Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

142 Population Density UK

Views : 2284

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 10th, 2007, 17:00   #11
don kalmar union
Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebandit View Post
They made 142's in 1978?!

Sorry, my mistake PYM 348F.

Don.

MTE performance software , TME and Ferrita stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com
don kalmar union is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 17:25   #12
bertiebandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
Interesting how said expectation does not fit with my own... I regard 2 doors as a more desirable specification than 4, as it leads to a lighter, stronger and more rigid bodyshell and also looks better. I love my 164 but I can't help wishing they'd made a 162... and a 165.
I've seen 142's with 164 front ends grafted on- and they look fantastic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
Bertiebandit:

I am happy to bow to Jack's encyclopaedic knowledge of the 140 series cars. Clearly the 142 was officially imported to the UK. I was incorrect in my belief and appologize for the error.

Like you I do not recall seeing one on the road here, but I have seen a great many in use in Sweden - certainly upto about the mid-90s.

Pigeon:

I was not suggesting that 4 doors are in any way more desirable than 2, only that I believe cars in this market place were (and, indeed are) 'expected' to have 4 - high end coupes being an obvious exception.

Maybe that is why Volvo did not produce a 162 variant as it might have been perceived as too 'down market'. Also - again only my personal view - perhaps they did not produce a 165 variant because estate cars had a 'utility' connotation that again did not sit comfortably in this market sector at the time these cars were current. On the other hand, their reasons may have been of a technical nature and nothing at all to do with marketing policies.

Kind regards, John.
No need to be so formal with me John!

I have to agree with you about the perception of 4 door high end cars.
The idea was that the 2 door car would be a cheaper version, or a base model- whereas now the 2 door version of a car tends to be the high end version or a homologation version for racing.

I personally prefer the look of the 2 door.
bertiebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 17:25   #13
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
I was not suggesting that 4 doors are in any way more desirable than 2, only that I believe cars in this market place were (and, indeed are) 'expected' to have 4 - high end coupes being an obvious exception.
Sure, I was just commenting on how the expectations of the market do not fit with my own...

I nominate the Jaguar XJC as "star exception"
Quote:
Maybe that is why Volvo did not produce a 162 variant as it might have been perceived as too 'down market'. Also - again only my personal view - perhaps they did not produce a 165 variant because estate cars had a 'utility' connotation that again did not sit comfortably in this market sector at the time these cars were current. On the other hand, their reasons may have been of a technical nature and nothing at all to do with marketing policies.
It could be argued that there was some error of judgement there... there was sufficient demand for a 165 that some garage not a million miles from Liverpool whose name eludes me got the angle grinder and welder out and stuck 164 front ends on 145 tails. They produced several tens of these IIRC... if a garage producing specials could sell that many I'm sure Volvo would have sold a lot more. And certainly more than they sold P1900s

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 17:35   #14
bertiebandit

It has to be said that a 164 sans front bumper looks very nice indeed.
Old May 10th, 2007, 17:44   #15
Pigeon
Volvo-loving biker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertiebandit View Post
I've seen 142's with 164 front ends grafted on- and they look fantastic!
Oh ****...

They would, wouldn't they...

Be kind to pigeons
Pigeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 18:22   #16
bertiebandit

I've just sent an email to Volvo GCR requesting details of the car. If the stats on this site are to be believed then only 5190 were made!
Although there is a disclaimer on the site saying the 140 figures weren't always accurate.
Old May 10th, 2007, 18:59   #17
bertiebandit

Woot!

Just had a phone call from a fella in Preston who does 140 and 240 parts and he's found me a bootlid! £45! Bargain!
Old May 10th, 2007, 23:25   #18
222s
Amazoniste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigeon View Post
Oh ****...

They would, wouldn't they...

Very nice! I've been thinking about 162s recently as well!!!

BTW, what's GCR?

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 23:42   #19
bertiebandit

Global Customer Relations. I spotted it in another thread so used the email address to send a request for specific information to the car and UK 142 information in general. If I get any of the latter I'll pass it on to the club so it benefits all interested members.

gcr@volvocars.com if you ever need it.
Old May 12th, 2007, 17:58   #20
Audrey Old
VOC Member

Default Volvo 142

If I can get the hang of attaching photos here, you will see a pic of the 142 I bought from the widow of a friend. It was entirely original except that some little s*ds nicked the mirrors and wing badges whilst it was in the garden waiting for me to take it away after the funeral. Mirrors replaced, but correct badges never found.

It had incredibly low mileage (about 40k) and after a service and new core plugs went very well with its twin carbs and big-valve head. A real eye-turner, but as I fundamentally don't like 2-door cars I sold it two years ago to someone in the Worcester area.

From what I heard a few months ago its still going strong.

Paul
Audrey Old is offline   Reply With Quote