Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2.4D - no dipstick!

Views : 7808

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 29th, 2017, 10:10   #11
Deadloak

The TPMS can throw a wobbly. Mine came on after I'd switched from a long motorway drive, then getting stuck in city traffic soon after for 40min of stop start. When I got to my destination the tyre pressues were checked, and they were all correct. So it must have been a false alert, although it hasn't happened again, but I haven't done the same journey either.

Although I checked them yesterday and one was out, but no warning.

Both times the calabration was carried out.
As mentioned in previous posts, it is still best to check these things, and due to the above, I can understand why some people want the dipstick for the peace of mind.

Volvo removed the dipstick (so they say), because they were getting too many callouts due to people overfilling with oil.
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 18:29   #12
NigelDay
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadloak View Post
The TPMS can throw a wobbly. Mine came on after I'd switched from a long motorway drive, then getting stuck in city traffic soon after for 40min of stop start. When I got to my destination the tyre pressues were checked, and they were all correct. So it must have been a false alert, although it hasn't happened again, but I haven't done the same journey either.

Although I checked them yesterday and one was out, but no warning.

Both times the calabration was carried out.
I had a slow puncture last year. The TPMS triggers when the tyre in question drops about 20% from the set pressure in the other three tyres.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2017, 22:32   #13
mordred1973

In 87000 miles, I have had to top up with about half a litre mid way between every service. Be it roght or wrong I have never removed the service dipstick (think mine was one) and have believed the dash display all the time. Will let you know in another 80000 if it's caused an issue lol
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 19:41   #14
Paulontour

I must admit I do worry every time I check the oil and the system tells me it’s still on max. I start wondering if its working correctly or not, I mean is the sensor faulty and it’s giving me an incorrect reading. The reason why is I tow quite a heavy caravan and this is the only car I’ve owned that has never needed a top up after a long journey. Having done several trips away this year including a two week trip to Germany it’s still reading max.
Paulontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30th, 2017, 21:15   #15
80sman

Had the same XC60 since Dec 2012 and have never checked or added oil to the engine.

I did replace the car radiator after the car told me the coolant level was low.

Still not checked the oil.

I'll look into it, if the car tells me it's wrong?!
80sman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 09:53   #16
Whyman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulontour View Post
I must admit I do worry every time I check the oil and the system tells me it’s still on max. I start wondering if its working correctly or not, I mean is the sensor faulty and it’s giving me an incorrect reading. The reason why is I tow quite a heavy caravan and this is the only car I’ve owned that has never needed a top up after a long journey. Having done several trips away this year including a two week trip to Germany it’s still reading max.
Get used to not topping up. None of my cars over the last twenty years have needed topping and they have all been used for towing and run up to over 150k.
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 19:45   #17
Fimac

I cant get the oil level to come up on my dash at all. Its a d4 2014, and the oil symbol is there but seems greyed out....

I even looked for a dipstick in case there was one.

do i have to stop for a time before it will read the level ?

the handbook does not help...? suggestions gratefully rec'd !
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 19:49   #18
iain cooper

you need to do it with the engine off.

foot off brake, press start button to bring on ignition only.

then press button on end of indicator stalk, and turn wheel to navigate to oil level.

Iain
Old Oct 31st, 2017, 19:55   #19
Fimac

Thanks

I do that....its still greyed out on the dash......

anything else I can try ?
Fimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2017, 20:36   #20
Roland_F

It's a long push of the start button that's required, not a short push. Very confusing.
Roland_F is offline   Reply With Quote