Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > V40/XC '12>17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 USB Port - power but not seeing music

Views : 1939

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 11th, 2019, 18:11   #1
aliferste

Default V40 USB Port - power but not seeing music

Hiya - I have had my V40 for just a couple of months, it is three years old.

When I first got it I put some music on an usb stick and it played them all fine. I took it out the other day and added some more music however now it does not see anything on the stick - it just says the default USB message on the screen.
I reformatted the disk and just added a few tracks in case it was not happy with the amount and it still says the same thing - it just does not see the stick.

There is still power going through the port as when I plug in my phone it charges it however it will not see any of the music on my phone either.

A few days out of my two month warranty as well so taking it back is not an option.

Any advice?
aliferste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 18:34   #2
steadvex
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliferste View Post
Hiya - I have had my V40 for just a couple of months, it is three years old.

When I first got it I put some music on an usb stick and it played them all fine. I took it out the other day and added some more music however now it does not see anything on the stick - it just says the default USB message on the screen.
I reformatted the disk and just added a few tracks in case it was not happy with the amount and it still says the same thing - it just does not see the stick.

There is still power going through the port as when I plug in my phone it charges it however it will not see any of the music on my phone either.

A few days out of my two month warranty as well so taking it back is not an option.

Any advice?
have you tried a different USB stick? For some reason some usb drives that worked when I first had mine the car will no longer read, no idea why, they can be quite fussy, I have to force a format in fat32 on the64gb stick I have as it won't read it as exfat.

to test I normally format the drive put a single track on and see if it plays it, that way it rules out the drive, usually...
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 21:49   #3
Darkshadow13
Dan

Hi

Either A you are not using the correct Codec or B there is indeed an issue on the Device.

Its possible you may have a defective disk but sounding of this it does not read Data from your phone sounds like you may have a faulty device or a setting out.

I Would start by downloading the manual on link:

https://carmanuals2.com/get/volvo-v4...-manual-111633

I would be possibly aiming at returning back to factory settings also, the manual above should be able to assist with that this will erase any settings on your device but if in doubt it may be a good idea.

I am sure theirs a section there which implies certain Codec `s it will only listen too.
Darkshadow13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11th, 2019, 21:57   #4
aliferste

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadvex View Post
have you tried a different USB stick? For some reason some usb drives that worked when I first had mine the car will no longer read, no idea why, they can be quite fussy, I have to force a format in fat32 on the64gb stick I have as it won't read it as exfat.

to test I normally format the drive put a single track on and see if it plays it, that way it rules out the drive, usually...
You are a legend - that sorted it!

I was using a 64gb disk that came Fat32 and after I formatted it on windows 10 it became exfat!

All solved!
aliferste is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aliferste For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 18:01   #5
e123

I know you have the answer to your problem, but for anyone else.... I sometimes find my usb won't read, particularly if I have left it in the car overnight. I have to hold it in my hand for a couple of minutes for it to warm up, then it's okay.
e123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8th, 2019, 14:02   #6
dusty0041

Default usb format

The V40 would accept a FAT32 usb, but the new Volvos, mine is a XC40 won't accept a standard format, you need format FAT32 master boot record, pretty easy on a Mac in Disk Utility, don't know about Windows
dusty0041 is offline   Reply With Quote