Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Preparations to European trip

Views : 2824

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 27th, 2011, 13:35   #1
bugi666

Default Preparations to European trip

Guys,

I'm going for a month trip in April, possibly 3-4k miles around Europe...

I was wondering what I should check etc before I go... THe car is running fine at the moment, plenty of thread on tyres, only "bad" thing is very quiet noise coming from front left wheel from time to time when I go over speed bumps... I'm sure it wasn't there few months ago ... So maybe checking the front suspension?

Apart from that, I was thinking about replacing the engine oil and maybe replacing air filter with some KN stuff (have anyone got these on 2.4 diesel?).

Also, knowing the wheel bearings in xc90 can go quite quickly, any chance of checking them before the trip? Or it's matter "no sign beforehand, once they go, it's too late " ?

Other things I think I need ...
I've got emergency triangle, tempa spare wheel, will get 4 high-vis jackets and fire extinguisher soon. 2 sat-nav's available (iGo8 on the phone, and Mio340), I will take all the papers (V5, insurance details etc.)... GB sticker, headlight stickers are already in the boot
I've also got Volvo breakdown cover (EU) so in case of any emergency I should be fine...

Thank you for any tips etc..
bugi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 15:07   #2
JimG
Premier Member

What's the current age and mileage of you car?

I should imagine if it's been serviced regularly then you shouldn't have any issues.

Make sure the Hi-Vis jackets are in the passenger compartment. A colleague was stopped on the motorway by the police in France and was given a fine when he got out the car without the Hi-Vis on. They stopped him just to make him get out the car and commit the offence, no other reason.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 15:26   #3
Big Stew

Spain and Croatia now require 2 triangles , one for just behind the car and the other to set up at a distance. Also Switzerland require that it is carried in the passenger compartment and not the boot.

Last edited by Big Stew; Feb 27th, 2011 at 15:33.
Big Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 16:12   #4
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugi666 View Post
Guys,

I'm going for a month trip in April, possibly 3-4k miles around Europe...

I was wondering what I should check etc before I go... THe car is running fine at the moment, plenty of thread on tyres, only "bad" thing is very quiet noise coming from front left wheel from time to time when I go over speed bumps... I'm sure it wasn't there few months ago ... So maybe checking the front suspension?

Apart from that, I was thinking about replacing the engine oil and maybe replacing air filter with some KN stuff (have anyone got these on 2.4 diesel?).
Also, knowing the wheel bearings in xc90 can go quite quickly, any chance of checking them before the trip? Or it's matter "no sign beforehand, once they go, it's too late " ?

Other things I think I need ...
I've got emergency triangle, tempa spare wheel, will get 4 high-vis jackets and fire extinguisher soon. 2 sat-nav's available (iGo8 on the phone, and Mio340), I will take all the papers (V5, insurance details etc.)... GB sticker, headlight stickers are already in the boot
I've also got Volvo breakdown cover (EU) so in case of any emergency I should be fine...

Thank you for any tips etc..
All the above sounds good BUT!

Dont bother with K+N . Genuine filter will make more sense and be one hell of a lot cheaper. Tried K+N's before and no problems BUT no advantage either for a lot of money!

Darryl
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 18:22   #5
ex Triumph Man

Don't know if you wear glasses or not, but some countries insist you have a spare pair in the car too.

Meant to add spare bulbs as well

Last edited by ex Triumph Man; Feb 27th, 2011 at 18:23. Reason: Forget bit about the bulbs
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 20:14   #6
bugi666

It's a 05 reg, 83k miles on the clock. Timing belt has been replaced at 78k. I know that the rear bearings have been replaced in 2008 (if I remember correctly). Otherwise the car drives just fine ...

Noted the spare bulbs.

I've checked another thing today = my top engine mount is the new one so that's fine - as far as I know the splined sleeve is the original one as well, but still working.... I'm not planning any off road, or driving on a hill terrain, pretty much sticking to the motorways and autobahns ...

Thanks for all the tips, keep them coming!
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 21:33   #7
bugi666

BTW how do I know which type of headlight lamp my car got? Looking at bay, there is a few spare bulb kits, but not sure if any of them got the correct lights... I remember my dealer had "bi-xenon lights" stated in the advert when I was buying the car ... Are these D2S ?
Old Feb 27th, 2011, 22:58   #8
Ron_XC90
Master Member

Some european Countries require you to carry a first aid kit as well. Make sure your Insurance covers you fully comp abroad, as a lot only cover third party.
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2011, 10:13   #9
bugi666

First aid kit is already in the back - I will move it, together with hi-vis jackets and triangle to the passenger compartment before the trip.

Any comments regarding oil change and some mechanical checks?
I'm planning to get some Motul 8100 oil and change it next week maybe...
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 10:18   #10
bugi666

Forgotten to mention... what really, I mean REALLY drive me mad is that I bought the car in June 2010 and I still did not receive Volvo breakdown cover papers. I tried to chase them up number of times, last time in December, and the papers are still not there...
when I call Volvo, I am being constantly switched between : Volvo Warranty, volvo Breakdown, Mondial Breakdown - all round - and still no result...
I phoned them this morning and they claim that even if I order these papers again TODAY, whey WILL NOT arrieve before I go (mid-April) !!!!! Is this a f......g joke ????
When I said I requested them in December, I was very quickly reminded, that they did not arrive probably due to ... SNOW !!!!

I am officially p....d off at Volvo Warranty/Breakdown departments - I'm happy to fill a complaint, as I think I tried everything, and still after nearly 10 months I do not have the papers!!!

And I feel I need to buy an extra AA or RAC cover before I go, because I have lost all my faith in this bloody company... I'm sure in case of an emergency I will be countlessly transferred between Volvo/Breakdown/Mondial and God knows what else ...

What breakdown cover should I get for an European trip? I have briefly looked at AA website, and they're quite expensive (I got a quote for around 300 pounds .... )...