Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Manual or GearTronics D5 V70 for towing?

Views : 2374

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2011, 23:40   #1
nigelb

Default Manual or GearTronics D5 V70 for towing?

Hi

Currently have an S plate V70 (Audi 2.5l 5 cylinder engine) which drives fine and tows nicely, but am fortunate in being able to replace with new.

Currently get 44-48mpg (31mpg towing on a decent motorway run at 55-60mph).

I'm not after a "boy racer" (why buy an estate if you want to roar round country lanes?) but do get a move on when on decent roads.

I tend to drive sympathetically to the car, road and conditions, hence getting decent mpg (its got 251k on the clock ...).

I've now had a test drive in a manual, and in a Geartronics, and I'm in a right state. I didn't find the 6 speed box the easiest and I found the auto a delight to drive (before the test drive I was a confirmed "anti auto" driver).

I probably do ~ 2000 miles towing a year, plus prob ~6000 miles not towing, so mpg is important to me.

My fear is that the auto consumption may be significantly worse - reading round the forums here (and elsewhere) people seem to be getting all sorts of results.

I know there are no hard and fast answers, but if anyone has comparable info for auto and manual they could share I'd be very interested. A 20 mile test drive on the 6 speed manual only gave ~36 mpg (didn't go above 60) which sounds dire, then wondering if the auto will be even worse!

HELP!!

Nige
nigelb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2011, 23:56   #2
SonyVaio
VOC Member

My current V50 is a Geartronic and like you prior to getting it I was definitely more of a manual man. Got to say though I think I'm converted.

I don't tow with the V50 but my mother has a D5 XC70 which is manual and that does tow - very well indeed. The D5 is a great engine as a workhorse and you should find it a delight in either format (manual or auto). It really comes down to personal preference really but if you enjoyed the auto so much on the test drive then I'd say go for it.

Either way you won't be disappointed I'm sure. If you do get the auto and tow like you say then just remember that Volvo suggest that you change the ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) every 2 years. If your working out any servicing costs you may want to factor that in too (bit more expensive than normal gearbox).

SonyVaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 00:22   #3
nigelb

Oh, two other things that astounded me.

Why have they switched to an electronic handbrake?
I would much rather have a manual one than a snazzy drinks holder!

And what on earth were they thinking of when they decided to do away with the spare tyre ...
A thin spare is bad enough, means you can't tow and have very limited mileage - you _have_ to get the puncture sorted now. No spare but a pump and some gunk to do a temp fix is absolutely ridiculous. I'll be buying a proper 5th wheel (which apparently will cost ~500 sodding pounds) and taking the "toys" out of under the loading area, and putting the spare and a jack in.

If I wasn't so happy and comfortable driving Volvo's, the above would have sent me off in other directions for sure!

Nige
The Following User Says Thank You to nigelb For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 10:00   #4
Chaddie
Ex Serial Volvo Buyer

Have to agree with you on both points....

The Electronic Handbrake I've never fully liked, even tho it's been on my last few cars, I think it's more the position of the switch more than anything else, but give me a proper handbrake any day.

The spare wheel shouldn't cost you £500, I bought one for an old V70 and cost half that with the tyre, think of it as a haggling point. When I picked up my new car last week, I switch the space saver wheel from my old car to the new one since they won't even supply a space saver now.

If you re thinking of buying a full sized wheel, make sure it will fit in the spec before buying it, I've heard that it may not......

As for towing, both gearboxes should tow fine and with the Geartronic box you can always flip it into manual mode if you ever needed to, but MPG is another issue, the Geartronic on my car (according to Volvos own book) is 9 MPG less than the manual, which is about 17.5% less, now put in the real world and / or put the van on the back and it could be even worse.....

XC70 SE Lux D5 (215bhp) Geartronic (2012MY)
Drivers Pack, Security Pack, Winter Pack, Family Pack, Dark Tint Glass,
Active 4C, Front & Rear Cameras, DAB Radio, Spoiler & Side Scuff Plates.
Chaddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 7th, 2011, 19:22   #5
nigelb

Thanks Chaddie

So, a toss-up between the easy to drive auto or the more fuel efficient manual, hmmm.

I think I'm going to end up tossing that coin, because I really don't know - and prob won't until I've had the car a few months.

Nige
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 12:35   #6
nigelb

Well, after a huge amount of soul searching I've gone for the Geartronics D5.

The dealer took the thin spare wheel package out of another car and swapped it with the pump package so I do at least have a spare, jack etc.

Being automatic the handbrake is less of an issue.

So far so good (mind only done 50 miles!) the thing is so so quiet I can hardly hear the engine, ending up driving along with the music almost turned off so I can hear as well as see the revs.

Rear parking sensor seems a great idea but is getting a bit confused in the snow and with bushes etc.

Not a lot to say yet otherwise apart from "shiny", will report back when I have some fuel consumption figures for towing.

Nige
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 13:02   #7
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

i tow at 1700kg with a manual depending on the wind (outside off course) i get between 32 and 38 mpg so depending on the weight of your van them figures look realistic.not towing in the high 40's
mike
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 13:28   #8
gafferbeagle

Default Manual or auto

Hi,
If mpg is your main concern then it has to be the manual, Volvo themselves indicate a differance of 10 mpg in consumption (solo) in favour of the former. personally I'm on my second xc70 which I use for towing and I much prefer the auto when hitched up, I find I'm more relaxed and drive more "stately". I also have a v50 but with a manual gearbox so I can pretend to be a proper driver when I want to .

Cheers
gafferbeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2012, 18:14   #9
nigelb

Hi

Well, 150 miles in (and no towing yet!) but the geartronics is a delight to drive, easy and laid back.

I figured that I'd do most of my driving not towing, so I chose accordingly (and will just have to put up with the consumption towing). I also noticed that people have found the D5 actually returns better consumption than the D3 when towing, hence the D5 choice (I don't ever expect to need that much power!).

Have used the handbrake a few times now, just to see, but generally I either keep my foot on the brake (if its a short stop) or select Park if its going to be a few minutes.

Having done 130k miles over 7 years in my old manual V70 it is going to take a while to adapt, but so far so good :-)

Nige
Old Feb 20th, 2012, 21:40   #10
nigelb

First refill after ~ 500 miles.

Looking at a bit under 40 mpg, but then over half the tank was used commuting 8 miles each way.

On a longer journey, cruising at 70 or so the consumption certainly improved, I'll come back with some more solid numbers after a couple of tanks.

Nige