Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Deadlocked car with no working key - observations

Views : 1785

Replies : 24

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 5th, 2019, 12:02   #11
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

Out of curiosity (havent enquired about it as owner still didnt decide what to do) - will programming the non-working key be cheaper than programming new one or its the same software needed? (ofcourse price of actual new key aside).

Also if there is no working keys present, what is official "volvo recommended" way to enable Vida connection and connecting with disabled car. Powering up trough CEM or some other fancy method?
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 16:04   #12
LizardOfBodom

Emm... unexpected turn of events...

I found out about it just now but still cant wrap my head around it.
I am just looking at a generic ebay-like copy of Volvo key that actually STARTS this car and opens it with the blade. remote fob doesnt work.
Car never left our parking lot, in fact was here with battery disconnected until 10am this morning. All I know is that independent locksmith was called in, his van was here for about 10 minutes. Now car starts.
Just to remind all - there was no working keys present and no physical blade on the non-working key.
Whole operation was 150e.

Can someone please explain it to me as I am literally blown away at this moment? I have my theory but need other opinions.

Also I called them straight away ofcourse, I was quoted 100e for a replacement key for my car if I come over and wait 2hrs... Car will start and blade will work but remote fob wont.

How does it stand against the well-known statement "you need to tow your car to volvo and spend kidney bla bla bla...."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tmp1.JPG (18.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg tmp2.JPG (13.3 KB, 5 views)
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 17:32   #13
MDS40

Very interesting indeed.
Keep us informed as i could find myself down this avenue one day.
My car came with just one key, dashboard diagnostics shows two keys programmed.

Some previous cars include: Jaguar x type: Mazda 6 : Mazda 626: Ford Sierra 2.0: Toyota Celica ST 1600 : Hillman Avenger: Triumph Spitfire:
Oh and a Volvo 340 GL 1984 company car from new.
MDS40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5th, 2019, 17:41   #14
Bendolfc
Premier Member

It's a simple explanation. The original key is actually in the car somewhere because it's signal is clearly within range to allow the other key to start it.

As for the blade, it's not a particularly complex pattern and when it was picked it's probably been smoothed off inside so anything will turn it.

Last edited by Bendolfc; Mar 5th, 2019 at 17:43.
Bendolfc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 10:33   #15
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
It's a simple explanation. The original key is actually in the car somewhere because it's signal is clearly within range to allow the other key to start it.

As for the blade, it's not a particularly complex pattern and when it was picked it's probably been smoothed off inside so anything will turn it.
Hehe, if it was only that simple
a) car is NOT keyless entry, require a key in ignition physically in all the time
b) regardless, key was NOT in the car, interior was literally torn apart after opening - no key
c) the barrel is intact and my blade WONT open it, the newly cut blade is distinctively patterned and looks very OEM. I will check today if it works on glovebox lock, just to confirm it is indeed from that car, as by the looks of it barrel wasnt physically replaced at all.

Last edited by LizardOfBodom; Mar 6th, 2019 at 10:41.
LizardOfBodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 11:53   #16
Bendolfc
Premier Member

Have you tried it on your car, I don't think the key needs to physically be in the ignition, just within range. Unfortunately I don't have access to a 2nd non programmed key to test.

Or the other option is someone found they key and put it on ebay and you bought it.
Bendolfc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2019, 14:54   #17
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bendolfc View Post
Have you tried it on your car, I don't think the key needs to physically be in the ignition, just within range. Unfortunately I don't have access to a 2nd non programmed key to test.

Or the other option is someone found they key and put it on ebay and you bought it.
ee...no, key needs to be physically in ignition. When you insert it and is recognised, car does "bzzt" to unlock steering wheel.
I repeat - it is NOT a keyless entry car. My key wont start it, the second key that came with the car wont start it either.

The ebay suggestion is ridiculous, did you read the whole story?
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 04:00   #18
Facusan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
ee...no, key needs to be physically in ignition. When you insert it and is recognised, car does "bzzt" to unlock steering wheel.
I repeat - it is NOT a keyless entry car. My key wont start it, the second key that came with the car wont start it either.

The ebay suggestion is ridiculous, did you read the whole story?
LizardOfBodom, hahaha, you made me come here from swedespeed. couldn’t resist the curiousity. Did you check in the car settings how many keys it shows???

Last edited by Facusan; Mar 7th, 2019 at 04:31.
Facusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 09:42   #19
LizardOfBodom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facusan View Post
LizardOfBodom, hahaha, you made me come here from swedespeed. couldn’t resist the curiousity. Did you check in the car settings how many keys it shows???
Ha! welcome!
no, havent checked yet, he came to work after I was gone but I am hoping to check today.
As I mentioned on SS I am planning on getting replacement key on Sat myself so that will share some more light on this mystery.

There is one thing that is actually worrying me a bit - with his car being 1.6D and known for "loosing key code when battery disconnected etc because of that model just being that way" , maybe the way of coding a key differs on his car vs the T5 electronic. Just guessing out loud here, but you hear so much about how those ford/mazda engines differs from 5pot Volvo ones, I wonder will that make key coding totally different or still the same rules apply?
I guess I find out after I come over with the car and get them to try.
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 15:19   #20
LizardOfBodom

update: checking on waterfall display, car says it has only 2 keys programmed in.
Also I tried to start it with mine and it didnt work so immobiliser still works.

still baffled