Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V70 wont start once warm

Views : 6676

Replies : 13

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 26th, 2012, 13:17   #1
Robimoo

Default V70 wont start once warm

Hi, I have a '98 V70 2.4 Classic. It has been a very reliable car up to this week. When the car is cold it starts fine and will run without any real problem. The problem comes when the car has been left for a short while. The car will not start. If I get the car running from cold, stop it and then try to restart immediately, it will restart OK. It is when it is left for some minutes that it is a problem.

There is spark at the plugs, I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key.

When I try to start the engine, sometimes the starter motor seems to cut after a short time, as if the ECU is cutting it early. Sometimes (rarely) the engine will cough into life, run badly and then cut again.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I am new to the forum so there may be other threads about the same issue that I have not seen.

Thanks
Robimoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 15:48   #2
Robimoo

One further thing. There is a similar thread that mentions Crankshaft sensor issues that are like mine. The thing is my Haynes Manual is not clear on where this is. In a diagram it shows a 'Camshaft sensor' on top of the bell housing, but I thought this would be the position for the Crankshaft sensor. I would have thought the 'Camshaft sensor would have been near the top of the engine near the camshaft , logical. This is where it was on my Wife's Ford Focus. Can someone please tell me where the Camshaft sensor is located and where the Crankshaft sensor is located on a Mk1 V70 2.4L petrol ?

Thanks
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 16:18   #3
Chris_Rogers
VOC Member

The camshaft sensor is indeed on the camshaft, usually the exhaust at the air filter end.

Have you tried monitoring the battery voltage when it won't start?
The starter motor stopping sounds like a failing battery or poor battery terminals.
Chris_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 16:24   #4
mattytowel

I've been having similar problems for a couple of months with my 1995 850 N/A, there's another thread which has other people's suggestions on it. I've already tried a different FPR (used Bosch one), to no avail, so put the original back on. I'm currently running Redex in the petrol to try and clean the injectors in case they are leaking or have other fault - I may use STP cleaner once this tank full is clear. I may also try the Bosch FPR again, in case it was a combination of faults. Some things would be easier to check if I knew how to check the FPR pressure safely.

My car seems to be improving, but I don't know if it's the warmer weather or something I've done.

If you want to borrow a different FPR to see if it makes a difference you can.

Matthew
Yesterday I couldn't spell engineer, now I is one.
mattytowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 16:43   #5
Robimoo

Hi Chris,

thanks. I have tried two batteries, one newly charged. There is no problem with the cranking speed. The problem is very repeatable and the cranking sounds good every time even when it wont start.

I have now found the camshaft sensor. The Haynes manual is hopeless here, but at least I have identified the two sensors and am confident of what is what.

I may try the crankshaft sensor first as it is mentioned in another thread. It is also the cheaper of the two. I have found another thread that mentions that they are worth changing at over 100k as a precaution anyway.

I will let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 16:49   #6
Robimoo

Hi Matty,

Thanks for the offer of the loan of your FPR. Very kind. I see you are just up the road in Manchester.

I'm going to try the crankshaft sensor first. I will let you know how I get on. What were the symptoms you had exactly ?

Cheer
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 17:36   #7
960kg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robimoo View Post

I'm going to try the crankshaft sensor first.

Cheer
Only trying to save you money but what makes you suspect a Crankshaft sensor as this only tells the ECU where TDC is, so therefore in practice if it starts ok cold it will start ok when hot!

I would replace the Coolant Temperature Sensor first this governs fuel amounts depending on the temp. of the engine and is £36 from Volvo.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Last edited by 960kg; Feb 26th, 2012 at 17:49.
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2012, 19:51   #8
Robimoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
Only trying to save you money but what makes you suspect a Crankshaft sensor as this only tells the ECU where TDC is, so therefore in practice if it starts ok cold it will start ok when hot!

I would replace the ECT first this governs fuel amounts depending on the temp. of the engine and is £36 from Volvo.
Hi. Not sure what the ECT is, please give me more info. Is it the temperature sensor ?

I am trying the camshaft sensor because there was mention of it on another thread with the same symptoms and after seeing that I started to google the problem and it has come up as a common issue on other forums including Subaru, BMW, SAAB. The sensor is £46 and about 5 mins to change.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 21:08   #9
mattytowel

Quote:
I'm going to try the crankshaft sensor first. I will let you know how I get on. What were the symptoms you had exactly ?
Have a read in here, for where I'm up to.

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=138245
Yesterday I couldn't spell engineer, now I is one.
mattytowel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 21:52   #10
AllWideDrum

Quote:
Hi, I have a '98 V70 2.4 Classic. It has been a very reliable car up to this week. When the car is cold it starts fine and will run without any real problem. The problem comes when the car has been left for a short while. The car will not start. If I get the car running from cold, stop it and then try to restart immediately, it will restart OK. It is when it is left for some minutes that it is a problem.

There is spark at the plugs, I can hear the fuel pump priming when I turn the key.

When I try to start the engine, sometimes the starter motor seems to cut after a short time, as if the ECU is cutting it early. Sometimes (rarely) the engine will cough into life, run badly and then cut again.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

I am new to the forum so there may be other threads about the same issue that I have not seen.

Thanks
You don't say if it's an auto. I have occasionally had a similar problem traced to a stretched gear selector cable not activating the Park position fully. Engine would spin but not fire. Just a thought.
AllWideDrum is offline   Reply With Quote