Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Lambda light 850 t5

Views : 2003

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 21st, 2024, 12:26   #11
02GF74

Codes 2-3-1 and 2-3-2, fuel mixture out of spec. Could you caused by intake of water vapour?

I'm unable to clear the fault codes.

Haynes manual states
- lead in A-2
- ignition on
- hold button for 5 sec, the LED should light up after 3 seconds but it doesn't.

Is there a way to reset the codes?
02GF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21st, 2024, 13:04   #12
richmac

Hi,

Best guess from what you've described is that the rear O2 sensor got wet/ dislodged.

Some codes can be cleared by disconnecting the battery for 30 mins or so.

Best regards,

Rich.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2024, 16:04   #13
02GF74

ok. battery just disconnected. now to wait 1/2 hour.

That didn't work. Any other ideas?

Last edited by 02GF74; Jan 23rd, 2024 at 17:06.
Old Jan 27th, 2024, 07:14   #14
nickm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GF74 View Post
ok. battery just disconnected. now to wait 1/2 hour.

That didn't work. Any other ideas?
It's generally a Vacuum leak. You can reset the system

Test Mode No. 1 (Erasing Codes)
1) Codes can be erased only after all DTCs have been
displayed and first DTC has been repeated at least once. To erase DTC,
turn ignition on. Press test button on Volvo diagnostic unit and hold
for more than 5 seconds. Wait for LED response.
2) Press button again and hold for more than 5 seconds. Turn
ignition off and on. Start engine. All DTCs will be erased and all
adaptive values reset.
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29th, 2024, 20:31   #15
02GF74

Didn't get round to trying that but there is more to this than I first thought.

The idle rpm has dropped slightly, was about 900, is now 850 but I notice when taking my foot off accelerator such as changing gear, the cars slows down a bit more than before.

Now here's the kicker, mpg has dropped significantly. On a gentle and steady motorway run I was getting 33 mpg, now it had dropped to just over 25mpg.

On the day the EM light came on, I did note the average mpg had dropped a bit iirc was around 32 but should have gone up have crept up due to a long motorway run. It dropped slightly due to the large number of miles done before resetting the trip computer.

The TC was reset due to the battery being disconnected, so now very few miles have been done so it is very clear the mpg is down.

Last edited by 02GF74; Jan 29th, 2024 at 20:34.
Old Jan 30th, 2024, 15:32   #16
richmac

When the Lambda light comes on, the ECU defaults to 'worst case' and increases the mixture to protect the engine. This will manifest itself in the symptoms you're experiencing although I don't know if that would affect engine braking.

Did you check your O2 sensor? The ECU uses the 2 sensors to help control the mixture.
richmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 08:39   #17
02GF74

been reading bout how to test the sensor and also how inaccessible the plug is ....

I will try squirting a bit of WD40 to MAF plug in case water got in (although it should have dried out by now!) and same for the O2 sensors.

Also time to clean out the K&N air filter.

I ok repairing most stuff if I know what needs doing but not so great figuring out what is run in cases like this which could be one of several things....
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 11:35   #18
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Also time to clean out the K&N air filter.
Actually that's one of the first things i'd have done, if you've been through deep water you could have sucked up water into the intake which would soak the filter, and cause all sorts of running issues. Let us know what state the filter and associated pipework is in, I'd be interested to know. If there are indeed any signs of the filter getting wet, i'd be strongly tempted to replace it.
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 12:24   #19
02GF74

Just looked inside and no sign of water. Bear in mind the intake is about 2 ft from the ground, I doubt the water was more than 6 inches.

My best guess at the moment is the water hit the O2 sensor and the rapid change of temperature broke it.

Car is 30 years old this year, 160k miles and still on original exhaust and O2 sensors, the latter I read last up to 100 k miles.

I'll have look underneath over the weekend but I expect the exhaust pipe to crumble when trying to remove the sensor.
The Following User Says Thank You to 02GF74 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 1st, 2024, 13:29   #20
nickm

The times I have got these codes it was always a vacuum leak .
PCV hose on the intake
The boost return on the intake
The Manifold vacuum tree o ring
And the Cruise control.

Quote:
Just looked inside and no sign of water. Bear in mind the intake is about 2 ft from the ground, I doubt the water was more than 6 inches.

My best guess at the moment is the water hit the O2 sensor and the rapid change of temperature broke it.

Car is 30 years old this year, 160k miles and still on original exhaust and O2 sensors, the latter I read last up to 100 k miles.

I'll have look underneath over the weekend but I expect the exhaust pipe to crumble when trying to remove the sensor.
nickm is offline   Reply With Quote