Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Preparations to European trip

Views : 2825

Replies : 33

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2011, 00:21   #21
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugi666 View Post
What breakdown cover should I get for an European trip? I have briefly looked at AA website, and they're quite expensive (I got a quote for around 300 pounds .... )...
Try the Caravan Club; their Red Pennant Insurance is unbeatable and is not too expensive. You will have to join the club as well, but even with the cost of membership thrown in the cover may be cheaper than many alternatives. Another advantage of membership is that they provide lots of very good advice for members touring abroad.
60041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 13:29   #22
bugi666

Some news: Great news!

My german friend phoned ADAC - there is no problem with getting the ADAC Plus from the UK,with the UK address the total cost for a year is 79.50 for the car and all people travelling in it. Much cheaper than AA quote of 272 pounds (for 1 month only!) and 135 quoted by RAC. My friend says the only thing to remember is to cancel the breakdown with ADAC 3 months before it expires, otherwise you will be charged for the following year - which I'm happy to do from now onwards

I will try to get that cover as soon as and let you know guys how the whole process works.
bugi666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 13:32   #23
bugi666

Some news: Great news!

My german friend phoned ADAC - there is no problem with getting the ADAC Plus from the UK, the total cost for a year is 79.50 for the car and all people travelling in it. Much cheaper than AA quote of 272 pounds (for 1 month only!) and 135 quoted by RAC. My friend says the only thing to remember is to cancel the breakdown with ADAC 3 months before it expires, otherwise you will be charged for the following year - which I'm happy to do from now onwards

I will try to get that cover as soon as and let you know guys how the whole process works.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 14:27   #24
kiteski

I am also taking my XC90 to Austria in a few weeks, I have standard lights, so as they are going to be on all the time, I guess I need some headlamp converters.

Can anyone recommend a set?

Cheers,

Greg
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 14:37   #25
bugi666

I grabbed one from the bay, for 4 quid I think - they are the same as what Halfords sell for 8-10 pounds ...

Did not try to fit them yet, but probably will do it before getting on a ferry in Newcastle ...

You car might have actually automatic lights adjustment (I think from MY06 that was an option).
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 14:41   #26
kiteski

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugi666 View Post
I grabbed one from the bay, for 4 quid I think - they are the same as what Halfords sell for 8-10 pounds ...

Did not try to fit them yet, but probably will do it before getting on a ferry in Newcastle ...

You car might have actually automatic lights adjustment (I think from MY06 that was an option).
No it doesn't that was an option I wasn't going to pay for!! I don't suppose you have the link to the ebay auction do you? Searching on there the only ones I can find are £8.
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 14:47   #27
bugi666

Sorry, it was a while ago - I do remember it wasn't just BIN price, someone was selling them privately with starting price of 99p - and I managed to win them for 3 pounds and 1 pound delivery
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 14:55   #28
Ron_XC90
Master Member

If you look in your car's manual, there are templates for where the lights need to be blanked out. There are only 2 small areas and last time I used some standard black insulation tape (£1 for 8 rolls from B&Q)....
Member of the Gloucestershire & Worcestershire 4x4 Response group. www.gw4x4r.co.uk
Ron_XC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9th, 2011, 18:10   #29
kiteski

ah, too late, got some, the magic words to search for on ebay are HEADLAMP BEAM DEFLECTORS, £4.47 delivered, and alot less hassle then black sticky tape at/on the chunnel!!
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 21:23   #30
paul chocks

With regard to AA European breakdown cover, it doesn't cover you at all for the French Autoroutes (as they are privately owned). Something to consider if anyone is basically planning to streak all the way down the A roads to the Alps or the Med.

Other companies may be similar - check the small print as the AA won't be forward to warn you of this!!
paul chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paul chocks For This Useful Post: