Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 exhaust

Views : 1381

Replies : 29

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2018, 14:19   #11
ovlov236

Smile

I Think They Are Having A Laugh Get some other quotes
ovlov236 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ovlov236 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:32   #12
Forrest
VOC Member

I bought a complete Volvo system, including cat, from Rufe for £750 four years ago. Part numbers as follows.

31392962 Exhaust system
31372144 Mounting kit
08602955 Catalytic converter
09146796 Front pipe
01306852 Sealing ring
00947624 Gasket

The Volvo cat was pricey at a shade over £400 but it gives you idea what OEM should cost for the rest.

That first part number, which is for the main cat-back system is usually readily available OEM from eBay sellers in Germany for about €150. My most recent purchase being March this year. You’ll need the fitting kit as well.

My preference is to pay a competent garage to install the exhaust. I haven’t used a fast-fit centre in years. There is plenty of potential to fit a Volvo exhaust badly, especially if you’re replacing the front pipe. There is a tricky but important mounting strap that will probably be beyond a sh*t fit fitter’s ability to reinstate.
Forrest is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Forrest For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 20:57   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
There is plenty of potential to fit a Volvo exhaust badly, especially if you’re replacing the front pipe. There is a tricky but important mounting strap that will probably be beyond a sh*t fit fitter’s ability to reinstate.
I can confirm it is well beyond their capabilities! I had a new system fitted at Fik-Wit because they were selling them complete, fitted for £90 (this was 15 years ish ago) which was cheaper than the middle and back box i needed.
No cat or anything else but i had to take it back the next day (round trip of 60 miles) because they'd messed up that bracket and it was not just rattling but making the whole car vibrate for some reason!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 21:07   #14
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I can confirm it is well beyond their capabilities! I had a new system fitted at Fik-Wit because they were selling them complete, fitted for £90 (this was 15 years ish ago) which was cheaper than the middle and back box i needed.
No cat or anything else but i had to take it back the next day (round trip of 60 miles) because they'd messed up that bracket and it was not just rattling but making the whole car vibrate for some reason!
Many years ago when i had a 528i ( apologies but it was 1989 ) i had a full system fitted by thick twit and after seven trips back for blow after blow and umpteen rattles i demanded my money back and got the BMW one fitted. No problems with that whatsoever. Quite funny as they had to come and take their old system away from the BMW dealer
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 22:07   #15
TonyS9
Premier Member

You can get a full custom built stainless system for £600
TonyS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyS9 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 28th, 2018, 22:21   #16
classicswede
Trader Volvo in my veins

You can have a full 3 inch system and still have some change!
classicswede is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to classicswede For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 10:20   #17
Rversteeg
Master Member

Default Continent prices

Prices from one of the suppliers here on the continent are about £160 for the downpipe, £225 for the cat and £210 for the rest of the system. All original Volvo parts, except for the cat. Non original Volvo parts will probably be cheaper, but personally I stay away from Bosal and Walker aftermarket stuff.

This is an image of the three section repair flange if the flange on your current downpipe is rusty. You might even need a second for the cat side as well.

I'd say come and get it while you are still in the EU...
Rversteeg is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rversteeg For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 11:01   #18
Jimsiss

My brother works for a shop that supplies car parts and my Volvo (when my dad had it) had many replacement back boxes, luckily he got them cheaply. They always rot out as the water in the exhaust gathers in the boxes and joints as it cools towards the back.

Stainless is the best option in my opinion, most places have a lifetime guarantee on their systems too but don’t supply Cats. I built my own 3” Turbo back system in stainless for around £300-350 but the Cat was extra (came from Demon Tweeks, not too bad for the price, I chose the 200 cell sports Cat). I used 3” all the way and used a similar sized mid box and much larger back box. The sound is very quiet, far quieter than any 3” system I’ve ever heard, not too different to a standard system.

Make sure you choose somewhere that does welded boxes and 304 stainless (ideally British sourced as the Chinese stuff rots out). The crimped boxes don’t last as well as welded ones. Never get any exhaust made from 400 series stainless, it’ll rust as it doesn’t have the higher stainless materials in it as 300 series hence it being cheaper.

Last edited by Jimsiss; Nov 29th, 2018 at 11:06.
Jimsiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimsiss For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 11:27   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimsiss View Post
My brother works for a shop that supplies car parts and my Volvo (when my dad had it) had many replacement back boxes, luckily he got them cheaply. They always rot out as the water in the exhaust gathers in the boxes and joints as it cools towards the back.
What a lot of people do is drill a small (3-4mm) hole in the lowest point of the back box so the condensate can drain out harmlessly. Apparently this works well but i've never tried it myself.

Stainless is a good option though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29th, 2018, 11:35   #20
Stephen Edwin
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rversteeg View Post

I'd say come and get it while you are still in the EU...

Why?

Well. Why would the remaining member nations want to stop selling, or want to lose sales by charging more?

P.S. That's a helpful picture thank you.

Stephen Edwin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Edwin For This Useful Post: