Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 827276

Replies : 6281

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Jan 26th, 2021, 16:52   #251
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... particularly for a car which has been for sale for at least 6 months, in the middle of winter and during a pandemic...
Most definitely, perhaps even lower than i suggested taking those factors into consideration.

I have by the way, corrected my original typo on the price, makes little difference overall but thought i'd mention it.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 05:51   #252
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I have just noticed this car: been standing outside for 15 year, difficult to move, rusty, lots of things won't work... but sort of genuine in that the same chap owned it for 30 years. I wonder why he parked it up 15 years ago - but that is probably another story:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-244...UAAOSwDlFgCgZR

... I'll keep an eye on it and report back with the sale price - my guess is £600.

:-)
That car sold for £560 - which I thought was about right for what it was. I doubt very much it is worth saving - but perhaps we'll hear about it as a source of spares?
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 07:47   #253
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

About right for a spares mule or extremely brave restoration! Big bottles of "Brave Pills" may be available by separate negotiation........................

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 06:08   #254
Othen
Premier Member

Default Saloon Prices

I like to keep an eye on 244 prices (just generally, I can't imagine the RB would ever be for sale in my lifetime). I saw this 1990 saloon for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Our-famil...53.m1438.l2649

... it looks like quite a nice car with only 2 owners. Currently bidding is at £1,550 with a day to go, but my guess is it will sell for £2,500. That would be a pretty healthy price for a 30 year old car with 220,000 miles.

Old Feb 10th, 2021, 12:11   #255
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I like to keep an eye on 244 prices (just generally, I can't imagine the RB would ever be for sale in my lifetime). I saw this 1990 saloon for sale:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Our-famil...53.m1438.l2649

... it looks like quite a nice car with only 2 owners. Currently bidding is at £1,550 with a day to go, but my guess is it will sell for £2,500. That would be a pretty healthy price for a 30 year old car with 220,000 miles.

Interesting! It's a Hampshire reg as well so is a local car. I'd certainly agree with your guess but maybe a bit more than £2500, maybe nearer £3k in the end. Would be surprised if it doesn't even get near to £2.5k though.

Old Feb 10th, 2021, 13:43   #256
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Interesting! It's a Hampshire reg as well so is a local car. I'd certainly agree with your guess but maybe a bit more than £2500, maybe nearer £3k in the end. Would be surprised if it doesn't even get near to £2.5k though.
I'm guessing you can tell the county from some code in the registration number Dave?

I notice there have been 24 bids from 16 different bidders Dave, so there is a fair bit of interest. I'd be very surprised if it didn't make near £2,500 as well. I'd say (without having seen the car of course) it is worth that, and as you say perhaps a bit more.

There is just one day left of the auction, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

Alan
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 13:58   #257
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm guessing you can tell the county from some code in the registration number Dave?

I notice there have been 24 bids from 16 different bidders Dave, so there is a fair bit of interest. I'd be very surprised if it didn't make near £2,500 as well. I'd say (without having seen the car of course) it is worth that, and as you say perhaps a bit more.

There is just one day left of the auction, so I'll keep an eye on this one.

Alan
That's right Alan, *OR was a Hampshire reg for all suffix and prefix registrations or as the DVLA call them "identifiers". Some others that come to mind are *HO, *AA, *OW, *TP, *RV and **RU and *FX although the last two at least might be considered to be dorset by some as technically they are Bournemouth.

The boundary between Hants & Dorset was always changing in years gone by, maybe still is but there were a few main dealers between Southampton and Bournemouth so although still in Hants at the time cars registered by those dealers might have a Bournemouth reg.

Since the new style plates of 2000 onwards, the area identifiers are at the start of the plate, then the year it was registered followed by three random letters. Just to add confusion, the identifiers are now different to what they once were!

Old Feb 10th, 2021, 14:31   #258
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
That's right Alan, *OR was a Hampshire reg for all suffix and prefix registrations or as the DVLA call them "identifiers". Some others that come to mind are *HO, *AA, *OW, *TP, *RV and **RU and *FX although the last two at least might be considered to be dorset by some as technically they are Bournemouth.

The boundary between Hants & Dorset was always changing in years gone by, maybe still is but there were a few main dealers between Southampton and Bournemouth so although still in Hants at the time cars registered by those dealers might have a Bournemouth reg.

Since the new style plates of 2000 onwards, the area identifiers are at the start of the plate, then the year it was registered followed by three random letters. Just to add confusion, the identifiers are now different to what they once were!
Ah ha! Many thanks for that, I've learned something new today :-)
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 15:57   #259
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah ha! Many thanks for that, I've learned something new today :-)
Took me a while to find it but this should link to a list of area identifiers for the contempory registrations of the time :

https://www.projectbobcat.com/guides...ea-identifiers

Scrolling through, "OR" comes up as a Portsmouth registration. Interesting reading if you feel inclined!

For comparison, the new style registration area identifiers :

https://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

No idea what the thinking was behind changing them, that's the Divvy-Laa-Laa for you as i heard someone call them once!

Old Feb 11th, 2021, 06:12   #260
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Took me a while to find it but this should link to a list of area identifiers for the contempory registrations of the time :

https://www.projectbobcat.com/guides...ea-identifiers

Scrolling through, "OR" comes up as a Portsmouth registration. Interesting reading if you feel inclined!

For comparison, the new style registration area identifiers :

https://www.newreg.co.uk/dvla-number-plate-identifiers/

No idea what the thinking was behind changing them, that's the Divvy-Laa-Laa for you as i heard someone call them once!
Isn't the internet a powerful tool Dave! It would have been almost impossible to discover that information prior to the web.

That white 240 saloon is standing at £1850 with 8 hours of the auction to go. I suppose bidding could either take off of fizzle out, I'll have a look at what happened this eve and report back.

Alan