Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Map Update problem

Views : 34002

Replies : 163

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 3rd, 2018, 21:22   #21
Mick787

Thank you for the reply 1monkey600. What I think this does highlight is that the Volvo web site for map updates needs to be improved. Pointless putting incorrect information on it for those who do use Macs.
Mick787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2018, 23:15   #22
BoJoUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
What I think this does highlight is that the Volvo web site for map updates needs to be improved.
I have just downloaded the new maps and when I ran the Volvo Sensus map updated programme, I got a warning telling me that it is 32bit and will no longer work after the next release of macOS. It reports that all programmes will need to be in 64bit.
Old May 4th, 2018, 07:44   #23
Mick787

Thank you for that BoJoUK, I have no idea what it means re 32 or 64 bit. What has just rung bells is that I have started to use a new Mac and the last time I did a download I used the old one (which I still have and haven't updated). I think I will have to try and do the download on that old machine.
Old May 4th, 2018, 08:45   #24
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick787 View Post
Thank you for that BoJoUK, I have no idea what it means re 32 or 64 bit. What has just rung bells is that I have started to use a new Mac and the last time I did a download I used the old one (which I still have and haven't updated). I think I will have to try and do the download on that old machine.
What Mac's are you using? Do you download to the Mac or USB? 32 or 64 bit refers to the processor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoJoUK View Post
I have just downloaded the new maps and when I ran the Volvo Sensus map updated programme, I got a warning telling me that it is 32bit and will no longer work after the next release of macOS. It reports that all programmes will need to be in 64bit.
Just downloaded the latest update and didn't get that message, strange!. Hopefully the software developers will have sorted that by the time the next update comes out. Using macOS High Sierra v.10.13.4
Ive not tried to load it onto Sensus yet. I'll try later and see how it goes.
MikeGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2018, 15:05   #25
MikeGMT
VOC Member

just loaded the new update to Sensus and no problems, in fact no sooner had I put the USB in the port it popped up on the screen before I could do anything else advising that the download was in progress.
Old May 4th, 2018, 17:26   #26
Mick787

Hi MikeGMT, I am using a MacBook Pro on the same OS as yourself. Downloading straight to the USB. I can see that the USB stick has software on it so I will try it again in the car and see what happens. I've done nothing different to what I did on the first occasion.
Sadly no call back from Volvo UK despite their assurance someone would call or send an e mail today. My old MacBook which is running on El Capitan offers no different methods to format the USB stick when erasing the stick as per Volvo's instructions.
Old May 4th, 2018, 20:11   #27
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Hmmm, I've always downloaded to the hard drive rather than the usb, but I can't really see that making a difference. Yeah try it again Mick and if it's still not playing ball maybe delete all the files off the usb then make sure to empty the trash first and then reload the update to your usb.
Old May 4th, 2018, 22:10   #28
Voltan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGMT View Post
What Mac's are you using? Do you download to the Mac or USB? 32 or 64 bit refers to the processor.
Just downloaded the latest update and didn't get that message, strange!. Hopefully the software developers will have sorted that by the time the next update comes out. Using macOS High Sierra v.10.13.4
Ive not tried to load it onto Sensus yet. I'll try later and see how it goes.
I dowloaded the Sensus map update to a folder on my MacBook Pro using macOS High Sierra v.10.13.4. A notification appeared stating that the Volvo downloader is not optimised for the Mac but you can dismiss this and proceed as normal. The download took about 6 hours at a rate of about 1Mb/s.

I then transferred the contents of the folder (not the folder) to an empty 32GB memory stick which previously had been formatted in Disk Utility to MS_DOS(FAT) as I had used it to transfer music to the HDD of my V40.
I inserted the memory stick in the car and the installation proceeded without any problem other than the predicted installation time was 3 hours. It has now got 1 hour 55 minutes to go.

Likewise I had no problems installing the maps for our V40 Sensus Connect, using MacOS High Sierra.
Old May 9th, 2018, 17:01   #29
Mick787

Update, after waiting a week for Volvo UK tech support to call back I gave in and rang their UK customer service dept' again. Obviously I had retained the details of my last call so I could enable them to identify their shortfall(s) in the promised service.
Nothing achieved today other than they have created a case for their IT dept who will try and find someone with a Mac who can follow through what their web site says with a view to making any amendments.
I still haven't been able to do the update from 31676528 to 31676577. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with their software; its probably me, but I'd just like to know what I'm doing wrong, if anything. I can see the numerous files on the USB stick after downloading to an empty stick, whether everything is there is another matter. I've tried formatting the stick to different formats and nothing seems to be working, the car's satnav is just not reacting to the USB when its in place. Never mind, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of it.... eventually.
Old May 9th, 2018, 19:01   #30
TimS

I know it's for an older car system than yours, but I used my Mac (OS X High Sierra) to update the maps on my 2013 V70 last week, so (apart from the 32-bit S/W warning, which you can ignore), the Mac process works. In my case I had trouble because I was downloading the wrong maps: my 2013 car needs the 2010-system software, not the 2013 software.

Using Apple's Disk Utility, you can definitely format FAT32, although Apple probably just call it FAT.
TimS is offline   Reply With Quote