Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 Rear Camera Wash Modification - finished!

Views : 2963

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2021, 17:53   #1
RussJ759

Default XC60 Rear Camera Wash Modification - finished!

Hi All,
The weather has turned (a bit) warmer so I thought I’d have a go at the rear camera wash mod on my XC60.

You’ll need:
Nylon trim removal tools
20 and 25 Torx screwdrivers
Stanley knife or scissors for the pipe
Zip ties
Washer jet – https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...72.m2749.l2649
Washer pipe and connectors - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200cm-Win...72.m2749.l2649
Tap (optional) - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-Micro...72.m2749.l2649
Loads of patience to thread the pipe!
Link to Volvo instructions for hatch trim removal - https://accessories.volvocars.com/en...XC60(18-)/2021

I followed the Volvo instructions as suggested by nu11eaf and so removal of the hatch trim panels was easy.
Once the panels were off, I could access the three retaining screws for the camera assembly.
First remove the two electrical connectors - one for camera and one for number plate lights.
Turn the screws anticlockwise about 2.5 turns which allows the whole lot to drop down a few mm and gives access to three plastic clips.
Gently unclip the ends and the whole assembly pivots down and comes out.
You’ll need to drill a 9mm hole for the washer jet - see photos for positioning.
Take care here as there is not much room and you need to position the jet so it can hit the camera lens.
I tapped into the rear screen wash, inserted a flow restrictor tap and threaded a pipe down the offside of the hatch and pulled it through, ran it across the tailgate and connected up to the washer jet.
You may need some very hot water or a lighter to soften the pipe end to get it over the washer jet connection.
Threading the pipe was a real pain and took an hour or more. I used a fairly stiff wire and started from the hinge end. You need to keep the wire against the glass to pass all the way through the hatch moulding.
I fished the wire out through a hole using a hook and then long nosed pliers to bend the wire and pull it through the hole. May well be easier to use a long zip tie as suggested by Volvo but I didn’t have one to hand.
I then attached the pipe and carefully pulled the wire back towards the hinge.
The new pipe was zip tied, not too tight, along its length to avoid rattles (my pet hate!) and I put some foam behind the tap for the same reason.
You now need to adjust flow rate and aiming for the jet. I used a pin in the jet ball to get it about right and then fiddled around to get the best combination of pressure and aim.

I’ve attached some photos to illustrate the method but its all pretty self explanatory.

Hope this is of interest and if anything isn’t clear please feel free to ask.

Russ
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1012927.JPG (248.8 KB, 304 views)
File Type: jpg P1012917.JPG (178.3 KB, 330 views)
File Type: jpg P1012928.JPG (148.0 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg P1012925.JPG (186.2 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg P1012921.JPG (196.4 KB, 261 views)
RussJ759 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 20:50   #2
Haldex
Premier Member

Nice work! Factory-like!

Glad to see people are starting to modify the SPA cars

XC40 B4 RD AWD
Haldex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2021, 20:56   #3
harcos1983

Really Nice Job
harcos1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 00:20   #4
Davebbass

I love jobs like this, and so tempted to do it with mine! Out of interest, should something go wrong with the camera or rear wiper, would Volvo use it as an excuse to not put it under warranty as it's been (still very well) modified?
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 07:27   #5
Lost Medic
Proud Volvo owner.

Brilliant work.
Lost Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 08:11   #6
RussJ759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davebbass View Post
I love jobs like this, and so tempted to do it with mine! Out of interest, should something go wrong with the camera or rear wiper, would Volvo use it as an excuse to not put it under warranty as it's been (still very well) modified?
If the camera failed I doubt they'd offer any warranty. But I'm prepared to take the risk.
Wiper should be OK as its not been touched.
Russ
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 12:27   #7
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Great job! Really impressive.

Just a question, what is the implication of not putting the flow restrictor tap in place? Are you worried it would steal too much water from the screen wash?
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 16:56   #8
RussJ759

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Great job! Really impressive.

Just a question, what is the implication of not putting the flow restrictor tap in place? Are you worried it would steal too much water from the screen wash?
There's quite a forceful spray from this jet which uses a lot of fluid so I thought it would be useful to be able to reduce it if full power was overkill. I've left the tap open fully at the moment to see how things go. Its easy to access the pipe to install a tap or adjust the flow - just prise off the upper hatch cover.

Two issues have arisen so far.
Firstly you can see a black line in the 360 surround view which is an image of the jet. Doesn't cause a problem though. I'll take a shot of the screen and post it.
Secondly, after completing a squirt any remaining fluid in the pipe leaks out overnight so next time you use it there is a delay while the pipe is refilling. This might actually be useful as you can clean the rear screen without blasting the lens.
Alternatively, I might try fitting a check valve in the pipe just before the jet which should stop the leakage.
Neither of these problems occurred in the SQ5 though. The camera wasn't a surround view, just rear only so was probably a narrower angle of view. The pipe to the camera wash was much shorter (15cm) as the supply was picked up from the rear wipe pivot, not from the top of the hatch as in the Volvo.
Still, you live and learn!
Russ
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RussJ759 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 28th, 2021, 23:56   #9
Bashy
Aged Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussJ759 View Post
There's quite a forceful spray from this jet which uses a lot of fluid so I thought it would be useful to be able to reduce it if full power was overkill. I've left the tap open fully at the moment to see how things go. Its easy to access the pipe to install a tap or adjust the flow - just prise off the upper hatch cover.

Two issues have arisen so far.
Firstly you can see a black line in the 360 surround view which is an image of the jet. Doesn't cause a problem though. I'll take a shot of the screen and post it.
Secondly, after completing a squirt any remaining fluid in the pipe leaks out overnight so next time you use it there is a delay while the pipe is refilling. This might actually be useful as you can clean the rear screen without blasting the lens.
Alternatively, I might try fitting a check valve in the pipe just before the jet which should stop the leakage.
Neither of these problems occurred in the SQ5 though. The camera wasn't a surround view, just rear only so was probably a narrower angle of view. The pipe to the camera wash was much shorter (15cm) as the supply was picked up from the rear wipe pivot, not from the top of the hatch as in the Volvo.
Still, you live and learn!
Russ
Ive bought the parts for me V70, thanks, do you have a link for the check valve, please, as i think i will add it all in one go to save faffing about
Old Jan 29th, 2021, 08:15   #10
RussJ759

I haven't got a link but try a search on eBay or Amazon for "screen wash check valve".
Or Halfords perhaps?
Russ
The Following User Says Thank You to RussJ759 For This Useful Post: