Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HIDs question

Views : 512

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 4th, 2023, 17:46   #1
al dm

Default HIDs question

My new to me 2013 XC70 D5 AWD has Xenon headlights with active bending.

I am debating replacing the HID bulbs as they are 10 years old. They still work fine, but I am sure light output has deteriorated since they were new.

When I go to power bulbs.co.uk to look for replacements, I see that they say the dip beam bulb is the Xenon D1S spec. Then they also list "Full/High Beam Headlight (Headlight Flasher)" as an H7.

Now I was under the impression that the D1s is a "Bi-Xenon" bulb - i.e. uses the same Xenon bulb for both high and low beam. Is that correct? (and if so, how does it do that - is it electrical or mechanical?)

And if so, what does the H7 bulb do? Is it just used when the headlights are flashed, or does it also light up when the Xenon bulb is on high?

Anyway.....enquiring minds want to know....
al dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 22:38   #2
XC70Virgin

Yes replace if you can. 10 years is a good run for those.

The H7 is the other main beam bulb that supports the BiXenon unit in the headlight.
Old Jan 4th, 2023, 23:41   #3
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

The H7 halogen is mean beam assist and compliments the bi-xenon on main beam. Hids can take 3-5 seconds to reach decent light output so the halogens are needed for signalling in daylight….
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 08:28   #4
al dm

Good stuff. Thanks.

I have ordered a pair of Osram Nightbreaker D1S Xenarc Laser bulbs for the Xenons, and a pair of H7 Nighbreaker Laser bulbs for the assists.

I'll report back ofter I have fitted them....
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 10:43   #5
SWH

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
Good stuff. Thanks.

I have ordered a pair of Osram Nightbreaker D1S Xenarc Laser bulbs for the Xenons, and a pair of H7 Nighbreaker Laser bulbs for the assists.

I'll report back ofter I have fitted them....
I have them, worth the extra and very easy to change (just don't do it on the lounge carpet like I did).
SWH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5th, 2023, 12:28   #6
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWH View Post
I have them, worth the extra and very easy to change (just don't do it on the lounge carpet like I did).
:-) I watched the VolvoSweden video - so should be no problem at all. I bought a pair of the D1s bulbs for £129, which I though was pretty good as Volvo want £165 each for the OEM ones....

I'll probably use the kitchen table rather than the carpet though!
Old Jan 8th, 2023, 11:37   #7
al dm

I have just replaced the Xenon D1S bulbs, the H7 headlamp assist bulbs and while I was at it I also replaced the turn signals and position lights with LEDs.

I also did the rear turn signals with LEDs.

I might not get to test them in the dark today as I am being taken out to lunch, so may well drink more than the legal limit. At least I am not driving!

MOT tomorrow, so let's hope there are no nasty surprises with this car....
The Following User Says Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 17:26   #8
FreshAir

Quote:
Originally Posted by al dm View Post
I have just replaced the Xenon D1S bulbs, the H7 headlamp assist bulbs and while I was at it I also replaced the turn signals and position lights with LEDs.

I also did the rear turn signals with LEDs.

I might not get to test them in the dark today as I am being taken out to lunch, so may well drink more than the legal limit. At least I am not driving!

MOT tomorrow, so let's hope there are no nasty surprises with this car....
I'm interested whether the D1S replacements give much more light.

I've already changed my H7's to Nightbreaker 200% bulbs - massive difference. Love how easy bulb change is on the V70, it's 100% the best solution to enable the removing of the complete lamp assembly. I can still feel the pain of changing bulbs on a 5 series of 2011 years ago.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2023, 19:42   #9
al dm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshAir View Post
I'm interested whether the D1S replacements give much more light.

I've already changed my H7's to Nightbreaker 200% bulbs - massive difference. Love how easy bulb change is on the V70, it's 100% the best solution to enable the removing of the complete lamp assembly. I can still feel the pain of changing bulbs on a 5 series of 2011 years ago.
The new bulbs give quite a lot more light in my opinion (or course I would say that after spending £130 on a pair of bulbs) and it is significantly whiter as well. The pattern is the same (dip is focussed fairly close to the car, but high beam goes on for miles) as you would expect, but I am much happier with the amount of light being thrown down the road.

The old bulbs were 10 years old, and even if they only degrade at around 3-4% per year, that's still a lot less light than when they were new.

I'd recommend it if you have older Xenons - and the D1S bulbs are even easier to change than the H7s. as they are more accessible.
The Following User Says Thank You to al dm For This Useful Post: