Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Trip Log - kWh Interpretation

Views : 254

Replies : 1

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2024, 15:35   #1
crooner07

Default Trip Log - kWh Interpretation

Hi all, just taken delivery of a 24-plate XC40 Recharge Twin Core 82kWh machine.

I have enabled trip log and when exporting/viewing the data can see that a typical drive to work is logged as taking 45mins, covering 17.3 miles and with battery consumption of 10.9kwH.

It is the battery consumption figure of 10.9kWh that I am struggling to understand.

Please from this point, treat me as a complete novice.

If the battery consumption figure of 10.9kWh relates to actual consumption and that is (more or less) a seventh of the usable (82kWh) battery then my projected mileage would be 7 * 17.3 which is a projected mileage of 119 miles. That can't be right. There is a mix of motorway and rural driving there but nothing that brings expected mileage down to those levels.

If the 10.9kWh relates to rate of consumption per hour and and I travelled for 45mins then my actual consumption would be 10.9 * .75 (i.e 3 quarters of an hour). This then gives an actual consumption of 8.2kWh. This is a tenth of the battery capacity, leading to a projected range of 173miles. Closer, but still nowhere near what would be expected.,

Ideally, I want to create a spreadsheet holding the log data and the estimated mileage and actual battery consumption calculated for each trip (I would create formulae to do the latter obviously).

In a nutshell, I suppose, can anyone advise if the kWh figure in the trip log can be regarded as “actual” energy use for the trip (as I suspect is the case), or is that a “per-hour” figure for the trip in question and the actual energy use figure will be calculated from that figure and the duration of the trip, if that makes sense?

Hopefully this makes sense to somebody as it currently makes no sense to me and apologies again if I have made some fatal errors in my assumptions or calculations, but I am currently struggling to see the wood for the trees.

Thanks in advance.

Steven
crooner07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2024, 11:04   #2
SuffolkBoy
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crooner07 View Post
Hi all, just taken delivery of a 24-plate XC40 Recharge Twin Core 82kWh machine.

I have enabled trip log and when exporting/viewing the data can see that a typical drive to work is logged as taking 45mins, covering 17.3 miles and with battery consumption of 10.9kwH.

It is the battery consumption figure of 10.9kWh that I am struggling to understand.

Please from this point, treat me as a complete novice.

If the battery consumption figure of 10.9kWh relates to actual consumption and that is (more or less) a seventh of the usable (82kWh) battery then my projected mileage would be 7 * 17.3 which is a projected mileage of 119 miles. That can't be right. There is a mix of motorway and rural driving there but nothing that brings expected mileage down to those levels.

If the 10.9kWh relates to rate of consumption per hour and and I travelled for 45mins then my actual consumption would be 10.9 * .75 (i.e 3 quarters of an hour). This then gives an actual consumption of 8.2kWh. This is a tenth of the battery capacity, leading to a projected range of 173miles. Closer, but still nowhere near what would be expected.,

Ideally, I want to create a spreadsheet holding the log data and the estimated mileage and actual battery consumption calculated for each trip (I would create formulae to do the latter obviously).

In a nutshell, I suppose, can anyone advise if the kWh figure in the trip log can be regarded as “actual” energy use for the trip (as I suspect is the case), or is that a “per-hour” figure for the trip in question and the actual energy use figure will be calculated from that figure and the duration of the trip, if that makes sense?

Hopefully this makes sense to somebody as it currently makes no sense to me and apologies again if I have made some fatal errors in my assumptions or calculations, but I am currently struggling to see the wood for the trees.

Thanks in advance.

Steven
Hi Steven,

I have sent you a Private Message with some details which hopefully will be of some help to you.