Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Indie. Rolling Road Results

Views : 11379

Replies : 200

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 16:51   #121
hamish

Quote:
Originally Posted by adieu
Results from PE where 195, so as you can see it's a close match.
Iain,

Haven't you had a decat pipe fitted since your PE run ? Surely you were expecting an improvement in the power output.

IMHO I would have to say that a difference of 15 hp is not what I would call close.

Regards,
Hamish.

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 16:53   #122
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

I have been watching this thread with some interest as i was hoping to get down to sw autos to "prove" my volvotuning rica following some jovial enticement and provocation by at least two nameless members of the voc site....bobcat and chow...oops...however due to the fact my clutch is slipping under severe acceleration i had to pass but bobcat has said he will be around when i can get down there....
Why are we measuring whp when there is such a grey area between drag and transmission power losses...he says 40% he says 30% its all bollox....does anyone really know, or are we reliant on a computer whos perameters are set by the tuner....WHOEVER they are.....

why cant the results be measured direct from the crank or flywheel??

bobcat you are not doing yourself or sw any favours with your continual waffle and faliure to produce the goods as demanded by the forum members...you claim its for security and the copywrite of the members whos car you tested....why cant you give us a list of vehicles,type and graph that way everyone secures there anonimity. i appreciate it was a hot day and figures may be down but thats life im afraid...

bobcat pull you finger out man.....
cheers
jod
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:01   #123
bobcat
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5

why cant the results be measured direct from the crank or flywheel??

cheers
jod
because there is a gearbox in the way!! - doh

tell you what, you volunteer to come and take engines out of cars and we will get and engine dyno which TAT will be able to provide us software for.

Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk

Last edited by bobcat; Jul 26th, 2006 at 17:04.
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:01   #124
adieu
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish
Iain,

Haven't you had a decat pipe fitted since your PE run ? Surely you were expecting an improvement in the power output.

IMHO I would have to say that a difference of 15 hp is not what I would call close.

Regards,
Hamish.

As you and Adam have said in the past Air Temp Fuel quality etc etc can have a large effect on BHP produced. If my memory serves me right at PE it was a very cold morning around 10 degree's and i was using Optimax. This time round High 20's (think it hit 28 at one point) and poor fuel thanks to the wife filling it up at ASDA.

So as you/adam have said taking these facts into account it could be considered the lost is because of the above.

Hope this helps

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:29   #125
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jod t5
why cant you give us a list of vehicles,type and graph
Guys

Just to clear a few points up.

No one was taking an official list - someone was scribbling down the best power out of three runs observed on analogue gauges.

There IS NO LIST having owner, car and power - until the disclaimers with peoples details can be matched to the power outputs.

The dyno day was FREE and the aim of the day was just to get as many cars on the rollers - as to let everyone have a bit of fun.

hth

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:31   #126
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
the dials displayed whp.
By doing this, we can take drag out of the equation.

The equipment will be purely measured the force put out by the wheels.

Also, the dials were great at adding to the excitement factor with every crowded round !

Chris
3" SW Autos turbo back exhaust - Custom intake - S60R Green Injectors - TD04-19T turbo - MTE ECU remap - BSR Boost Gauge - Powerflex / QBM bushes - 19" Volvo Pegasus alloy wheels - Porsche 993 Turbo Big Red calipers - Volvo S60R front discs - AP Racing Pads - 2004 headlamps and indicators - Koni Yellow Suspension Kit
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:35   #127
SaffronC70
aka Whitey

My run on the day was (an observed) just over 200whp - my car isn't great at dyno days it seems.

This compares to 285bhp (crank) from Power Engineering and before then 280whp at VT with prior software.

Chris
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:43   #128
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat
because there is a gearbox in the way!! - doh

tell you what, you volunteer to come and take engines out of cars and we will get and engine dyno which TAT will be able to provide us software for.

lmao....
yes bobcat i appreciate the logistics of the positioning of the gearbox.....my enquiry was as to whether a crank or flywheel bhp figure could be obtained....
so it is possable but i have to remove engines for the pleasure of the reading??
iains figures were not maybe as he had hoped due to various circumstanes (asda petrol ..jeez!!) but at least he has put his money where his mouth is and said...how were your results bobcat??
cheers
jod
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:45   #129
adieu
Master Member

Default Maybe

WAYNET5ER

If your waiting for answers you might want to have a word with adam over some questions put to him in Oct 2005 that he didn't answer.roflmao.

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Old Jul 26th, 2006, 17:45   #130
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaffronC70

There IS NO LIST having owner, car and power - until the disclaimers with peoples details can be matched to the power outputs.
chris i specifically excluded owner from my list...
cheers
jod
Closed Thread