Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 and its dated engine, Volvo need to buckle up

Views : 4958

Replies : 46

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 17th, 2011, 20:52   #1
yeoman
Master Member

Default XC90 and its dated engine, Volvo need to buckle up

Dont get me wrong , I love my XC(0 R-Design , but cannot but wonder why the XC90 is soooooooo lacking in performance and efficiency especially when you compare the XC90 with the AudiQ7 and BMW x5.

Just look at the figures here for the Q7. If volvo came any where near these it would be unbeatable !!

AUDI Q7.
Fuel consumption (urban) 32.8 mpg
Fuel consumption (extra urban) 42.2 mpg
Fuel consumption (combined) 38.2 mpg
0 - 62 mph 7.9 seconds
Top speed 135 mph
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 21:14   #2
ex Triumph Man

On paper I agree. However, for the price of 1 top of the range Q7s, you could get THREE XC90s
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 21:23   #3
TheJoyOfSix
N.F.I

Volvo desperately need a larger diesel engine. The D5 is fine in a car, but hasn't really got what it takes in an SUV. They should have continued with the D6 project, but that got dumped when Ford took over. A nice 3-3.5 litre straight 6 turbo diesel with 250+bhp and 400lb/ft would work wonders.
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 21:24   #4
REDSHEEPRIDD

The "Which" test results gave the Q7 26.6mpg (3.0tdi) and the XC 90 30.4mpg.

Running costs for Q7 111 - 273p, XC90 88 - 119p

You pay your money and take your choice.

Plus could you park it?
REDSHEEPRIDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 21:33   #5
drpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post
Dont get me wrong , I love my XC(0 R-Design , but cannot but wonder why the XC90 is soooooooo lacking in performance and efficiency especially when you compare the XC90 with the AudiQ7 and BMW x5.

Just look at the figures here for the Q7. If volvo came any where near these it would be unbeatable !!

AUDI Q7.
0 - 62 mph 7.9 seconds
Top speed 135 mph
For me you are spot on, a more refined, more performant engine would be fantastic. Likewise the room and road presence of a Discovery 4 would be nice, however the XC90 is (for me) an unbeatable compromise car, sure it gets beaten up by it's rivals in one area of another but as an all round package at the price they come in at (20k less than a Q7/D4 etc) it's pretty much unbeatable. Instead of going for a D4 we got the 200 BHP Exec new and used the difference to buy the wife a brand new Octavia vRS.

If Volvo can find the development costs for the XC90 replacement, keep 7 seats and up the game on the engine front without losing the discounts they'll be laughing though something tells me as soon as a new model arrives prices will be going upwards (or at least discounts downwards!)
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 21:35   #6
drpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDSHEEPRIDD View Post
The "Which" test results gave the Q7 26.6mpg (3.0tdi) and the XC 90 30.4mpg.

Running costs for Q7 111 - 273p, XC90 88 - 119p

You pay your money and take your choice.

Plus could you park it?
30.4 MPG....they must have been pushing it along whilst it was on tickover, lol
drpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 22:36   #7
berkshire

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoman View Post

AUDI Q7.
0 - 62 mph 7.9 seconds
Top speed 135 mph
Beggars belief really. Why didnt you get a Q7 then? Its like saying I really love my house but wish it was by the sea. Well go to the effing seasiside!
berkshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 23:01   #8
yeoman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkshire View Post
Beggars belief really. Why didnt you get a Q7 then? Its like saying I really love my house but wish it was by the sea. Well go to the effing seasiside!
someone needs a double dose of a chill pill this eveing!!
My opening sentence is pretty self explanatory.

The truth( if you can see it) is that the X5 and Q7 have EVOLVED significantly in terms of performance and efficiency over time. The XC90 has not changed that much. Your comments are quite weird,except you had ants in your pant as you typed!
yeoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17th, 2011, 23:19   #9
RoscoMac
Scottish Section Chair

Yes - evolution!

Remember though the xc90 is now 8 plus years old.... as far as I recall, the early X5s werent that great either... and the Q7 didnt exist then. Compared to a Disco TD5 at the time - Volvo engine was superior. Volvo have tried to (belatedly perhaps - but was their fault or Fords!?!?) keep up - new 200bhp engine, etc, but as previous poster mentioned, the new model will hopefully (need) to be able to take get closer to the big boys. Presumably with the xc60, this would allow Volvo to make the xc90 Bigger, without losing market.

As an aside, I did laugh the other day, when I saw my Local dealer trying to sell a white brand new xc90 "reduced" from £39k to £35k.....!!

R.
RoscoMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 09:17   #10
npw

Don't forget, the XC90 was never intended to last this long in it current form. It should have been pensioned off a couple of years ago, but because of Volvo's lack of funds and subsequent sale to the Chinese, the replacement is still some way off. Because Volvo got the original design so right, and it still sells like hot cakes, particularly in America, they have recouped their tooling and R&D costs long ago, allowing massive discounts. When the new car does arrive, expect a modest retail price increase and 'normal' discounts. So where as you can now get an exec for £32k ish, think 10 grand more, and then Volvo will have really stiff competition, and many of us on this forum will probably look elsewhere.

Just my thoughts for what they are worth
npw is offline   Reply With Quote