Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

N-Reg, 850 T5-R Auto estate, non-runner, Olive Green

Views : 2057

Replies : 14

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 14th, 2010, 16:20   #1
glennethwest

Default N-Reg, 850 T5-R Auto estate, non-runner, Olive Green

Hi,
I have an 1995, N-Reg, Olive Green, T5-R which I purchased last September (164k miles).

The car recently gave up on me following a long run. Breakdown tell me that the head gasket has gone along with the radiator.

The car is in excellent condition (pictures to follow as soon as breakdown drop it off) and has been well looked after.

When I bought the car this was on the advert:
"Head Gasket and head Done Last Year, Timing Belt Done Last Year, Brand New Radiator, New Brake Upgrade, ECU -RE-map to 270 bhp"
I have the original service book and tons of receipts for the above work. The re-map is from MIJ Performance in Walsall and was £310 - just says custom remap.

I have bought new boot stuts, front lights, boot cover, car jack, repaired manifold gasket and taken good care of it.

I replaced one front tyre last week (Autogrip), all other tyres are in good condition - rears are Hankook. Spare has unused tyre which I put in in October. They are all 205/45/15s. Alloys have some bubbling and spare is burred.

It has MOT to December and I did the following at last MOT.
Replaced rear discs and pads, offside front suspension arm, brake pipes and rear brake calipers. Total of £600.
Everything works in the car - Air con, sun roof, heated electric seats, 6 CD changer etc.

I am open to offers - PM me - or the car will be stripped out and scrapped!

Last edited by glennethwest; Apr 14th, 2010 at 16:40.
glennethwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 16:30   #2
JOHN 850

If the rad. has gone & is not due to a stone etc damaging it, then providing you have the invoice for it, there should be fair come back on the radiator company for all the damaged caused by it's failure !

Btw, is it an auto ? If the rads gone, it could have taken the auto box with it......

Cheers,

John.
JOHN 850 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 16:37   #3
glennethwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN 850 View Post
If the rad. has gone & is not due to a stone etc damaging it, then providing you have the invoice for it, there should be fair come back on the radiator company for all the damaged caused by it's failure !

Btw, is it an auto ? If the rads gone, it could have taken the auto box with it......

Cheers,

John.

The invoices I have state that a new rad was fitted 7/11/2008 and head was done 23/10/2008 - along with thermostat and water pump (all at 152k miles).

The car ticks over but doesn't start. When it ticks over it throws water out of the coolant reservoir which is why breakdown think its a head gasket problem.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 16:49   #4
tc
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennethwest View Post
The invoices I have state that a new rad was fitted 7/11/2008 and head was done 23/10/2008 - along with thermostat and water pump (all at 152k miles).

The car ticks over but doesn't start. When it ticks over it throws water out of the coolant reservoir which is why breakdown think its a head gasket problem.
Not to be picky but how can it tickover if it wont start?, do you mean it'll start but it wont tickover?. What's the oil like?, any mayo?. Might be worth getting a sniffer test done on the header tank, that should tell you if it's the headgaskette, you could also do a compression test. What sort of price did you have in mind for it?.
tc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 16:56   #5
glennethwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
Not to be picky but how can it tickover if it wont start?, do you mean it'll start but it wont tickover?. What's the oil like?, any mayo?. Might be worth getting a sniffer test done on the header tank, that should tell you if it's the headgaskette, you could also do a compression test. What sort of price did you have in mind for it?.
Yeah, that's what I meant. It will start but doesn't tick over - I'm a teacher, not a mechanic!

I changed the oil last week and put a K&N oil filter on it so it's done 300 miles at most. It also has a K&N air filter in it too which will have done less than 800 miles.

I'll take a look at the engine when I get it back later today - it's on its way from Exeter via Warrington as I type.

I don't know what a sniffer test is and I don't know how to do a compression test.

Price wise I don't know. I don't know what it's worth.

Last edited by glennethwest; Apr 14th, 2010 at 17:05.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 16:58   #6
glennethwest

One other thing.

I was considering selling the car anyhow because its costing me £150 a month to drive to work.

I have considered repairing it but of the four garages I contacted none said they wanted to do it or had the time.

Last edited by glennethwest; Apr 14th, 2010 at 17:05.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 17:43   #7
t5pete
The three volvo's

any chance of some pictures
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 18:09   #8
glennethwest

The car has just been returned from the friendly lorry driver.

The tyres are actually 205/45/R17s not 15s as stated earlier.

I've checked the oil and there is no white scum on it. Looking through the oil cap the oil looks low but the dipstick reads fine.

Pictures below. If you would like pics of anything else please let me know.

It seems that the wheel clamps from the breakdown truck have dug in a little to passenger side front tyre but it hasn't affected its inflation and the front spoiler has now got a bit of a crack which I guess is from being towed on/off the truck.

I forgot to add that the car also has a tow bar.
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 19:50   #9
st5ve
S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN 850 View Post

Cheers,

John.
It is an auto, their may be a chance the box has taken a hit if the glass flasks have failed.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2010, 20:21   #10
tc
VOC Member

Doh, I can't believe you had it shipped back from Warrington, that's only down the road from me,lol.
tc is offline   Reply With Quote