Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MOT Failure - Foot brake 'efficiency'

Views : 5086

Replies : 78

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 18th, 2020, 19:37   #41
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiralarms View Post
Yes, done that. With 2 clicks of the peddle, they already binding. You can still turn the wheels with a bit of effort. I can't press more than 9 clicks, does anyone know how many clicks there are? It doesn't feel like there's much room for more.

Though there seemed to be plenty of material left on the shoes, I'll order some new ones, but I forgot to measure the diameter of the inner hub, so I'll need to get them off again before I can.

If you have a look at the Volvo shoes, they have a flat on the top of the linings.

Use these.

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 20:44   #42
WrathOfKain

Quote:
Yes, done that. With 2 clicks of the peddle, they already binding. You can still turn the wheels with a bit of effort. I can't press more than 9 clicks, does anyone know how many clicks there are? It doesn't feel like there's much room for more.

Though there seemed to be plenty of material left on the shoes, I'll order some new ones, but I forgot to measure the diameter of the inner hub, so I'll need to get them off again before I can.
I am looking to do this soon but concerned given your experiences you are having. I find i need to go down a fair few clicks before it holds too. I believe that it should just be a 3-4 clicks. I havent tried the cable as yet and was going to fit that adjuster as general opinion states that is a big hitter for improvements.

I intend to:
1 - Replace shoes
2 - Add the modified adjusters
3 - Cable adjustment

Not quite sure of the order tbh but like i said worried you seem to have done most things without success.
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 20:49   #43
spiralarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60D5-185 View Post
If you have a look at the Volvo shoes, they have a flat on the top of the linings.

Use these.
Ah. I looked through the photos I took when I was cleaning things up and making sure nothing was seized, and it doesn't look like they are genuine Volvo shoes. Though I'm sure that's what I asked to be put on (having previously read everyone say "use genunine volvo parts"), they have no flat top. That gives me something concrete to do. Ta.

As regards the previous comment about "use it or lose it", I can understand how that would apply to the articulated connectors etc, but does it also apply to the braking surfaces? In my case, I am guilty of tending not to use the footbrake on the flat (I don't want to stretch the cables unnecessarily), but my wife uses the brake all the time. Which usually means I drive off with it still on!

Neil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg xc90-rear-shoes-not.jpg (334.3 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by spiralarms; Jun 18th, 2020 at 20:51.
spiralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 21:00   #44
spiralarms

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathOfKain View Post
I intend to:
1 - Replace shoes
2 - Add the modified adjusters
3 - Cable adjustment

Not quite sure of the order tbh but like i said worried you seem to have done most things without success.
There will be more qualified people than myself, but from my own experience. Doing the cable adjuster is easier (but still a fiddle), than dismantling the rear brakes to get to the shoes and install the adjusters. Though you'll probably need to do the cable adjust too, after doing the shoes.

I followed some Russian chap's video on YouTube of removing the center console to make getting at the cable adjuster easier. It's also handy should the cable connections from the y-splitter come off and need reattached.

Neil
spiralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spiralarms For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 21:07   #45
WrathOfKain

Quote:
There will be more qualified people than myself, but from my own experience. Doing the cable adjuster is easier (but still a fiddle), than dismantling the rear brakes to get to the shoes and install the adjusters. Though you'll probably need to do the cable adjust too, after doing the shoes.

I followed some Russian chap's video on YouTube of removing the center console to make getting at the cable adjuster easier. It's also handy should the cable connections from the y-splitter come off and need reattached.

Neil
Yeah i watched that one .... but saw another chaps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQgHx5nt1GI

Mind you he didnt seem to be too sure about it either.

Just reading your post above .... bummer ... you ask ...pay .... but dont get .... i am ordering these

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Bra...97.m4902.l9144
WrathOfKain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19th, 2020, 06:59   #46
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Quote:
Ah. I looked through the photos I took when I was cleaning things up and making sure nothing was seized, and it doesn't look like they are genuine Volvo shoes. Though I'm sure that's what I asked to be put on (having previously read everyone say "use genunine volvo parts"), they have no flat top. That gives me something concrete to do. Ta.

As regards the previous comment about "use it or lose it", I can understand how that would apply to the articulated connectors etc, but does it also apply to the braking surfaces? In my case, I am guilty of tending not to use the footbrake on the flat (I don't want to stretch the cables unnecessarily), but my wife uses the brake all the time.
Neil
What use it or loose it actually means is every few weeks whilst travelling slowly ( about 10mph ) gently apply the parking brake a few clicks to LIGHTLY put the shoe surface in contact with the drum surface for maybe 20 metres or so. Do not be rough.

This keeps everything nice and clean and aids efficiency.

Remember that with the Volvo parking brake, the only time that it has any work to do is when the car is stationary and it is applied, unlike many other cars where the parking brake is just part of the service brake and all of the surfaces are being constantly used and swept clean.

The Volvo parking brake needs to be swept clean as well and that is achieved by doing what I suggested.

Old Jun 20th, 2020, 14:52   #47
drjarmin

Did the cable adjustment in the cabin and managed to get my efficiency up from 13% to just over 17% and enough to pass the MOT retest.

I found the printed instructions for the cable adjustment really confusing but managed to get it sorted with the help from a couple of friends.

My order of new rear rotors, pads, springs etc arrived including a set of those adjusters from EBay so need to get this all fitted before the MOT next year. Probably a job for October as it’s scorchingly hot and humid here at the moment and too hot for this type of work unless absolutely necessary. Will share some pics if useful come the autumn.
drjarmin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to drjarmin For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 17:27   #48
Harley Dave
Volvo Driver

I'll be doing the exact same job later this year/early next too, so will await your "how to" pics with interest.

Cheers

Dave
Harley Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Harley Dave For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 17:40   #49
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john langrick View Post
Yup, I agree with that.

Mine had observations each year, for the last few years, re ineffective handbreak, until my indie fitted adjusters.

Last year, had adjusters fitted prior to mot and delighted there was no mention of hsnxbreak and it actually does work well.

Also use genuine Volvo shoes.

I understand the ideal fix would be to get it working without the adjusters, which, I understand, were designed for another Volvo model. But you will be surprised at how they improve efficiency on an XC90.

But do use the break occasionally as far too easy just to leave it in park.

Oh l

By a bodge which does not support the shoes properly, the adjusters get past other inadequacies in the parking brake mechanism ...
The original H bar has close fitting slots which hold the two shoes squarely to the surface of the drum so they act as one ...
The Brake works fine when it has it's original parts correctly fitted and bedded in and in proper working condition ..
Old Jun 20th, 2020, 18:55   #50
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Clan, when these cars were new they had a parking brake which was adequate but that was as good as it got.

As you very well know these adjusters were fitted as standard to many models throughout the Volvo range.

On a 10 plus year old Xc90 why replace a load of components with new when for less than £15 you end up with a very efficient parking brake.

As you know, I value your opinion greatly but in this respect I think that you are being pedantic and asking people to spend a small fortune in parts and labour based on an unsupported personal opinion as to whether these adjusters are up to the job.

The Following User Says Thank You to S60D5-185 For This Useful Post: