you seek, ex Police is absolutely not the route to go down!

MPG wise, not sure what the car in question has engine wise but mine, a pretty abused 185bhp manual currently shows 38mpg and that's mostly running a round town, some open road runs and the odd motorway trip but it'll edge up towards 45mpg indicated on a steady run. I've no idea how accurate that is, I don't use the fill, clock, fill method as my first name isn't Sheik.

I also think with ex Police, people bang on about how they were treated or maintained and that's perhaps relevant if it's just come off fleet but if it's had a few years in the hands of a civilian then a) it's still running so evidently it must be ok and b) their care (or lack of) is more relevant than what the Police did with it back in 2015. See also the roasters that nit pick over a MOT advisory from 14 years ago. That's not relevant today, the current condition is.

I'd absolutely avoid a 4C equipped car... the standard chassis cars just seem to be much more compliant and capable of dealing with the local roads but if it's all fairly fresh stuff, they can be hustled along reasonably well whereas the 4C just never felt that comfortable with what was being asked of it.

But, opinions etc etc
Turbodave is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Turbodave For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2022, 07:58   #16
reggit
Premier Member

Mines not ex-plod and a V70.
Love the car, dead comfy and can be fairly hurled around if you feel the urge.

Euro 5 D5 twin turbo engine is nice but it does like a drink.

One thing to check when buying is the engine temperature, Volvo didn’t bother with a coolant temperature gauge on the first of the P3 models, and the thermostats are known to fail open with the obvious results. They’re a complete barsteward to change.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 14:04   #17
Puffster

I've had a 2011 ex-Police D5 Manual for the last 4 years. Got it about 146k and its now 190k. I previously had a 2004 XC70 which I drove to 230k before passing on.

My current one has had no major problems up until recently when it starts to loose power for a bit when cruising on the motorway but that's likely to be a sensor or similar. Front drive shaft replaced and another I think is going. A/C compressor needs the spring adjust thingy and the AWD doesn't work. I didn't know that until I put myself on a slight slope in a wet grassy field and tried to get out... However, in my opinion, the car hasn't lost anything in normal ability. It was very sure-footed in snow but then I always run M&S tyres.

The other thing that happened recently was rear springs broke, so easy/cheap enough replacement but the other day when putting new tyres on, noticed that one of the rear shocks was leaking and those are those lovely self-levelling ones, so that will be a cost. Interestingly, the similar shocks in my old XC70 went just after I sold it, so that maybe something to be aware of.

Condition wise, its tatty and worn inside, scratched & some small dents on the outside. I've replaced the centre console with the cubby/cup-holder, reconnected the radio speaker and purchased but not fitted a new gear-change mech as with the manuals that wears over time and mine is very floppy.

I didn't buy it as a show car but as a motorway muncher/load carrier. With the police "mods" it is actually a surprisingly fast and nimble car on As & Bs and s good cruiser on M'ways - long journeys are not tiring.

The biggest problem I've had is insurance. As its ex-Police, its not a "standard" car even though it came from the factory like that. You could just say it was an SE as per the log book but I have an aversion to be economical with the truth with insurers. I got a spec sheet from Volvo and told my (first) insurers, Churchill, who just added £26 to the bill - great! When I came to re-insure last year (having SORN'd for Covid), they refused to re-insure as their criteria has changed. It then came a bit of a challenge to find anyone that would at anything reasonable (Over 50, full NCB, 3 pts in a very safe postcode etc) but eventually found Tescos at a price I was prepared to pay, so can be done.

Anyway, that's my car, I think it was great vfm and am not worried about adding more miles to it. Things do wear but for what I paid & what its cost me in the last few years, its been totally reliable.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puffster For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 14:51   #18
Yosser
Gizza job - I can do that

Thanks for all the info folks, it's very useful & interesting.

I didn't buy the car in question, it sold whilst I was dithering. That's OK though, I don't need it, and I'm now better informed if something else should come along.

I do still fancy an xc70, even if I don't need one.....
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 16:52   #19
Tatsfield
Premier Member

Police vehicles are well maintained because they have to be reliable in usage. However, when they come to sell the cars, they lose interest in the vehicles and police fitted equipment is removed and wiring that was originally disturbed to fit stuff is rarely put back to normal, so you might need to tidy up an ex police vehicle as they are sold "as seen". I also suspect that the point at which the cars are considered best disposed off might well be before expensive parts are due to wear out regardless of regular maintenance and not much further use is foreseen because it is not worth risking the failures occurring by running the cars any further.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 20:09   #20
StaffsS60

I’d probably pass if I’m honest.
StaffsS60 is offline   Reply With Quote