Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restoring my P1800E

Views : 23892

Replies : 185

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2009, 21:30   #41
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Default Modern or traditional body shape???

Thanks Simon. I might take you up on your offer but it will be a while before I'm at the stage of getting the engine going again.

I'm still trying to decide if I go for a purely restoration to standard for the body or modernise the body shape. I quite like the model in the link below but I won't be able to go to that extreme but maybe something along those lines. What is the general consensus? Modern or traditional?

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/image...ik-topshot.jpg
Burdekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 15:12   #42
amazondean
amazondean

Wink

I say, go for the new look. Let us know how you get on!!
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 18:29   #43
scorpius666

Smile

Hi Mitch - If I were doing a restoration it would depend on how much rust were on the car before I started, if the car was fairly solid w/ little or no rust I would go with original , if the car on the other hand had alot of rust with many panels needing replacement I would do the modern look or make a custom concept style.

Anton
scorpius666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 19:59   #44
PaulWphoto
VOC Member

Hi Mitch

I think that you should consider updating the car without modding it too much.

I do not care much about keeping originality for the sake of it but I think that choosing a modern colour and a set of wheels that you like will make a big difference. I think that the shape of these cars does not need modification - they are beautiful already.

I'm working on small improvements to the interior including a small centre console which will house some of the audio system and I am thinking of redesigning the rear seat, making two slightly dished seats to maximise the very limited headroom in the back.

This is my car so far - in the picture its citroen poseidon blue although its currently in the paint shop being changed to MG trophy blue while I have the trim off for re-chroming. The wheels are 17" image GTD5 split rims.

I had the engine rebored, crank ground/balanced etc and to be honest I think I have enough power for the standard brakes/suspension as it stands.

In the future I will look to upgrade these and then take another look at the engine.

Best of luck

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005.jpg (310.3 KB, 67 views)
PaulWphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 20:38   #45
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I have a fair bit of rust to get rid of so I'm not going to be cutting up a P1800 in good condition. My only fear about going modern is making a mess of it as there are some very ordinary attempts at altering the P1800 on the net already. I'm pretty sure at this stage that I'm going to give it a go though and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so I'll need to make sure I'm happy with the finished look. I like the idea that I have the 3d model from the net to copy to a certain degree.

I've already bought all the engine mods, just waiting on the head to come from Sten Parner in Sweden. Originally I was hoping to get 200bhp from the engine which I've been told I should do but we'll wait and see when it is all built. Suspension and brakes will be modified as well later on in the build. Just doing some research into them at the moment so I'm busy reading up.

This weekend I'm going to make a start on the left door, hopefully if my hangover isn't too bad from my work Christmas party I should get a bit done. I've got a bottom repair door skin but there is also some rust to replace on the bottom of the door itself. My overall plan for the body work is to start on the door, floor and sills, rear wheel arch and front wing on each side and then it will be time to start on the body mods to the front and rear. Will keep posting pics of my efforts.

In the meantime if anyone has any good pics of modernised P1800's or some cool ideas please pass them on as at this stage I'm open for design ideas.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 21:46   #46
scorpius666

Smile

Mitch - A custom job seems the way to go , many of the car people out here that do that type of work all say the same thing; "just take your time and you will get a good result."

I was at a vintage car show this summer and a fellow had a an 1800E that had been very rusty and he recreated it into a custom clone of the concept car , it had the recessed rear , cow catcher front and rear bumpers , lots of chrome in the engine compartment & also on the motor , twin weber carbs , and a nice custom interior.....

I will see if I can locate a picture

Anton
scorpius666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 07:33   #47
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Thanks Anton that would be fantastic if you could get a pic.
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 20:15   #48
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

I made a start on my passenger side door this weekend. I was hoping to finish it this weekend but I really didn't do much on Saturday and as it's been about 15 years since I've done any metal work or welding I'm a bit slow and rusty.

I have a half door skin repair for the door to install.

First job was to dismantle everything off the door, no real problems here apart from screws that wouldn't budge so had to partly drill them to loosen.

After a close look I found there was more rust than I thought and not just on the bottom. There was some nasty rust on the inside edge under the door catch. This section was better in my parts car so I cut out the section required, and then cut and welded this in position in the door.

Next step was to make up some repair sections for the rusty bits along the bottom of the door. I did this after de-seaming the door but left it in place as a guide. The bottom corner was a bit fidgety with the curve. I cut out and welded in the newly made bits in place. I then cut out the section where the new half door skin repair will go. I then found a wee bit more rust I'll need to fix before welding the door skin in place.

That's all I achieved this weekend, next step is to fit the new section, grind all the welds smooth and then prime the inside of the door.

My welds aren't that flash but I can only get better...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_2608.jpg (117.4 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2609.jpg (126.1 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2624.jpg (162.4 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2620.jpg (193.5 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2621.jpg (204.2 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2605.jpg (196.2 KB, 61 views)
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 21:28   #49
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

If you feel like building a custom then I would say go for it. Just keep it simple cleaning the lines and you should be onto a winner.
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 18:48   #50
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Default Is it time to hand over to the professionals

I cut out the front passenger side floor on the weekend so I could fit the replacement and I also knew I'd have to replace the front outrigger but it also looks like the frame rail that goes from the rear outrigger to where the front suspension mounts should also be replaced. It may be the same case on the drivers side as well.

Now my main dilemma is whether I hand it over to the panel beater now as I was going to get a professional to do all the major bodywork mods or whether I get the repair section and carry on myself. I suppose I'll just have to give the panel beater a call to find out for sure but any suggestions would be appreciated...

I don't want the restoration to drag on for years, actually was hoping to get it back on the road by end of August so major work like this will take me a while which is my main concern.