Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244

Views : 2026507

Replies : 4092

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 15th, 2020, 10:38   #1461
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks - that is an enormously kind offer. The B21 doesn't have any slots in the crank pulley - just those 6 or 8 (I forget) M10 bolts. The idea of welding a 22mm socket to a steel bar and attaching it to a convenient bolt (maybe the PAS) is an excellent one. I'll fashion something like that between now and October.

Alan

PS. What would be handy is a photo of the B230 tool so I can get a rough idea.
The PAS belt could slip Alan so the PAS pump pulley nut probably isn't a good idea.

Can i ask why you envisage having to lock the engine in 4 different positions? Seems i've missed something somewhere?

Quote:
Good morn Clifford,

May I ask what you used to grind down the shims that were slightly too big? I have 3 spares from when I fitted the cam to the new head (4.15, 4.05 and 4.00) - I'm thinking that one or two of the shims are already less than those, so at some time in the future I might need some slimmer shims as the valve seats wear. I'm thinking a paste board with some emery paper glued flat to it might do the job?

Alan
The shims are case hardened Alan. If you accidentally grind through this, you'll leave the soft metal of the shim exposed and it can "bell" out leaving the shim stuck in the bucket with an over-large valve clearance. Worst case scenario you have to have the shim machined out of the bucket.

Cheaper in the long run to just buy the correct shims.

Also using any hand lapping arrangement is likely to leave it not quite as flat/parallel as it needs to be.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 11:06   #1462
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
The PAS belt could slip Alan so the PAS pump pulley nut probably isn't a good idea.

Can i ask why you envisage having to lock the engine in 4 different positions? Seems i've missed something somewhere?

The shims are case hardened Alan. If you accidentally grind through this, you'll leave the soft metal of the shim exposed and it can "bell" out leaving the shim stuck in the bucket with an over-large valve clearance. Worst case scenario you have to have the shim machined out of the bucket.

Cheaper in the long run to just buy the correct shims.

Also using any hand lapping arrangement is likely to leave it not quite as flat/parallel as it needs to be.
Hi Dave,

Maybe not the PAS fulcrum then, but any nearby bolt hole would do, I'll have a look around and see what is convenient.

Why 4 positions: the leak down tester has to be at or around TDC for each cylinder so the valves are closed (otherwise the air will keep escaping) - the actual position isn't all that critical, as long as it is after the inlet valve has closed on the compression stroke and before the exhaust opens at the bottom of the power stroke. So, 4 positions on the camshaft about 90 degrees apart (180 degrees at the crank).

I've never used a leak down tester, but it looks like a really clever piece of kit for diagnosing any manner of mechanical issues with engines. I'm intrigued to see it working.

Good point about the case hardening Dave - that is one of the reasons I asked Clifford's advice.

I keep a spreadsheet record of the shims fitted to the valves and any changes, so all I need to do is measure the gaps and I can easily work out what thickness shim I need without having to remove it. I can then order the correct one (Knight Engine Services in Northampton are very helpful) and with the special tool I'm going to make - pop it in.

Last edited by Othen; Jul 15th, 2020 at 11:08. Reason: Correction.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 12:37   #1463
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Hi Dave,

Maybe not the PAS fulcrum then, but any nearby bolt hole would do, I'll have a look around and see what is convenient.

Why 4 positions: the leak down tester has to be at or around TDC for each cylinder so the valves are closed (otherwise the air will keep escaping) - the actual position isn't all that critical, as long as it is after the inlet valve has closed on the compression stroke and before the exhaust opens at the bottom of the power stroke. So, 4 positions on the camshaft about 90 degrees apart (180 degrees at the crank).

I've never used a leak down tester, but it looks like a really clever piece of kit for diagnosing any manner of mechanical issues with engines. I'm intrigued to see it working.

Good point about the case hardening Dave - that is one of the reasons I asked Clifford's advice.

I keep a spreadsheet record of the shims fitted to the valves and any changes, so all I need to do is measure the gaps and I can easily work out what thickness shim I need without having to remove it. I can then order the correct one (Knight Engine Services in Northampton are very helpful) and with the special tool I'm going to make - pop it in.
You only need to be able to lock the crank in one of two positions Alan, TDC and BDC. The first (TDC) will be ignition stroke firstly on #1 cylinder and next time it comes round, #4 cylinder.

On BDC (180 deg past TDC) it will be #3 on the first visit and #2 on the second visit.

This is stated on the following assumption : firing order is 1-3-4-2 and you set the first TDC point with the rotor arm point at #1 segment in the distributor.

Remember it's a 4 stroke engine and each stroke is 1/2 revolution of the crankshaft so cylinder #1 will only fire once every 2 revolutions, as will they all just fire ocne every 2 revolutions.

Another point to consider is that using a socket on a crank pulley bolt or similar is likely to undo the bolt while performing a leak-down test. The compressed air is going to try and force the piston down the bore and if the piston is slightly after TDC it will turn the engine in the normal direction, clockwise as viewed from the front. The crank pulley bolt is tightened in the same direction and any resistance offered to the bolt by wedging a breaker bar against the floor is going to offer a counter clockwise force. You see where i'm going with this one.

Granted the forces involved may not be enough to shift some bolts but if memory serves, the smaller bolts on the 240 crank pulley are smaller and have a lower torque setting.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 16:30   #1464
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

The older method:~ A sheet of flat glass- fine grinding paste (used for valves) lubricate with oil—get the muscles working & keep measuring. A disk or small item can be part sunken into a piece of wood if you find it easier.
Bob
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 17:09   #1465
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
so all I need to do is measure the gaps and I can easily work out what thickness shim I need without having to remove it.
How do you do that? Surely you need to be able to measure the gap with no shim first, in order to work out what thickness shim you need? Or measure the thickness of the existing shim and add/subtract to order the correct one?

