Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

marker light not working

Views : 1435

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2007, 10:17   #11
Blackie

Cool, thanks for that guys!!

1993 Vaux Cavalier 1.8LSi(SRi lookylike)

Northern Ireland, THE place to cruise
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2007, 20:26   #12
Chris1Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toblerone View Post
I just prised mine out with a thin screwdriver, protecting the bumper with a cloth.

There's nothing you can do with the unit once it's out though - it's totally sealed and you need a new one to replace it.
Not if you 'modify' it!

Option one, prise off the lense, you can then replace the bulb and superglue the lense back on (this was my first attempt, the lense broke off as I was removing the unit from the car with a scredriver not wanting to naff around with the bumper)

Second option is to remove the unit without breaking it (!), and get some pliers on the black plastic bulb holder and twist it out from behind - its very tight but will come out. Replace the bulb and refit.

Mine failed the MOT on them not working, which if it had just been that I would have taken issue with them about as I don't think they were testable, but what with everything else I couldn't be arsed so spent ten minutes and two second hand dash bulbs on them!
They are only little 1.2W jobbies.
Saved a few quid.
Chris1Roll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28th, 2007, 14:23   #13
Toblerone

Must depend on the tester - mine went through ok with 2 out!
Toblerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4th, 2008, 21:39   #14
Silver_Oscar

Hi There, You need to take the wheel off and remove the arch liner. The connector is a bit tricky to disconnect. The light itself can be gently prised out by pushing gently towards the back (I think) of the car. As to replacing the bulb, the putty can be picked out and the bulb replaced, Its a bit fiddly and you need to reseal the light or water will get in and ruin the connection. Scrap dealers charge about a quid for a spare but they are very rare, or ebay does a good trade in them.... although I've had a couple of dodgy ones.
Silver_Oscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 10:19   #15
matt182
VOC Member

i found all this a bit confusing bouncing back n fore between p1 and p2. just thought it'd be nice to clarify it:

p1 are sealed units which you have to drop bumper or remove wheel arch liner to remove and are a pain to change bulb (normally change whole unit)

p2 u just plier the marker out like its been said with screwdriver and the bulb is changable on these units (bulb is 501 clear or amber if you have white markers).
literally takes 2minutes to pop out change bulb and back in
matt182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 20:45   #16
Baffler
Premier Member

And some times it isn't the bulb that's gone, which I discovered on my phase 1, but the connector has let in water and corroded the contacts. Scrape off any corrosion with a miniature flat screw driver and spray on some electrical cleaner and allow it to dry before reassembling. This can help solve it.

'96 854 TDI SE, '99 V70 2.5D S, '05 C70 2.0T Collection, '05 S80 2.0T SE, '15 V70 D4 SE Lux Nav.
Baffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5th, 2008, 20:52   #17
scottishvolvo
Premier Member

On the P1 cars I remember reading some where that if you are putting in new ones just break the old ones out, careful with the bumper, and clip the new one back in.
2014 V40 Cross Country
Please consider registering with the Anthony Nolan Trust, you could save a life.
scottishvolvo is offline   Reply With Quote