I don't see how just knowing gap is 18 thou when it should be 16 thou tells you what size to order, or am I being thick? (pun)

I didn't grind down the face that the cam rubbed on - obviously the underface doesn't need case hardening because there is no wear at that face, and the load is spread over a large area.
I held the shim in a piece of wood with a slight circular depression, and rubbed with grinding paste on a sheet of glass.

Obviously it's only feasible for a tiny reduction in thickness. Also by swapping them around you can often reduce the number that need adjusting at all.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 17:19   #1466
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post
How do you do that? Surely you need to be able to measure the gap with no shim first, in order to work out what thickness shim you need? Or measure the thickness of the existing shim and add/subtract to order the correct one?

I don't see how just knowing gap is 18 thou when it should be 16 thou tells you what size to order, or am I being thick? (pun)
Alan has created a spreadsheet and recorded the shim sizes of each valve so he can just measure in future, check his spreadsheet and work it out from there. At least that's what i think he means!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 18:29   #1467
loki_the_glt
Torquemeister

Quote:
Many thanks - that is an enormously kind offer. The B21 doesn't have any slots in the crank pulley - just those 6 or 8 (I forget) M10 bolts. The idea of welding a 22mm socket to a steel bar and attaching it to a convenient bolt (maybe the PAS) is an excellent one. I'll fashion something like that between now and October.

Alan

PS. What would be handy is a photo of the B230 tool so I can get a rough idea.
I'll get you one with the various dimensions in the next few days - just as soon as I can locate a ruler and some suitable background material.

loki_the_glt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki_the_glt For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 19:12   #1468
Clifford Pope
Not an expert but ...

Quote:
Alan has created a spreadsheet and recorded the shim sizes of each valve so he can just measure in future, check his spreadsheet and work it out from there. At least that's what i think he means!

Sorry, I still don't get it. How does knowing the gap tell you what size shim you need to close up the gap to say 16 thou?
You need to be able to measure the thickness x of the present shim, and then order x + 16 - 18 = ?
or else be able to measure the total gap with no shim y and then order y -16 = ?.
Clifford Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford Pope For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 19:46   #1469
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
You only need to be able to lock the crank in one of two positions Alan, TDC and BDC. The first (TDC) will be ignition stroke firstly on #1 cylinder and next time it comes round, #4 cylinder.

On BDC (180 deg past TDC) it will be #3 on the first visit and #2 on the second visit.

This is stated on the following assumption : firing order is 1-3-4-2 and you set the first TDC point with the rotor arm point at #1 segment in the distributor.

Remember it's a 4 stroke engine and each stroke is 1/2 revolution of the crankshaft so cylinder #1 will only fire once every 2 revolutions, as will they all just fire ocne every 2 revolutions.

Another point to consider is that using a socket on a crank pulley bolt or similar is likely to undo the bolt while performing a leak-down test. The compressed air is going to try and force the piston down the bore and if the piston is slightly after TDC it will turn the engine in the normal direction, clockwise as viewed from the front. The crank pulley bolt is tightened in the same direction and any resistance offered to the bolt by wedging a breaker bar against the floor is going to offer a counter clockwise force. You see where i'm going with this one.

Granted the forces involved may not be enough to shift some bolts but if memory serves, the smaller bolts on the 240 crank pulley are smaller and have a lower torque setting.
I think we only have a semantic difference here Dave. As I said above, 4 different positions on the camshaft at about 90 degree intervals - the two pairs (1/4 and 2/3) will look the same at the crank of course. However one looks at it, the engine has to be fixed at 4 different positions on the camshaft.

I think the best way of running the leak down test will be with the cam cover off so I can see where each pair of valves are and work out TDC from there, also if there are any leakage issues it will become obvious if they are due to rings. If an exhaust valve is leaking I’ll be able to hear it out of the exhaust, and similarly at the inlet manifold if an inlet valve is leaking.

I’m not sure about the leak down test being powerful enough to undo the crank bolt - torque produced by the pressure will be roughly proportional to the sine of the crank angle, so within a few degrees of TDC the torque at the crank bolt will be very small. If it was a problem (and I don’t think it will be, the geometry is too much against it) then a way round it would be to run the test at just before TDC, so the torque would tend to tighten rather than loosen the crank bolt.

I’m quite looking forward to using the leak down instrument, and I don’t think it is going to be all that difficult once I’ve manufactured a tool to lock the crank. I’m not sure I’ll have to use all that much pressure, I should think 50 PSI will be sufficient to identify any leaks - the air molecules are pretty small critters :-)

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 15th, 2020 at 20:53.
Old Jul 15th, 2020, 19:58   #1470
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Pope View Post

I didn't grind down the face that the cam rubbed on - obviously the underface doesn't need case hardening because there is no wear at that face, and the load is spread over a large area.
I held the shim in a piece of wood with a slight circular depression, and rubbed with grinding paste on a sheet of glass.

Obviously it's only feasible for a tiny reduction in thickness. Also by swapping them around you can often reduce the number that need adjusting at all.
Hi Clifford,

I thought I’d mentioned above that when I fitted the cam to the head I measured all the shims and have recorded them on a spreadsheet. If I forgot to mention that then please do accept my apology (I forget so much these days). So, all I have to do is measure each of the 8 clearances and type them into my spreadsheet, which will then work out the shim required.

Perhaps I didn’t explain that well above?

Many thanks for the advice about grinding the shims, I think Bob had suggested a similar method previously. I managed to swap round 5 of the shims to bring their valves within tolerance when when I fitted the cam to the remanufactured head, but had to acquire 3 thinner ones where I couldn’t make the maths work out (hence me having 3 spares in my box of bits never to be thrown away.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jul 15th, 2020 at 20:05.
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: